User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Question Can I somehow hook my 276C up to my PC and use the PC screen to view a larger image?

Howdy All,

I have heard that some where there is some sort of program that allows you to hook your Garmin GPS up to your PC computer and then use the PC screen to view a larger image of what shows on your GPS screen, is this true, if so where does one get this program, what is it called, any idea of how much it costs?

If this program exists is it fairly easy to use, I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I won't be able to figure out.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and yes I did try to search for this information but I must have been typing in the wrong stuff cuss I got nothing.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Haven't heard of any such program that would give you alive screen from the 276C.

There is a free Garmin program called nRoute which allow you to use your Garmin GPS as the live position input. Basically it turns your PC into a large screen GPS.

Here is the link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=575
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
dwvabeach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Microsoft Streets is a mapping application which is GPS enabled. I have connected a GPS through both serial and USB connections to my laptop with the Streets application running and been able to use the GPS locator to mark my position in the Streets application.

Basically turns your laptop into a large GPS. Works great.

There are even Microsoft Streets packages which come with a GPS receiver designed specifically to turn your laptop into a large GPS. Click here for the product description.

Here it is at amazon with the GPS

And here it is at Amazon without the GPS locator

You can either buy the one with the GPS locator for a bit more and keep your 276C for other uses, or you can buy the less expensive one without the GPS and use the 276 with that. I am pretty sure both products are able to use nearly any GPS unit, not just the GPS locator package.

For $35 plus shipping the Streets and Trips 2009 package is a great deal. Good map coverage and lots of features.

DW

Hampton Roads Tag Map
dwvabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
Haven't heard of any such program that would give you alive screen from the 276C.

There is a free Garmin program called nRoute which allow you to use your Garmin GPS as the live position input. Basically it turns your PC into a large screen GPS.

Here is the link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=575

I'm pretty sure nRoute is what he is wanting. It works great on a laptop in the car.
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Thumb Thanks folks...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
I'm pretty sure nRoute is what he is wanting. It works great on a laptop in the car.
Howdy Jeff,

Yes I think that is what I am looking for. Thank you "AugustFalcon" for the link, I down loaded the program, now I just have to figure out how to use it. I looked around the screen that pops up when you run the program but I can't find any sort of instructions on how to use it, so I guess I'll just mess around and see if I can make something happen.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my query.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159
The 276 has NMEA data output so that's most of the problem solved right there. Besides MS streets & trips there's also sw from DeLorme & others.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Zed1k
7 o'clock... DOH!

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon

I've asked this in another thread but it gets no traffic so....
Am I correct that if I have a 60cx and use nRoute with my PC (in the cage) it will it give me voice promt capability -through the PC- even though the 60cx is mute?

Anyone tried this?
Zed1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,017
I think the 60 doesn't do voice prompts, so the answer is likely a no.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
I've tried to use nRoute with a 2820 (or was it my NavII?) a couple of times and it was all screwed up.....telling me to go the wrong direction, telling me I was in a different spot than I was etc. Since I was by myself I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what was wrong. I did try reloading nRoute but that didn't help.

Any idea what was up with that?

Thanks......Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed1k
I've asked this in another thread but it gets no traffic so....
Am I correct that if I have a 60cx and use nRoute with my PC (in the cage) it will it give me voice promt capability -through the PC- even though the 60cx is mute?

Anyone tried this?
Just get Delorme Street Atlas 2009 , plug your 60 into a USB port and now you will have an awesome GPS screen and voice promts , great routing and dual views, very cool
You can get Delorme Street atlas for $39.95
That is the ultimate Vehicle GPS IMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I've tried to use nRoute with a 2820 (or was it my NavII?) a couple of times and it was all screwed up.....telling me to go the wrong direction, telling me I was in a different spot than I was etc. Since I was by myself I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what was wrong. I did try reloading nRoute but that didn't help.

Any idea what was up with that?

Thanks......Barry
I tried running nRoute today (just in the house) and it appears that it may be working right now but it tells me "map detail locked". It does this on both my laptop and desktop pc. If I start Mapsource the maps are unlocked and working but nRoute keeps telling me the maps are locked. I tried unlocking it again but it just tells me the code has already been used.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks......Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Zed1k
7 o'clock... DOH!

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Just get Delorme Street Atlas 2009 , plug your 60 into a USB port and now you will have an awesome GPS screen and voice promts , great routing and dual views, very cool
You can get Delorme Street atlas for $39.95
That is the ultimate Vehicle GPS IMO
Good info, thanks!
Question...
Also considering MS Streets&Trips, which is more capable/inferace friendly with MS Outlook?
....want to use with MS Outlook contacts list, import contacts/addresses into the maps for sales calls, add notes from sales calls/meetings, input future meetings, prompt to re-visit etc.
Zed1k is offline   Reply With Quote