Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #196
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird54

was yours the birmingham resurfacing? - I have booked the op but just been warned as below so comments welcome!!!

I got a 2nd opinion yesterday and this guy says yes the Birmingham is the most popular but not for surfing as you can never bring the knee up more than 90 degrees to the body as risk of dislocation - and he says if that happens in the surf u will drown

He says the large size metal/metal inserted into a cut off femur is better especially as it suits my hip bone architecture [wider hips]

Not the one for much older people with the smaller ball and longer spigot into the femur.

I am not talking about this sort of surf either;-) http://www.billabongpro.com/tahiti09/
I am at 9 weeks and already am beyond 90 degrees daily. I am having the second one done in June and will be playing hockey (goalie) by Christmas. I have been told of no such restriction after the first 60 days.
IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #197
Clydascope
What's Inyo Belly?

Oddometer: 285
Quote:

the Birmingham is the most popular but not for surfing as you can never bring the knee up more than 90 degrees to the body as risk of dislocation
I can bring my knee to my chin with my 1st Birmingham, 125 degrees or so.

I fell last weekend with most of my force on that leg in a way that brought my knee to my chest and then I sprung right up, no problem.
Clydascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #198
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
He says the large size metal/metal inserted into a cut off femur is better especially as it suits my hip bone architecture [wider hips]
Sounds as though your second opinion is recommending a partial hip replacement (replacement of the femur head). It is my understanding that a resurfacing is less invasive and therefore more stable than a replacement.

I am a 4.5 month post-op total hip replacement (ball & socket) recipient and my surgeon has just now let me break 90 degrees with the understanding my leg is to be turned away from the mid-line of my body: never knee in----for the rest of my life.

I have been told that I if I do cross my "bad" leg over my mid-line, I will be putting myself at great risk of a having a dislocation. I've had it happen once, don't want it to happen again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have a clue why your second opinion would recommend a replacement over a resurfacing if you are a candidate for resurfacing. As far a I know being a candidate for resurfacing is based on the integrity of the femur and acetabulem and not on you "hip architecture".

More research or a third opinion might be in order.

I AM NOT AN ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON---I AM ONLY CONVEYING MY EXPERIENCE---I COULD BE ENTIRELY INCORRECT---I OFTEN AM

BEEMERPECKER screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 06:39 PM
BEEMERPECKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #199
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
My doctor gave me the standard hip replacement. Large diameter ball and socket. He said that the Birmingham wouldn't be good for me do to my size (230) and my job (firefighter). I have been without restrictions since 6 weeks. This doesn't meen that I went desert racing at 6 weeks, however I was able to surf at 8 weeks after my legs got thier strength and range of motion back. Over all I can't believe how good everything has turned out for me. I think about how FUBARed my life was before the opperation. I could hardly walk let alone do much else. I am doing everything now except running, I never was much of a jogger anyways.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #200
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

I think I'm pretty safe in saying I have not been the typical hip replacement/resurfacing patient. It could very well be my surgeon is having me be overly cautious because of my history. I do know that at this point in time I am willing to avoid ANYTHING that might put me at risk of going under the knife again; three times has been more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER
07/15/08 - Triple fracture - left acetabulum.
- Internal fixation - 1 plate, six screws.

08/29/08 - Avascular Necrosis of left femur head.
- Total hip replacement - left hip.
- not a candidate for resurfacing.

12/31/08 - artificial hip socket detaches from pelvis.
- hip revision (replace artificial hip - left)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #201
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil
My doctor gave me the standard hip replacement. Large diameter ball and socket. He said that the Birmingham wouldn't be good for me do to my size (230) and my job (firefighter). I have been without restrictions since 6 weeks. This doesn't meen that I went desert racing at 6 weeks, however I was able to surf at 8 weeks after my legs got thier strength and range of motion back. Over all I can't believe how good everything has turned out for me. I think about how FUBARed my life was before the opperation. I could hardly walk let alone do much else. I am doing everything now except running, I never was much of a jogger anyways.

I'm 6'2" and 270#, and the surgeons at UC Davis didn't hesitate for one second to recommend the resurfacing over a total replacement. For one, it preserves the femoral head, therefore allowing a total replacement down the road, should that become necessary. I'm 44 years old, and still maintain a fairly active leisure life, and my job is very physical, so the Birmingham made the most sense.
I've been able to bend my leg past 90 degrees since about the 90-day mark, post surgery, and aside from some muscle pain and soreness, I've had zero problems. I'm coming up on the one-year mark (5/29) and I truly couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out. The resurfacing gave me my life back, as I'm sure a total would have.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #202
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
I'm 6'2" and 270#, and the surgeons at UC Davis didn't hesitate for one second to recommend the resurfacing over a total replacement. For one, it preserves the femoral head, therefore allowing a total replacement down the road, should that become necessary. I'm 44 years old, and still maintain a fairly active leisure life, and my job is very physical, so the Birmingham made the most sense.
I've been able to bend my leg past 90 degrees since about the 90-day mark, post surgery, and aside from some muscle pain and soreness, I've had zero problems. I'm coming up on the one-year mark (5/29) and I truly couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out. The resurfacing gave me my life back, as I'm sure a total would have.
I'm with Al, although I am only 10 weeks out, I feel like a new man. My Doctor advised me that the Birmingham would have less restrictions than a total and therefor was better suited for my lifestyle....BTW is "active leisure" an oxymoron?

I am over 90 degrees already. Pretty much the only restrictions I have now are impacts as the hip is still adapting to the hardware and crossing my legs...although I have caught myself sitting with them crossed on a few occasions....bad habits I suppose.

I am told I will be back playing hockey within 6 months of the next one which is scheduled June 18. As far as everything else, I have already golfed, I can walk about as far as I want (but who wants to?) and of course ride. I am back working on the cars and bikes in the garage. And like I said before, I haven't taken even a Tylenol since about March 18 (the day after St. Patrick's day....go figure).

I know everyone is different but for us young guys (41), I recommend serious discussion and consideration of the Birmingham if you want to stay active. I am sure there are benefits to the total, but for my age, situation and lifestyle, it was not a hard decision to make for me.
IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #203
freebird54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You guys have been so much help

thanks so much - I got more information from this site than any ortho site!!

I put the link up for the one the 2nd guy proposed - this is it

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/R3...stem_24410.htm

This is the british one. I think you also have the Stryker which may be similar

I am 61 muscular build, 38 waist [average beer gut for Australians] wt. 100kg sedentary lifestyle other than surfing golf and walking

I have asked my surgeon [no reply yet] if he can decide on the day what is best once he opens me up.

The other guy seemed to think from my xrays that I had too long a bone which would create too much leverage on the Birmingham - I still lean towards that from what you all say
freebird54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #204
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Quote:
thanks so much - I got more information from this site than any ortho site!!

I put the link up for the one the 2nd guy proposed - this is it

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/R3...stem_24410.htm

This is the british one. I think you also have the Stryker which may be similar

I am 61 muscular build, 38 waist [average beer gut for Australians] wt. 100kg sedentary lifestyle other than surfing golf and walking
FYI---I will be 49 next week. 6' 2 1/2", 225 lbs. Was in pretty good shape for a soon to be AARP'er before all this happened.

l believe there are basically 3 types of total hip replacements:

1) metal ball - metal socket
2) ceramic ball - ceramic socket
3) metal ball - "plastic" socket

My surgeon used the "metal ball - plastic socket" type for the following reasons:

1) Ceramic on ceramic has been known to break and has a tendency to squeak.

2) Metal on metal is relatively new. It is believed that as the joint wears, metal isotopes will enter the blood stream. My surgeon advised me that I would have to have my blood monitored until such a time that the long term effects of this "foreign" metal was ascertained.

3) Went with metal (some sort of cobalt alloy I believe) ball and "plastic" socket. This joint has stood the test of time. Its failing in he past has been the durability/life expectancy of the plastic socket. My doctor told me the latest polymers used in the socket implanted in my hip should last 20 years if not my lifetime. I guess only time will tell.

I would also ask what shape socket is to be used. A socket that "wraps around" the ball helps the hip from dislocating after surgery until the joint scars up, but tends to wear out faster than a cup shaped socket which does not "grip" the ball.

I think the best thing you can do is get a good surgeon. I believe my first two surgeries were fucked up by the same surgeon. My last operation was done by a surgeon who has patients from all over the world come to him to have hips done (FYI - had a very good experience at Naples Community Hospital in Naples, Fl). Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't let the first surgeon cut my finger nails. I would give my second surgeon free rein to do whatever he thought best and I wouldn't bat an eye.

BEEMERPECKER screwed with this post 05-15-2009 at 08:17 AM
BEEMERPECKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #205
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

I hear what your saying about the resurfacing. My doctor was on the panel that got the resurfacing procedure approved in the U.S. At that time there were very few doctors in the U.S. doing that procedure. The ones that were hadn't done very many. A total hip was the best course of action for me at the time. My doctor thought that I would have a better outcome with the total hip. I couldn't wait any longer as I couldn't work any more due to weakness in that leg. I did get to see a total hip that was removed from a patient after 25 years. It had very little wear on it, kind of like a door knob where the shiny finish is dull. It was taken out of a guy who had the initial surgery in his 20s, however back then the glue they used to cement the shank and cup to the bone caused the bone to weaken or die so the joint replcement would become loose. Mine was pounded in, no cement. Anyways I am coming up on two years and the replacement is working out great. Like I've written before, I am able to do all of the things I was doing a few years ago before I lost all of the range of motion and got weak. Plus all of the crazy pain I had in my back, legs and other hip is also gone. I was walking crooked for a couple of years, no fun!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #206
freebird54
Adventurer

Good news -so can you bring your knee up to your chin or chest?

My GP says Birmingham resurfacing ok, the surgeon said he will decide when he cuts me open as I told him of my concerns re. surfboard - riding specifically getting to my feet - waves break fast here as you can see from the pics - and we get them every day check the past reports - you guys are welcome to share a few waves www.burleighcam.com.au - probably that plus snowboarding/skiing did the damage

Quote:
I hear what your saying about the resurfacing. My doctor was on the panel that got the resurfacing procedure approved in the U.S. At that time there were very few doctors in the U.S. doing that procedure. The ones that were hadn't done very many. A total hip was the best course of action for me at the time. My doctor thought that I would have a better outcome with the total hip. I couldn't wait any longer as I couldn't work any more due to weakness in that leg. I did get to see a total hip that was removed from a patient after 25 years. It had very little wear on it, kind of like a door knob where the shiny finish is dull. It was taken out of a guy who had the initial surgery in his 20s, however back then the glue they used to cement the shank and cup to the bone caused the bone to weaken or die so the joint replcement would become loose. Mine was pounded in, no cement. Anyways I am coming up on two years and the replacement is working out great. Like I've written before, I am able to do all of the things I was doing a few years ago before I lost all of the range of motion and got weak. Plus all of the crazy pain I had in my back, legs and other hip is also gone. I was walking crooked for a couple of years, no fun!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #207
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Greetings Freebird,
If I lost a few pounds and streched I could put my knee to my chin. I am as flexable as I want to be. I do have to work out so I can pop to my feet. The side with the replacement takes more effort to stand up if I don't exercise. I am riding long and short boards. No problem. I waited too long for the surgery so I had some large bone spurs that may have complicated matters for me. The Dr. removed them during surgery. Where are you located. I spent 6 weeks in Coolangata in 1981 and again in 1982. I got some great surf..........from Snapper to Burliegh
Old 05-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #208
freebird54
Adventurer

Thanks for that

I live at Burleigh www.burleighboardriders.com - glad u have sampled our waves Snapper works better now but crowded - possible to surf from snapper to Kirra

live now
www.coastalwatch.com [+10 hrs GMT]

Quote:
Greetings Freebird,
If I lost a few pounds and streched I could put my knee to my chin. I am as flexable as I want to be. I do have to work out so I can pop to my feet. The side with the replacement takes more effort to stand up if I don't exercise. I am riding long and short boards. No problem. I waited too long for the surgery so I had some large bone spurs that may have complicated matters for me. The Dr. removed them during surgery. Where are you located. I spent 6 weeks in Coolangata in 1981 and again in 1982. I got some great surf..........from Snapper to Burliegh
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #209
freebird54
Adventurer

Hi all

All done on the 19th 3 hr operation, Had full general anesthetic - as they couldn't get needle in right spot for epidural /spinal and could only try so many times and the operation team were waiting in the "machine" shop. Their tools were bigger than I had as an auto engineer!

But I have to take care moving - clicked something last night getting into walking frame so waiting for nice physio lady today [she has had 3 hips done starting young]. Everyone amazed I was mobile on 1st day [Walker of course]

My feet are tied to a bed and I have these funny pneumatic things on them that pulse all night to stop blood clots. Got rid of the tubes coming out of my leg for drainage and also a 12' long catheter - you can guess where that went ;-)

have an polish friend sharing a quite large room with me threatening to call police and sue everyone as he claimed he wasn't lifted correctly for his post op xray [as he tells everyone 100 times] - snores all night too.
I think everyone is trying to avoid him now - you really feel for the staff who are well trained in tact.

He did start off OK though - very intelligent and well traveled, about 15 years older than me. Lives in a huge house with his ex-wife but they are not together, He loves gardening and cleaning. Ex champion wrestler, skier, surfer etc.?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #210
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Freebird,
You will be amazed at how fast the recovery is. Listen to the Docs and don't push it. It takes some time for everything to settle. I think that at the 1 year mark was when I really felt like my back was back to normal and all of the wierd pains I had in the other hip went away. You will be stoked and amazed!