User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
2610 records tracks where?Int.mem or CF?

Hi'Y'all. The question is; where are the tracks recorded in my 2610? Into its internal memory or onto the CF? I am taking a trip of Black Sea (appr.4000km) this summer and Tracklog holds up to 500 km (300 miles)
What am I gonna do?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
2610 track storage

Hi
I have both a 2610 and a cs60 - The 2610 records tracks to the internal memory and I find it's capacity on the small side. I was carrying a lap top with mapsource and downloading the tracks twice a day.
Now I carry my cs60 and write tracks to the internal card and could go for months. I still download every few days just for safety, never had a problem but would hate to lose them.
I wanted to thank you for posting the photo data info a month or so ago - I can't wait to try it.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,585
I bought a data logger to collect tracks, as the 2610 is very limited in recording tracks. The data logger was far less expensive than a new GPS.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
Hi
I have both a 2610 and a cs60 - The 2610 records tracks to the internal memory and I find it's capacity on the small side. I was carrying a lap top with mapsource and downloading the tracks twice a day.
Now I carry my cs60 and write tracks to the internal card and could go for months. I still download every few days just for safety, never had a problem but would hate to lose them.
I wanted to thank you for posting the photo data info a month or so ago - I can't wait to try it.
I have seen it today. I took the CF card out of the unit and the only things I saw were the tracks and waypoints on mapsource. No maps accessible.
CF holds the maps whereas the internal memory keeps the log.
I think I'll need my laptop on my trip this summer.
You wanted to thank me for the ''photomapper'' I shared with you here?
Whatsoever.Glad to have helped you.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
I bought a data logger to collect tracks, as the 2610 is very limited in recording tracks. The data logger was far less expensive than a new GPS.
Better to take my laptop with me than pay more or less the same as a new unit.
Thank you Mark.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Saving the tracks is why I have an eeePC running XP and Mapsource to take with me on the bike. Like a previous poster, my 60CSx stores a daily track in a file that's really nifty. I'll make a copy of those from time to time as well.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimF650GS
Saving the tracks is why I have an eeePC running XP and Mapsource to take with me on the bike. Like a previous poster, my 60CSx stores a daily track in a file that's really nifty. I'll make a copy of those from time to time as well.
That's what I am gonna do.I'll take my laptop with me.Unfortunately mapsource only works with either PCs or laptops rather than PDAs or GSMs.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
aka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Many cell phones can run basic gps/ tracking programs, especially but not exclusively windows mobile phones. Check out www.reperion.com for free software that will track and upload track to their server or www.turboirc.com for a basic gps program that will record tracks, navigate to waypoints, and even display maps (that you have to provide yourself).
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka
Many cell phones can run basic gps/ tracking programs, especially but not exclusively windows mobile phones. Check out www.reperion.com for free software that will track and upload track to their server or www.turboirc.com for a basic gps program that will record tracks, navigate to waypoints, and even display maps (that you have to provide yourself).
That may be another solution but internet connection is another handicap where there is no signal.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
aka
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer
That may be another solution but internet connection is another handicap where there is no signal.
The reperion software, whose main purpose is for logging/ tracking/ blogging caches coordinates on your memory card until it has a cell connection again or until you tell it to send. You can keep it from sending them and just transfer them off the phone when you get back home or find wifi if you like- for example if you don't have an unlimited data connection .
It also lets you upload audio, pictures from your camera (auomatically geotagged) and does this all in real time, displaying them in google earth or google maps,.
Of course, some phones that appear to have GPS really only have "AGPS" which does require a cell signal to get a location. I have an xv6800 (aka mogul) and it still tracks in "flight mode" (all wireless connections disabled).
Old 02-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well,I don't trust much to their GPS softwares. Moreover, I can't afford to buy a GSM or a PDA for now.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
aka
Adventurer

Quote:
Well,I don't trust much to their GPS softwares. Moreover, I can't afford to buy a GSM or a PDA for now.
Fair enough. It was more of a "If you already have a phone that can do it" suggestion. If all you want to do is track, it's obviously not as elegant as a standalone tracker. Among other issues, the cell battery will not last as long and will probably need to be externally powered.

As far as trust- logging where I was isn't really a life-or-death thing for me and a logging device isn't going to help me find way anywhere. Actually, the nice thing about the phone GPS tracks is that you can actually look at them- and know that it's recording, and follow them back, if necessary.

I have a 2610 too- I like it enough that I think I'll get another backup should it ever quit.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Better to take your laptop with you on long trips. No need to carry it for a couple of hundreds kms daily.
2610 will be able to hold them in its memory.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
aka
Adventurer

Quote:
Better to take your laptop with you on long trips. No need to carry it for a couple of hundreds kms daily.
2610 will be able to hold them in its memory.
The phone software is something I've just started playing with. I've definitely had lots of single days that I lost the beginning of when the 2610 buffer filled. It can be as little 5-600 miles if you change direction enough.
Other then tracks, what do you really need the the laptop for long trips- planning and being able to look at larger maps, I presume? I guess I've yet to have the opportunity to take a trip that was long enough or meandered enough that it wasn't mostly plotted before departure. Still, I think I'd choose to supplement the 2610 with paper maps rather then worrying about a laptop getting wet/stolen/etc.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

If nothing ventured; then nothing is gained.
Of course paper maps are vital but on the other hand one you will need something to keep the logs on.