User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Skippii OP
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
My GPS mount for $1.80 - pics and instructions.

Well, some pics. I couldn't take pictures during the complicated parts, because my hands were busy. But I'll try to explain what I did.

First, I bought a Grounding Mount from Home Depot.
It's used to connect an electrical ground to a copper pipe to make a good ground contact.

Looks like this.

It actually comes with a short, stubby screw to clamp down the ground wire. Replace it with something a little longer. I used a 1/4X1" hex bolt because it was the first thing I found. Screw it in really tight--you don't want it to come undone. I suppose you could use loctite, but the next two steps would probably negate any benefit of that.

Next, cut off the head of the screw/bolt with a dremel, hacksaw, angle grinder, etc, and then cut off the stem and ball of the suction cup mount that came with your GPS. You know, that mount that LOOKS like it would fit perfectly on yoru gas tank, but for some reason doesn't stick. And seems to stick perfectly on to the tachometer glass, and then suddenly falls off when you're mid-turn.

Now, light a blowtorch and set in on your workspace. With pliers, hold the tip of the cut-off screw in the hot part of the flame. With your other hand, hold the ball in pliers, and heat up the base of the plastic just enough so it gets soft. You do not want to melt it. Nor do you want to burn it.

Stick the end of the screw/bolt into the plastic when it's very hot. The plastic, by the way, is hollow, but the 1/4 screw is bigger. Make sure you get the screw in as far as it will go, all the way in.

Now that the plastic is soft at the base, grab those pliers and squeeze it tight around the screw. I was surprised how easily and well this worked--you have to give it a good squeeze (unless you heated it too much) but you can really feel the plastic crimp around the screw.

...or you could propbably just drill in the plastic and glue it.

Anyway, you may or may not need to trim the longer screws in the clamp to fit in in a nice place on your bike. I didn't on mine, but it was close.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Brilliant!
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
I like the concept. I'm wondering how long the deformed plastic will last without fracturing?
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,995
Use a lanyard to strap it to the handlebars, so when the mount fails it doesn't drop to the road.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Well, some pics. I couldn't take pictures during the complicated parts, because my hands were busy. But I'll try to explain what I did.

First, I bought a Grounding Mount from Home Depot.
It's used to connect an electrical ground to a copper pipe to make a good ground contact.

Anyway, you may or may not need to trim the longer screws in the clamp to fit in in a nice place on your bike. I didn't on mine, but it was close.

Save yourself a allot of work and just drill and tap the Bar mounts
Like this

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Skippii OP
Hookers, my lad.

Huh. That's a good idea, too.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,562
I love the spirit of this. However, rather than mount a $$$ GPS with something that could metal/plastic fatigue the GPS out of existence in a heartbeat, I'd choose to save money elsewhere and go with a RAM mount or something similar. A $1.80 grounding clamp was not designed to survive that type of use.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
brianstanfill
has adventure

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Use a lanyard to strap it to the handlebars, so when the mount fails it doesn't drop to the road.
+3

Tour of the Americas: August 16, 2010 - present
brianstanfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 766
I would rather spend the necessary $24.00 or so to buy a Ram Handlebar Mount. just IMHO.

I purchased two- one for Vee and one for my KLX650. Never had any problem with them. Kudo's if it works for you but I'd rather not even worry about it.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Skippii OP
Hookers, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I would rather spend the necessary $24.00 or so to buy a Ram Handlebar Mount. just IMHO.

I purchased two- one for Vee and one for my KLX650. Never had any problem with them. Kudo's if it works for you but I'd rather not even worry about it.
My friend has one that I've used. I think I like this better.