Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 03:17 AM   #16
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo
If you find one of these neglected in a garage, stay away from it. They are dangerous. They shimmy. They vomit oil.
Do not approach it. Just call me immediately to handle the problem.
I'm already there - Fiona's a Kiwi who's only ever owned an automatic 125 scooter, so I'm gonna have to give it a run as it has the manual gearbox

Oh, and how come a 65-year old bike appears to have a better headlight than an R1150GS

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:45 AM   #17
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
I'm already there - Fiona's a Kiwi who's only ever owned an automatic 125 scooter, so I'm gonna have to give it a run as it has the manual gearbox

Oh, and how come a 65-year old bike appears to have a better headlight than an R1150GS

Must be from that powerful 6 volt, D cell battery.
So what's the history here? Family heirloom? It's obviously been stored inside. Fire that MoFo up and give us an IOM Fall ride report.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:32 AM   #18
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,293
You might take a look at this website; http://www.classicmotorcycleday.org/photogenl.html
There's a shot of a prewar BSA on a trailer being towed by a Goldwing w/sidecar. You'll have to scroll through the shots to find it.
The 2003 B&E day was rainy, the BSA owner was a ex-pat. Britisher in his 70s, he rode down with his teenage granddaughter on the back of the GW in the rain from Buffalo NY to just north of Washington DC. that morning.
I saw them come in, and helped unload the BSA, they were nice folks. The granddaughter was enthused about being there, inspite of the cold and wet ride. Nice to see the younger generation holding an interest in old bikes. She'll probably be a future ADV Rider.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:57 AM   #19
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Must be from that powerful 6 volt, D cell battery.
So what's the history here? Family heirloom? It's obviously been stored inside. Fire that MoFo up and give us an IOM Fall ride report.
Fiona's wanted a pre-war bike for ages - she moved to the island about 5 years ago (after leaving New Zealand, working on cruise ships for a couple of years etc) - she rode her 125cc scooter up from Jersey in the English Channel, so that's 2 ferry crossings and over 400 miles! Adventure rider extreme

She bought it over 18 months ago from a dealer in the UK - it's been stored since (at first under a nylon tarpaulin outside, then in the garage when they moved house). Took ages to find someone to take it through the Manx roadworthiness test (including servicing it) and it needed various bits like seat springs - she's still looking for a main stand that pivots around the rear axle area.

I aim to ride it, but it's not registered over here yet so illegal to ride on the road - and each time I go over there, we tend to end up having a few too many beers for me to get on it the next day

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #20
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,215
Rallybug,

Try looking here for advice/helps/parts:

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/

Came across it the other day when looking at something else.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #21
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

I'm prolly preaching to the choir, here, but any Brit period rear stand 500cc and smaller would work. I couldn't see the squiggly catch piece on the fender, but she'll need that too. Isn't there an antique BSA or Triumph club on the mainland? One of those old timers would have something. Option two would just be to make one.

BTW, how about a pic of Fiona?

Last week, a buddy picked up a BSA first cousin, 63 Matchless G12

Old 10-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #22
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Dt1 ... Ossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
This is all a little before my time. My first real bike was a 71 DT1 250. Rode a lot of old Bultacos and other late 60's and early 70's dirt bikes when I was in ny early teens.Does this count as old school? Me on a 73' Husky at the Shamrocks GP around 1990 I think. Won my class and got 3rd OA on a loaner bike.
I'm amazed that there's all this interest in old British bikes in the USA.

I know your DT1 well. My first real bike (after a Suzuki AS50 and a Yamaha 50 - we had licencing laws that restricted 16-18 year olds to 50s) was a Yamaha CT2. Friends had DT1's, one had a RT1, one had an RT2 360 (awesome, powerful bike), my uncle was a sugar cane farmer and the company replaced his horses with an AT1. After a year or so I wanted better offroad capability and I bought a new OSSA 250 SDR (Six Day Replica).

I just found a picture of one. I wish I hadn't sold that bike. It had everything I wanted and it would be perfect for me to use for trail riding now. It really handled well -- compared to the Japanese trail bikes, at least. The Pirelli mud knobbies didn't last long. They were good on the road - I could stay ahead of my friends' big road bikes because of the OSSA's ground clearance, good handling, and although the knobbies would start wriggling on the edge, they were so sticky that it was quite controllable. The OSSA was much lighter than the Japanese trail bikes - it didn't have indicators or all the wiring the Jap bikes had, it was just made to be lighter. The little taillight was polished cast aluminum. The engine cases and the fork sliders were also polished aluminum, unlike the Jap bikes which had a type of clearcoat that would go yellowish and let moisture in when it was scratched and then the alloy would oxidise. Lots was alloy - Dural, they called it. The exhaust had a really good black wrinkle finish paint. (Which I need now.)

[ ! damn, I can't upload it - work computer, we've got this WebMarshal thing; it blocks the BIN file -1 byte that the attachment manager wants to download.]

[looks like i managed to copy-and-paste it, but it's not working with the other one.]

Then, the hot bikes were Honda fours and Kawasaki 900s / 1000s. There were still Bonnevilles around, but we didn't like British bikes -- we knew about the oil leaks and the unreliability and the terrible Lucas electrics.

cat screwed with this post 10-09-2004 at 08:50 AM
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #23
MotoMike OP
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,981
I rode that DT1 literally to death. Used to ride in the dirt every day to some degree, then when I got out of high school I moved to Vegas and rode in the desert every day until the gear box let go. Had just enough gears to get home. Bike was so worn out by that time that I just took it to the dump and chucked it.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:40 PM   #24
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

1930 BSA Sloper.

And a closeup of a home made rear stand for Rallybug and Fiona.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #25
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,313
M20wd

Just can't pass up posting my M20 again...

ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #26
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,387
One day I'll find a scanner an post a picture of my old M20 I used to ride,you'll spew when you see it.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #27
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
asd

my old bsa 441 victor

jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #28
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649