Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Paradox Pete OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Eh? JAWA 350 twin suitability for sidecar?

A neighbor has and old JAWA 350 twin with a frozen engine and a fairly well-enigineered hack.
I know there were a fair number of JAWA twins with Velorex sidecars at one time.
Any firsthand riding impressions so I can figure out whether or not this combination is worth resurrecting?
Adequate power?
Reliability?
Ease of maintainance?

Paradox Pete
Paradox Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
That sounds like an interesting find.
But your going to be dealing with a 25-30 year old bike that was designed and manufactured with third world countries in mind. I had one of the last Jawa TS 350's sold by the Jawa importer in the late 1980's. It was an interesting bike and I was able to ride a few of them set up as hacks with the Velorex sidecar.
At that time they were very underpowered for a 350, but what power they did make was loads of midrange tork. Even as underpowered as they were the brakes were less than adequate. The bike was softly sprung and rode great, and the frame was strong and super stiff.
No I don't think the Jawa would hold up to modern use, but as a queer relic from the past (they Look like a mid 60's jap bike) it would make a fantastic addition to a stable.
I wish I still had mine !
Hairsmith
hairsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Egads1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
JAWA 350 hack

I currently own a JAWA 350 with a Velorex sidecar. It is easy to maintain and fairly reliable. However I would not take it on any highway with a speed limit greater that 55 mph. The bike has good torque in 1st and 2nd gear but loses it quickly in 3rd and 4th. If you live in a flat area that is no problem but if there are any hills you have to ride like a trucker drives--build speed going downhill and try to maintain that speed going up the next hill. Just a short hill will have you in 2nd gear and at 25 mph.
Egads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,332
At Stonehenge in Western Queensland '93, note the "Power dome", red nose day, truck size, covering the hole in the sidecar for feet to fit.

Same bike sans sidecar at the side car rally on the Murray River last year.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,509
The jawa/Velorex sidecars were actually originally intended for the 350 Jawas.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Love the pictures.

I'd say a Jawa/velorex is a great outfit so long as you don't mind the odd bit of service work and a cruising speed that's not going to be fun on the motorway. Personally I'm an MZ rider and therefore used to a different set of weird components, but ones as good as the other.

My Dad used to work with a chap who had one. Yogi, as a true Jawa/CZ/MZ bodger had developed the fine art of welding cocoa tins to patch the exhaust. I've even seen this guy weld coke cans at a push (not as good as Cadbury's tins) to keep the beast alive.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Cool! I had both a 250 and a 350 Californian, both circa 1970.

The chrome is atrocious on these bikes, I'm pretty sure it was invented purely for export markets. It's the thinnest veneer of chrome imaginable. But they're simple and reliable strokers.

I had my only two motorcycle accidents ever on the 250, within five minutes of each other. They don't stop as fast as a minivan apparently

If it's cheap, and you can live with its limitations, it's gonna be a fun (and smelly, and loud) outfit to fart around on
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote