Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
ag_streak OP
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Is there any reason I shouldn't jump at this rig?

... with wallet open?

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/1021722348.html

I can't believe the price!

Not the unknown unknowns, like a problem with the bike or setup. (I have just enough dumbness to discover anything obvious on a test ride)

But is there anything inherently scary? Something that an inexperienced hacker such as myself would likely miss? (like "you NEVER add a chair to a KZ1000 police bike")

The owner doesn't know anything about the chair. It's obviously a 562, of unknown vintage. The owners only had it a year and repainted it themselves. I'm going to go see it this Sunday.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated...

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Velorus-Rex

Streak -

An interesting rig - The KZ1000 should be an above-average tug, it already has stronger wheels, stiffer suspension, and should be geared and tuned for torque (gotta LEAP out and pounce on those @#$%^ jaywalkers...)

The 562 Velorex is really a BIT light-duty for a large bike, it certainly should have the larger Velorex axle installed pronto if it's not already fitted, and I'd be tempted to kick it out as far from the tug as I could get it and mount some ballast too.

My biggest concern would be the mount system, I blew up one of the pictures (the rear shot) and it looks like they may have used the Velorex 'Universal' clamp-on mounts and struts (see the big blob at the upper front mount, and how the strut tapers?), which would be VERY marginal for this rig.

I'm thinking that the rear upper mount may just be clamped onto the chrome bag guard (theres a black ring on the front of the bag mount which could be another mount clamp) - this is a major No-No, not only is the geometry all wrong, but those bars were never intended to take the stresses imposed by a chair.

There's also something odd about the lower rear mount too, the right rear picture shows a polished heim joint that's about even with the bike's rear axle. I can't tell how it's attached, if there's a subframe that runs parallel to the swingarm, that would be cool - but if the rear mount goes to the swing arm I'd be VERY CONCERNED - as in what happens when the swing arm, er, ah. um - swings....

Also, take a large flat-blade screwdriver with you, place it's tip hard up against the camshaft covers, and jam the handle into your ear - have someone start the engine while you listen for a dull, hollow, knocking sound. A few taps and some pinging as the engine starts are OK, but a hollow rumble/thud that lasts until the engine oil comes up to full pressure can indicate worn camshaft bearings, a very common issue with older DOHC bikes these days since modern oils no longer include a 'wear protection' package.

Still, a pretty cool rig, and worth sorting out if it runs well - you may need to be pretty agressive about negotiating the price - since a subframe and mounts can easly run a Kilo-buck, as can a head rebuild.

Good luck

Jim

Dr Jim screwed with this post 02-05-2009 at 07:07 PM
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,524
Why not for that price you could probably sell the bike alone for more.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Even if the mounting hardware needs some upgrading it sounds pretty good. I kinda like those KZ police bikes, would be neat w/ a hack.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
ag_streak OP
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Actually, the book value for the bike alone is about $1,850. And a brand new Velorex 562 is what, $2,300? So it's not a ridiculously low price, but IF it's set up PROPERLY, it would be worth (to me) even a premium, to avoid the hassle and expense of having a new car professionally installed and set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Why not for that price you could probably sell the bike alone for more.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
ag_streak OP
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Dr. Jim, Thanks! That will give me a good basis for being skeptical when I take a look at it this weekend. I would be shocked if anyone would connect a mount to the pannier bar!!! But there's a lot more stupidity out there than intelligence, so you never know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim
Streak -

An interesting rig - The KZ1000 should be an above-average tug, it already has stronger wheels, stiffer suspension, and should be geared and tuned for torque (gotta LEAP out and pounce on those @#$%^ jaywalkers...)

The 562 Velorex is really a BIT light-duty for a large bike, it certainly should have the larger Velorex axle installed pronto if it's not already fitted, and I'd be tempted to kick it out as far from the tug as I could get it and mount some ballast too.

My biggest concern would be the mount system, I blew up one of the pictures (the rear shot) and it looks like they may have used the Velorex 'Universal' clamp-on mounts and struts (see the big blob at the upper front mount, and how the strut tapers?), which would be VERY marginal for this rig.

I'm thinking that the rear upper mount may just be clamped onto the chrome bag guard (theres a black ring on the front of the bag mount which could be another mount clamp) - this is a major No-No, not only is the geometry all wrong, but those bars were never intended to take the stresses imposed by a chair.

There's also something odd about the lower rear mount too, the right rear picture shows a polished heim joint that's about even with the bike's rear axle. I can't tell how it's attached, if there's a subframe that runs parallel to the swingarm, that would be cool - but if the rear mount goes to the swing arm I'd be VERY CONCERNED - as in what happens when the swing arm, er, ah. um - swings....

Also, take a large flat-blade screwdriver with you, place it's tip hard up against the camshaft covers, and jam the handle into your ear - have someone start the engine while you listen for a dull, hollow, knocking sound. A few taps and some pinging as the engine starts are OK, but a hollow rumble/thud that lasts until the engine oil comes up to full pressure can indicate worn camshaft bearings, a very common issue with older DOHC bikes these days since modern oils no longer include a 'wear protection' package.

Still, a pretty cool rig, and worth sorting out if it runs well - you may need to be pretty agressive about negotiating the price - since a subframe and mounts can easly run a Kilo-buck, as can a head rebuild.

Good luck

Jim

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Sidi-hartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
Dr. Jim, Thanks! That will give me a good basis for being skeptical when I take a look at it this weekend. I would be shocked if anyone would connect a mount to the pannier bar!!! But there's a lot more stupidity out there than intelligence, so you never know!
Streak -

Nothing mechanical can surprise me anymore, the number of two (and three) wheel abortion-substitutes wandering about loose on our highways is a tribute to American 'Free' Enterprise and and our obvious lack of genetic controls...

Remember, the difference between BUDDHA and BUBBA is only about eight beers - a slim margin at best.

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
ruh roh
hey Yall

Oddometer: 296
KBB.com lists value as 2680 for my area. I paid in that neighborhood (4k) for an older bike with a Vetter car so looks like a good deal to me. Id expect 4500-5k if the economy was better. With good paint and good mount, looks reasonable.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
ag_streak OP
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

You're right! My bad! Too many bikes and numbers swimming around in my empty head!

I just called the sellers again and they can't show me the bike this weekend. It will have to wait until next week.

Thanks, all for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh roh
KBB.com lists value as 2680 for my area. I paid in that neighborhood (4k) for an older bike with a Vetter car so looks like a good deal to me. Id expect 4500-5k if the economy was better. With good paint and good mount, looks reasonable.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
The rear wheel on the cop Kaw is special to that model. It has a shelf made into the rim that allows the tire to be run flat for a while without coming off the rim. That sounds good but, the tire is specific too. And expensive.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
toastmuncher
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
heavy bike-light chair=a recipe for disaster IMHO
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jim
Also, take a large flat-blade screwdriver with you, place it's tip hard up against the camshaft covers, and jam the handle into your ear
What does your otolaryngologist say to that?

You _could_ spring for one of these... four bucks and fits much better in your ear than a screwdriver handle

eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote