|04-22-2009, 08:39 AM||#1|
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
The KaTaMaki 650 ADV project (KTM LC4 gets a twin engine swap)
EDIT: Gadget Boy has kindly renamed the thread on my request. It started out as "Which engine would you swap into a LC4 Adventure frame" and has since turned into a bit more than just another stupid idea of mine.
I have been looking for a new project bike to add to the stable and came across an '98 LC4 Adventure rolling chassis. Seems like a cool base to start from as I always loved the bike but didn't trust it after my last LC4 blew up on me. With my DR650 (that I will keep) I went the other way and changed out pretty much everything but the engine, so this will be an interesting contrast.
Here is what I am thinking in terms of criteria (I reserve the right to change my mind at any given moment ):
1. Frame fitment: Engine mounts are no problem, but I'd like to avoid major surgery to the frame tubes if possible. So I'd guess that excludes most twins (at least the V's) unfortunately. It would also be an advantage if the output shaft was mounted on the right.
2. Proven reliability: Absolutely critical. I can deal with issues that are known and can be changed out in advance (like base gasket NSU screws on the DR) but not a critical engine/gearbox failure without warning. Sorry to all you orange Kool-Aid drinkers, but that excludes the LC4.
3. Low maintenance: 3000 mile oil service intervals at the worst, preferably longer.
4. Fuel economy: FI (as long as it's reliable) would be a big bonus here. I like to twist the throttle and with the highway speeds over here even the bone stock DR engine with vacuum carb sucked fuel like crazy. I'd say 55+ mpg in mixed riding would be a good goal.
5. Performance: I like torque and a decent top speed even when loaded. I am thinking 600cc+.
I realize that engine swaps are always a loosing proposition as far as time and monetary investment go, but I enjoy wrenching almost as much as riding.
So let's hear your opinion!
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM screwed with this post 07-10-2009 at 05:55 AM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|