Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi Mike...thanks for the advise. If I knew this about dual shocks then I would have gone that way. Oh, well! So far the Tilt actuator works OK. Been playing with different road crowns and it sure does make a huge difference.
The twin-shock set-up is all new, a request made while I was on tour down in South America on u'Hack 2.0 and the "catastrophic" shock failure I experenced. Jay was in the middle of building the chassis and rigging for U'Hack 3.0, set what they had done aside, and built a new sub-chassis and trailing arm for the tub with dual Progressive shocks mounted in tandem (one fore, one aft). My thinking is, each shock should only have to "work" half as hard, and, should one fail, there is still one out there working, double-redundancy (though, in this case, only half the spring rate).

Even with this set-up, I'll still always carry one spare shock with a heavy spring installed, so worst case, should both the twin shocks fail, I can install the single spare with a heavier spring rate and carry on.

I may seem to be goving overboard with this whole shock thing, but I have had a Progressive shock failure on every long-haul tour I've taken so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
I am in communication with Klaus at Hyperpro who sold me the bike shocks to see whether he can come up with something a bit cheaper. Plan on sending my OEM Progressive shock to him for spring testing(1 day turnaround). Then see what he has to say or has in store. I have very limited room and cannot have any of the shocks with pre-loader handles.
Can you reply with the exact order/model number of the HyperPro's that you've ordered for the bike? I might be willing to given them a try. I've seen too many failures with the Ohlins, WP and Fox Shocks. So far, the OEM shocks that BMW installs on the line have been the most reliable, but the spring rate is really too soft.

Thanks!
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

mikepa screwed with this post 04-18-2009 at 06:10 PM
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote