Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
jimbee OP
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
Airhead Neutral Switch Leak Fix Thread

Hey'o

Background: New neutral switch installed as part of tranny rebuild. Leave on long trip. 5,000 miles into trip, oil starts leaking onto ledge beneath tranny. Figured it was the rear main seal that I just replaced - figured I f**ked up the install. Oh well, now home and pulled the tranny to get ready to pull clutch assembly to change rear main seal when I notice that it looks DRY up there - doesn't look like an engine oil leak!? Where could this oil be coming from....

Eventually put it all together: it was tranny oil leaking from the nuetral switch (might explain why shifting has slowly been getting notchier!)

Called Tom Porter and he explained that it was just what happens to these crappy switches. He suggested that since the tranny is already out to put in a new one - and he is sending me one no charge.

There have been some people here that have claimed to use JB weld to seal the switch and I am going to try to do something like this with the new switch before installing it. My thought is to tape (mask off) the two contacts, the threads, and the swtich assembly and then coat everything in a layer of JB Weld. I'll take some pics and report back...

Has anyone got any tips, pictures, or suggestions to doing this right?

CHeers, James