User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Mikey Monger OP
When pigs fly...

Oddometer: 279
Works Performance

I just received a discount coupon from Works Performance. Has anyone tried one of their shocks on an R100 GS?

How about their re-valve job on the stock shock? Does it do any good? I do a lot of off road riding and bottom the suspension fairly often.

I could also use some recommendations on heavy duty fork springs.

It's nice to be a lunatic

Mikey Monger screwed with this post 10-11-2004 at 02:16 PM Reason: kant spel
Mikey Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
My R65's PO put Works fork springs and shock on right before I bought it. The bike handles nice (not a surprise for an Airhead) even when its leaned over (a mild surprise for an Airhead) with full luggage and lotsa corner speed (definitely a huge surprise for an Airhead). I'd even spend my own money on their stuff.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
I have one ...

http://www.nohorizons.net/Pictures/works.JPG

Love it ... soft when needed and hard when at speed and cornering.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Send a PM to Ctn. Ron, he had one for quite a while before going to a Fox. His old works is on my R100GS, but I've only done around 2,000 miles and haven't had it long enough to give a fair eval......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Mikey Monger OP
When pigs fly...

Oddometer: 279
Thanks to all for the info!

It's nice to be a lunatic
Mikey Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
I have one too -w/separate reservoir. Seems to be infinitely adjustable in every sense - solo sport commuting to heavy two-up camp touring - I can always find a very happy spot on this thing and haven't gotten anywhere near either end of the adjustment range yet. I've got at least 20K on mine and am certain it's the best money I've spent on upgrades for my '92 GSPD.

If you upgrade the rear, upgrade the front at the same time - I didn't and it made for some sketchy handling! Now have progressives in there, very nice combo w/ the Works on the back.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
I have one too -w/separate reservoir. Seems to be infinitely adjustable in every sense - solo sport commuting to heavy two-up camp touring - I can always find a very happy spot on this thing and haven't gotten anywhere near either end of the adjustment range yet. I've got at least 20K on mine and am certain it's the best money I've spent on upgrades for my '92 GSPD.

If you upgrade the rear, upgrade the front at the same time - I didn't and it made for some sketchy handling! Now have progressives in there, very nice combo w/ the Works on the back.
Infinite adjustment? I just have spring tightness to adjust. I have the remote reservoir. Am I missing something?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Well, the spring preload alone can certainly be set much softer or harder than I would ever want. But haven't you played with the rebound and damping? Mine's got a large knob on the reservoir, and a ~5 or 6mm allen screw on the lower shock unit. It took me awhile to understand how to get those just right both in relation to the spring preload, and balanced with respect to each other. Having previously known only the stock shock's inadequate adjustment range I overdid it badly on these settings at first and discovered the Works has a ridiculously broader range than stock in these settings as well. If you play these off each other then I don't think 'infinite' is much of an exageration, but somewhere in there is guaranteed to be a just-right spot for damned near anyone these bikes can carry.

Having suffered the limitations of my stock shock for years, I enjoyed being able to try out several different 'personalities'; lived with each for a week or more and then screwed with it some more until I finally settled on a pretty hard setting that works very nicely for all but the most heavily loaded riding, when I just boost the preload a number of turns. But if my back flares up from time to time, I know how to get to a nice, cushy yet firm ride that is still far superior to the '63 Caddy wallowing my bike used to have as its only mode.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi
Am I missing something?
depends on which model you get.... some have adjustable preload and rebound settings. their page is here..... what have you got?

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/bmw.html

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Well, the spring preload alone can certainly be set much softer or harder than I would ever want. But haven't you played with the rebound and damping? Mine's got a large knob on the reservoir, and a ~5 or 6mm allen screw on the lower shock unit. It took me awhile to understand how to get those just right both in relation to the spring preload, and balanced with respect to each other. Having previously known only the stock shock's inadequate adjustment range I overdid it badly on these settings at first and discovered the Works has a ridiculously broader range than stock in these settings as well. If you play these off each other then I don't think 'infinite' is much of an exageration, but somewhere in there is guaranteed to be a just-right spot for damned near anyone these bikes can carry.

Having suffered the limitations of my stock shock for years, I enjoyed being able to try out several different 'personalities'; lived with each for a week or more and then screwed with it some more until I finally settled on a pretty hard setting that works very nicely for all but the most heavily loaded riding, when I just boost the preload a number of turns. But if my back flares up from time to time, I know how to get to a nice, cushy yet firm ride that is still far superior to the '63 Caddy wallowing my bike used to have as its only mode.
I have an R80G/S. They didn't make a shock with all the adjustments for mine .. I still like it, though.