Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
Nightrunner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,050
I plan to visit later this month. There's a Ural dealer in Mesa so we can take a day trip and see how it fits.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Ural

I would vote for the Ural, since it is already set up for a sidecar. Late model Ural's are very dependable, but of course, nothing is as reliable as a Honda.

However, Ural's are a ton of fun. For short rides with your father, it seems that the Ural would be perfect. If you buy the Ural used, when you do sell it, you'll not take that much of a loss. I love my Ural for rides under 100 miles, but always use my ST for long distance tours.

I admire what you are doing for your father, very admirable, to say the least. I will be 67 next month, and I fear the day when I can no longer ride. I just hope that my sons are that good to me.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)

gec343 screwed with this post 02-15-2009 at 05:53 PM
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Ural?

Spend some time driving a Ural, you will be hooked for life and become a sidecar zombie.

I have an ST1300 that has spent many lonely days since the Gear Up joined the stable.

Speed is a relative thing.

More about fun........and 2wd with high ground clearance is definitely fun.

What are a red neck's last works? "Hey, watch this!".

Ural pilots tend to say that a lot.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #19
Sidecarmikel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Russian sidecars look fine on Valkaries

This is my old rig. The front end was never modified and I really had no problem with handling. If I spent a lot of time in town zig zagging around back streets it would get old, but normally, it was no harder to ride than any other.
Interesting thing about this thread is that this photo shows the new owner riding it away from my home in northern Wisconsin in December of 2008 on his way to his home in Tucson.
I would vote for a Valkyrie, and the sidecar was easy enough for a 92 year old nursing home patient to get in and out of unassisted. If she can do it, your dad will be fine.
Sidecarmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Its got to be the Valk everytime and with something other than a Ural chair,
remember guys this an 80 year old fella who would proberbly like a little bit of comfort,im not saying that he has to wrapped in cotton wool but the Ural tubs are basic,great for dogs and cargo granted but i wouldent put my old man in one

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Thumb Use & Choice

Ultimately it's down to finance and what you ask of an outfit. Urals and Valks have their attributes, but the Honda is made for getting on and riding, again and again. As said previously Ural's are old school and require TLC to give of their best. Plus, and it's a big plus, the Honda will haul anything along, you should see what some have to drag around here in the UK and Europe. Whatever the sidecar it's no problem, it's almost as if the Big H made their flat sixes specifically for sidecar work.

Bottom line for me would when carrying a loved one around would be reliability, unquestionable performance and comfort. However, whatever you choose, you and your Dad ENJOY.
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
Sidecarmikel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead
Its got to be the Valk everytime and with something other than a Ural chair,
remember guys this an 80 year old fella who would proberbly like a little bit of comfort,im not saying that he has to wrapped in cotton wool but the Ural tubs are basic,great for dogs and cargo granted but i wouldent put my old man in one
The best one to answer this would be someone who sits in a sidecar. Although my wife is quick to say that our present Formula II has more room than the Ural, she prefered riding in it. In the Motorvation, as in a previous HitchHiker and Palma, she sits low to the ground. Her head is about even with my belt. In the Ural she was up higher, almost to my shoulder. It was much easier to communicate between the Ural and Valkyrie. Go to www.sidecar.com or SCT and ask the question of passengers rather than owners. You may get a better idea of what will fit your father.
Sidecarmikel is offline   Reply With Quote