Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
norton73 OP
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,301
Anyone got any experiance with Bruno's Machine Shop?

I just pulled the final drive off my K100RS, only to discover the splines on the driveshaft and pinon gear are wasted. Also my R100GS has a clunking noise when I rotate the rear wheel that I believe is the universal joints (i'm not going to tear that down till the K-bike is back together).
Doing a search, I found Bruno's Machine Shop does spline repairs, universal joint repaires, and cylinder head work.
http://www.brunos.us/Drive%20shafts.htm
Anyone have any feedback?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
I just pulled the final drive off my K100RS, only to discover the splines on the driveshaft and pinon gear are wasted. Also my R100GS has a clunking noise when I rotate the rear wheel that I believe is the universal joints (i'm not going to tear that down till the K-bike is back together).
Doing a search, I found Bruno's Machine Shop does spline repairs, universal joint repaires, and cylinder head work.
http://www.brunos.us/Drive%20shafts.htm
Anyone have any feedback?
see here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8&page=2&pp=10

and there're 6 other references if you search the whole board.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
norton73 OP
drinkin'

thanks Cat,
but I did a search under both "Bruno" and Bruno's" before I posted this thread, and only can back with threads posted by "Bruno", a poster here, not the same guy. The thread you referenced only mentioned that he had a driveshaft done by Bruno's, but didn't say if he was happy with the service, etc.
What did you search under? Maybe I didn't chose the right search options.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
strider0
Noob, yeah I know

Oddometer: 116
I had Bruno's redo my splines last winter and I have had no problems. When they came back they looked better than any new stock part that I've ever seen.
strider0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,281
lots of folks on the ibmwr list have used bruno and i've never heard a bad word about the work. go for it.

hiya garth
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Bruno reconditioned my driveshaft (1991R100GS) a few years ago with new U-joints and his work and craftsmanship are first rate. I didn't really need to do it but was heading out on fairly long trip to Labrador and with close to 100,000 kms on the original shaft I thought would be reassurring to have it looked at and replaced if necessary before heading out.
I had met Bruno at a few of our local rallies and he was riding a 1992 R100GS so he knows what to look for. His rebuilds all kinds of drive shafts with CV joints for cars and also for the motorcycle world (including all shaft drive Hondas, Yam and Suz).
His shop is spotless and his work is the same.
Fortunately, I live about 3 hours north of Bruno (he's located in Kitchner, ON, Canada) so I just dropped in the paralever to him. 4 days later picked it up.
He had a number of shafts in from Europe as well as the USA that he was working on so he's quite up on shipping the product all over the world.
Don't think you'll be disappointed with his work.
moosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #7
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
.... Also my R100GS has a clunking noise when I rotate the rear wheel that I believe is the universal joints (i'm not going to tear that down till the K-bike is back together).
be careful if your shaft U-joints are going bad - if you keep riding it like that you may risk damage to the tranny output bearing/seal from the vibration... I replaced mine 2 years ago with a rebuild from Erich Demant, and even though I believe I caught it early and stopped riding (fairly easy in my case, it was December!) I now have a tiny bit of tranny oil in the paralever every time I loosen the rear-most boot. Not enough leakage to be tearing the tranny down, but I'm keeping an eye on it. FYI...

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:32 AM   #8
norton73 OP
drinkin'

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback folks. The final drive and the driveshaft for the K100RS are going out to Bruno's today.
Gringo-don't worry, I pushed the GS into the back of the garage. Don't want any surprises while riding.
I'm riding my wife's K75S in the meantime, she's just got a R80ST that she loves, so the little K is sitting idle.
But you don't want to know what it's costing me...