User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
cold_fire OP
Famous Head Scratcher

Oddometer: 289
Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

I believe we're all used with being asked how fast is the bike and how many mpg does it get. But have you ever been asked something that simply blew your mind?

I'll start with mine. The advantage of riding in remote places of an almost non-biking country.

- "Sir, is that a real BMW or it's just the badge?" (people here are used with chinese replicas, therefore the question is almost a legitimate one; asked 3 times already, waiting for more)
- "Duuuuude, does your bike has two engines?!" (asked a number of times, I usually try to explain the boxer design, but if all fails I tell them the right one is the turbocharger)
- "Since when does BMW make motorcycles?" (coming from a tuned BMW 3 series owner)
- "Yeah, a BMW is a BMW!" (especially the seniors tell me this as in the communist era the guy on a BMW motorcycle was the real cream of the crop)
Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
izzat cher chain layin' back there?

'zat hurt?

Kin I git that of'en ya?

'at's gonna leave a mark.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Moto_Muffin
Motorcycle Muffin

Oddometer: 288
"Is that your motorcycle?" "Did you ride that here all by yourself?"

And other iterations of the same. Oy, people.
Moto_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
The walk up and start chatting crap...I hate that anytime, but it only seems to happen when you're busy with something, like trying to figure out why it won't start, or your cell phone is ringing. It's as if they're looking for an opportunity to interrupt.

People suck.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,484
" How fast will it go? "

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
i'm with you. i think its great when people approach me. i don't mind it at all.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
from young kids/teens

punk: "can I ride it?!"
me: ..... (visor down, pretending not to hear)
punk: "hey yo...YO!!...YO!!! can I ride it?!"
me: what?! (thoroughly annoyed now)
punk: "can I ride it?!"
me: (slow and scornful headshake signaling the answer is NO)
punk: "come awwwwn, my brother lets me ride his bike!"
me: go ride it then...

meanwhile my seat is 37" high so most of these brats couldn't even mount the bike with one foot down let alone ride it...the begging just annoys me
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
CyHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
...Yeah, that happened to me just last week. I stopped at an intersection and a teenager walked up to me and said, "Can I take it around the block?"

My response." What?? No way."

His response, "Hey, I'm not playin"

I just laughed and rode off. People are insane.
2004 BMW R1100s
2003 Suzuki SV1000n sold
2003 BMW F650CS sold
1981 Yamaha QT50 "Yamahopper" Joy of my youth
1976 Honda CB360T Rebuilt and gifted to Dad
CyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 965
"Why do you have a camera on your helmet?" from the car in the next lane at a red light.

Light turned green, so I shrugged, said, "Why not?" and left them behind. Stupid answer on my part, but the priority was the green light not a witty answer.

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_fire
I believe we're all used with being asked how fast is the bike and how many mpg does it get. But have you ever been asked something that simply blew your mind?

I'll start with mine. The advantage of riding in remote places of an almost non-biking country.

- "Sir, is that a real BMW or it's just the badge?" (people here are used with chinese replicas, therefore the question is almost a legitimate one; asked 3 times already, waiting for more)
- "Duuuuude, does your bike has two engines?!" (asked a number of times, I usually try to explain the boxer design, but if all fails I tell them the right one is the turbocharger)
- "Since when does BMW make motorcycles?" (coming from a tuned BMW 3 series owner)
- "Yeah, a BMW is a BMW!" (especially the seniors tell me this as in the communist era the guy on a BMW motorcycle was the real cream of the crop)
My brother, who does own a BMW car too, will pull that line the other way - "I didn't know BMW made cars! When did they start that?"

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,062
"Hey man, you got any spare change?"

"When you gonna get a REAL bike? Haw haw haw haw." (Three guesses what sort of turdwagons these guys are riding.)

Actually, I've been asked that question a couple of different times by dudes driving a pickup with a Hardley-Ableson sticker and/or license plate on it. That's right. They're real bikers who ride REAL bikes. Except when it's below 75 degrees or above 80 degrees or raining or it looks like it might rain or there's a cloud off in the distance or their assless chaps are a little squeaky or it might get dark at night or a bug smudged the chrome last time they rode or they're hung over or there might be stinky dead animals in the road or there are other vehicles on the road.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Most common: "I didn't know BMW made bikes."

Next most common: "Can you do a wheelie on it??"

I have one guy in my neighborhood who every time I ride past him does a wheelie motion with his hands like he wants me to wheelie the bike. Once he was walking his dog past my house as I pulled up so he asked me, "How come you never do a wheelie for me dude??" I pulled the 12 pack of Sierra Nevada out of the top case and said, "I don't want to break my beers dude!!"
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
outpostbabu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Two incidents that come to mind with regard to non-riders asking questions or commenting on the bike have to do with the mechanics of my old F650GS. As I pulled up to a stop one day I noticed a long metal pole just to the left of the bike so I kicked it out of the road so nobody else would find it the hard way. The bus driver next to me slid open her window and said "Sir! Sir! I think your kickstand just fell off." I thanked her for her concern and explained it was just a metal rod in the road. Another time a gentleman approached me at a gas station to show me something was falling off my bike. It was just the Scott Oiler dispenser reaching down towards the chain at the rear sprocket. I explained to him what it was and he was intrigued that such a thing existed.

As silly as the questions/comments may seem, in these cases, I'd much rather people ask me about potential problems with the bike than to say nothing when they see my wheel falling off!
outpostbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
chtucker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Back in 1987 when I rode my BICYCLE from NYC to Seattle during a high school summer break..

Arrive at the YMCA in Seattle and get asked by a kid hanging out on the steps...

"Was it all downhill?"
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote