ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Professor Longhair OP
Free and easy.......

Oddometer: 850
More Zumo Help

You'd be getting the idea I'm a bit of newbie with these Zumos by now.

I can't work out how to store show different map sets, I can transfer either shonkymaps or tracks4oz to the zumo but never both at once. When I look at the maps loaded on the Zumo it is either City Nav and Shonky or City Nav and Tracks4Oz, never all three.

I see some of you blokes talking about how you save them to the SD card. I have busted a nut on that one and can't work it out, anyone care to help?

Cheers
Professor Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,443
I know bugger all about Zumo's, but if it has a memory card I'd assume the mapset will download to the memory card, as the GPS60 does (fine unit too ).
I found that you need to select all the maps you intend to use and it builds a single file with them all in, so you can't add them separately at a later date on the 60 series. I'm assuming the Zumo works the same (but garmin could make me look silly too).
There is a limit on the number of map "tiles" you can bundle and compile into a mapset for the unti, something like 2025 tiles from memory. This seems to be the main limiting factor. Otherwise you can stuff multiple mapsets on a single unit with abandon as far as I can tell.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
The City Navigator Australia NT 2009 maps are in the internal memory of your zumo.
These factory loaded maps are in file called Garmin\gmapprom.img.

When you use the MapSource program on your PC to load maps it creates Garmin\gmapsupp.img
This file can be either in the internal memory or on the SD card.
If you want to load several maps together from MapSource then you need to select them all together and load them in one hit.
If you load one map and then a second map then the second load will delete the first map.

The MapSource program will not delete the factory loaded City Nav map.

If you have several maps on your zumo and they are all selected then a priority scheme comes into play.
If City Nav is selected then it will always display as it is the highest priority map.
Only one map at a time will display.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Professor Longhair OP
Free and easy.......

Oddometer: 850
Alrighty then, thanks for the sterling advice. I dug a bit deeper and found when transferring the maps to the zumo, it looks for the device and when found a drop down list allows me to choose the SD card. It's all good now, I have all three sets in the machine and can view them one at a time.

Thanks again, drinks on me one day?

Cheers
Professor Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
criboun
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm a Zumo neebie and am also having lots of trouble loading gmapupps.img files onto my Zumo (using the SD card). From reading this thread I think I now know why. Please can someone confirm (how stupid I am being).

Do I have to use MapSource every time I want to load a img file onto the Garmin or the SD card that will go into the Garmin?

Originally I was just taking the img file I had downloaded from MapCentre2 and changing the file name to gmapsupps.img. Then copying the gmapsupps.img file onto the SD card before sloting the SD card into the Zumo and turning it on.

The Zumo could not find the gmapsupps.img I have just loaded. I think the Zumo could load the gmapsupps.img if I placed it in the Garmin folder using the USB connection.

Please help!

Ollie

Greasy Sprocket
criboun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,443
If you have the image file already created you can load it directly onto the sd card via a card reader, it is HEAPS quicker than USB.
Just note the standard directory structure that the unit is expecting to find on the card, preferably by looking at a good working one before you go trying stuff.
I back my card up periodically via a card reader, and have all my mapset images and tracks stored on the laptop too. I can just drag'n'drop them to a card and make them as I go.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
criboun
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the info GodSilla.

Unfortunately I haven't got an example SD card to work with. Do you think I should put my gmapsupps.img file in a 'Garmin' folder on the SD card and then slot it in?

Thanks,
Ollie

Greasy Sprocket
criboun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by criboun
Thanks for the info GodSilla.

Unfortunately I haven't got an example SD card to work with. Do you think I should put my gmapsupps.img file in a 'Garmin' folder on the SD card and then slot it in?

Thanks,
Ollie

Greasy Sprocket
The file is called 'gmapsupp.img' and needs to be in the Garmin folder or the GPS will not read it.
MapSource on the PC will automatically create it in this folder.

Does not matter if it is on the SD card or internal memory.

Unsure whether you will be able to rename an existing file as it depends on the format.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote