User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #91
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Question

Hey what size tires you guys running in the rear, I can't decide whether to go with the 130/80-17 or 120/90-17 for something more street oriented.

EDIT: note to self: lrn 2 search

WhereAmI screwed with this post 04-06-2009 at 10:24 PM
WhereAmI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #92
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
well, that was the longest day i was pretty rooted at the end, in hindsight was COMPLETELY ridiculous, i dont think the engineers at honda designed in parameters for anyone who would be stupid enough to punish a bike that much.

'my frame is not filled with wood' - thats going to go into my signature from now on.
This is really funny.

I asked Adam, aka Fully Geed, a long time ago what his ADV username meant, and I think I remember him saying something like, "It's an expresion used by Australian bicycle racers meaning they're really amped up about the race they're about to ride or sometning."

Now we've got an aussie who has put a quote of his in his signature line, "My frame is not filed with wood", based on the Aussie's own skewed visual interpretation of one of his photos.

I think it's hilrious!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #93
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
This is really funny.

I asked Adam, aka Fully Geed, a long time ago what his ADV username meant, and I think I remember him saying something like, "It's an expresion used by Australian bicycle racers meaning they're really amped up about the race they're about to ride or sometning."

Now we've got an aussie who has put a quote of his in his signature line, "My frame is not filed with wood", based on the Aussie's own skewed visual interpretation of one of his photos.

I think it's hilrious!

it is at the very least recursively amusing...I now understand what was meant by 'frame filled with wood' by which waterscm meant the interior of the frame tubing itself. I thought you were referring to that space where the engine usually goes as being inside the frame...no the frame tubing is where I put the rolled up $100 bills after doing my big drug deal with the rich cocaine guy at the end of some random airport runway...just like Peter Fonda would've done...

but yeah, Geed. You aussies have some good road cycling culture, not to mention some pretty f-ing fast cyclists going through the AIS programme. I'm hoping Robbie Mac has a few more years (Stuart O'Grady for that matter, too), always like the way he squirts through the pack when the going gets dicey...

BTW: Epic Thread-Jack....uhm...Ricky Stator! What Jets you all running? Jesus How come Honda made it a 17" rear Rim???!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #94
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
This is really funny.

I think it's hilrious!
yeah, isnt it wonderful how different cultures dont mesh at all, thats how ww1 started.

i just think the line: 'no, my frame is not filled with wood' is possibly the best sentence in the whole of the advrider site.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #95
fully_geed
Listens to Tom Waits

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
yeah, isnt it wonderful how different cultures dont mesh at all, thats how ww1 started.

i just think the line: 'no, my frame is not filled with wood' is possibly the best sentence in the whole of the advrider site.
Someday, when the oil runs too dry underneath the earth's crust, I'll rig my street tracker up with a REAL WOODEN ENGINE, though the air source will be plugged directly into me arse:

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #96
God of Speed

awesomeness!

how interesting would it be to watch that engine over heat.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #97
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,961
I have the full story on Ride Reports, but thought I would post some pics here....Bought the bike in Phoenix and rode it...part way home.

Here's the ride report...... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452777

By the way, this is a 1985 XL600

By the way, the bike looks really little....but I am 6'4", 250lbs!!!
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Big_John screwed with this post 04-11-2009 at 10:50 PM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #98
handirifle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Dude!
You shoulda bought a KTM with one of the 57" seat heights they are famous for and you wouldn't dwarf the bike.
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #99
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by handirifle
Dude!
You shoulda bought a KTM with one of the 57" seat heights they are famous for and you wouldn't dwarf the bike.

Interestingly, both the '83 and the '85 XL600's fit me pretty darn good. The '83 belongs to my 6'3" son and the '85 belongs to me, but my 6'2" son will ride it. I have no complaints at all...and that says a lot after doing a 420 mile day.

My bike is a 650 VStrom that is raised and it is awesome!

Anyway, I am a fan of the KTM's but if I dropped some dough on a KTM, it would be the 990 adventure.

Anyway, this thread is about the XL's....and the bottom line is...they are awesome bikes!!!!!
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #100
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoflane
Interestingly, both the '83 and the '85 XL600's fit me pretty darn good.
I have a bit more work to do raising the handlebars, but I find my '85 fits me pretty well, too, at 6'6'' height.

Now that I live in ABQ, NM, I think I have moved to where my ol' XL600 has always wanted to be.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #101
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 495
I bought my '83 XL600 for $600 back on April 1st and so far it has cost about $100 in parts. Levers,screws,filter, speedo cable.
With additional work I have to have done at a machine shop and remainder of fasteners replaced,I figure about $200 more.
I stripped 2 exhaust bolts and 2 cylinder head bolts.Going to replace all of the top-end fasteners. Don't want to have to experience that again.
While changing my clutch cover gasket, I noticed my pulse generator looks like cr ap

Guess I'm going to replace it anyway. Fairly cheap,$17.
Overall from what I can see on the bike,should have it back on the road/trails by May.I have been riding m/c since 1982 so kind of use to find issues. True joy is when you get it back on the road.
Looking forward to that
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #102
God of Speed

i have yet more xl600 goodness:

i rode out to an enduro weekend and my xl was the only bike competing that had not come on a trailer. it didnt do too badly either and although i weigh less than half of what the bike does i had no trouble dodging the trees through the enduro course. but i only managed 5 laps before my tiny arms fell off.

on the 70minute highway journey home i thanked my lucky stars that i own what must be the ultimate allround motorcycle ever, no doubt seeing as a complete amateur can put a new clutch in without much trouble and then immediately ride 100ks out and flog it all weekend and then ride back home without a problem. let alone a bike thats over 20years old and cost less than 2500aud.

id like to see a 20 year old and cheaper than 2500aud thats not an xl do that. and if you can find one, then ask if it would stand up to a trip like the one i did cruising at 110kph for 8hours a day for several weeks! i dont think so.........
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #103
trailrider71us
I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer: 112
Fs: 85

I put a nice 85 XL600R up for sale under bikes in the flea market.here is the link:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453023
Sean
86 BMW R80G/S
Rokon 2X2
trailrider71us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #104
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider71us
I put a nice 85 XL600R up for sale under bikes in the flea market.here is the link:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453023
Sean
you are crazy!
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #105
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
My XL Pics.
XL600R Pictures

From DS Ride 11-16-08