ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Truckin_Thumper OP
low profile
 
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Oddometer: 28,471
Dissecting a .gpx file

I have a pretty large track file (.gpx) that I would like to pull a series of points out and measure the time on those points.
Only problem, I don't know how to pull them out with the info still attached.
__________________
Hawk and some stoopit chicken are idiots
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,339
copy and paste from the track log?

153 3/2/2008 8:36:34 AM 879 ft 147 ft 0:00:03 33 mph 92 true N36 37.536 W92 16.860
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
I have a pretty large track file (.gpx) that I would like to pull a series of points out and measure the time on those points.
Only problem, I don't know how to pull them out with the info still attached.
I don't think understand what you are asking. Can't you just open it in Mapsource and analyze the track that way?

If not, GPX is a pseudostandard based on XML; it's really easy to write code against it, if that's your thing.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Truckin_Thumper OP
low profile
 
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Oddometer: 28,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
I don't think understand what you are asking. Can't you just open it in Mapsource and analyze the track that way?

If not, GPX is a pseudostandard based on XML; it's really easy to write code against it, if that's your thing.
Does each point (dot) have a unique Indentifier? If I could find that out I could follow my race tracks (Sandblast Rally) and see if my time is really what they had recorded.
the Track I have is over 4,000 points (dots) long.

I can open it in Mapsource just fine, but I cannot make out what dots go with what time.....
__________________
Hawk and some stoopit chicken are idiots
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
Does each point (dot) have a unique Indentifier? If I could find that out I could follow my race tracks (Sandblast Rally) and see if my time is really what they had recorded.
the Track I have is over 4,000 points (dots) long.

I can open it in Mapsource just fine, but I cannot make out what dots go with what time.....
They don't have a unique ID, but they do have the time attached to them- so there's a logical ordering to 'em.

It is kind of a pain to match the specific dots up in Mapsource. There's a little trick to it- open Mapsource and your track file, then zoom in until you can see the individual dots and/or the point you want to find the correct track for. Right click on the track, click "track properties". The dot, or the leg between the dots, should be selected in the TP menu.

Does that make sense? Try it out.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Truckin_Thumper OP
low profile
 
Truckin_Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Houston,TX
Oddometer: 28,471
If'n someone would let me email the file......
__________________
Hawk and some stoopit chicken are idiots
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
jwd98056
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jwd98056's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Renton, WA
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
They don't have a unique ID, but they do have the time attached to them- so there's a logical ordering to 'em.
Some GPX track files have time data for each track point and some do not. It probably depends on what was used to create the file or the type/model of GPS used.

It is very easy to associate the points with the detailed data, at least for the latest version of Mapsource. Go to the Track tab and then double click on the track name you want to analyze. This will open the Track Properties window. Click on a point in the properties window and that point will be highlighted on the map. All the data for that point is listed in the track properties window.

Mapsource uses the time stamps in the GPX file to create "Leg Time" and "Leg Speed". There is also a total track summary at the bottom of the properties window.
__________________
Jim or JD from Renton, WA
IBA #32756 - BMWMOA #122647
'05 BMW R1200GS - Desert Yellow (Brutus)
'12 HD Road Glide Ultra - Ember Red Sunglow (JD'sRoad)
'02 HD Heritage Softail - Custom Paint (JDsHog)

jwd98056 screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 09:27 AM
jwd98056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
tedder
irregular
 
tedder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles (ktown)
Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
If'n someone would let me email the file......
ted at perljam.net
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
brfinley
Brooster
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Republic of Davis
Oddometer: 426
When you have the "track properties" window open, near the bottom on the left, click on the the checkbox "Center map on selected item(s)". Now as you navigate up and down the list with the mouse or cursor keys the map will be recentered on the selected trackpoint. It makes it easy to know the location of the selected trackpoint.

This is also pretty handy if you are trying to edit or clean up the track file by deleting eronious trackpoints or eliminating off-trail pee breaks.
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
tbirdsp
REMF
 
tbirdsp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfinley
When you have the "track properties" window open, near the bottom on the left, click on the the checkbox "Center map on selected item(s)". Now as you navigate up and down the list with the mouse or cursor keys the map will be recentered on the selected trackpoint. It makes it easy to know the location of the selected trackpoint.

This is also pretty handy if you are trying to edit or clean up the track file by deleting eronious trackpoints or eliminating off-trail pee breaks.
Once again, you learn something new every day I have been SO frustrated when editing tracks, couldn't find what point I was on in the properties box, answer was right there, Thanks.
__________________
Mike S.
'09 Bonneville Black, '05 KLR650, '07 Yam Majesty
AMA MSTA
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014