Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #826
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckoby

Based on what I have seen in this forum I have come to the conclusion that we are all XT legends. Here is my trusty steed.
Hey Sckoby, where did you get the screen and the bashplate from? The XT riders here in aus are few and far between. Good to see another aussie XT owner on here.
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #827
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
[quote=Calkins]Is that because of the aluminum sleeve?[/quote
The TT motor has a chrome sleeve.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #828
Icehole
HOOLIGANZ

Oddometer: 65
My 89 XT.
She's a blast!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #829
madmikesmech
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question XT or TT 600 need help with ID

Hello, nOOb to the forum here.
I need help IDing this one, its an '85 no call letters that I can find. On the ID tag it does state "meets epa noise specs" does this mean it WAS a road legal XT enduro? Some one told me the TT model was non existant in this model year? The displacement is 595cc. Great forum, thanx Mike
madmikesmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #830
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
That would be a 1985 TT600N. '83 & '84 had front & rear drum brakes and '85 & '86 had a front disc & rear drum brakes.

2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
WANTED - Boss Flat Track Frames - WANTED
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #831
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Thumbs down

So... i had a Factory Pro jet kit installed in my 1994 XT600. So far, im kinda on the fence.

Ive ordered stuff from FactoryPro before and always had good success, but this kit is rather disappointing. the "kit" cost me $80+ shipping. After i got it to the shop to install they discovered the kit does not come with a new pilot jet... BUT the directions call for the stock pilot replacement. Seems kinda odd to me.

So the shop installed the kit.... the bike idles great and starts easier than ever. But it falls flat on its face from idle to about 1/4 throttle. After 1/4 throttle it is a whole new bike! It has gobs of power and pulls really hard. But at slow speeds like parking lot turns its almost dangerous from the stumbling.

Before anyone recommends it... the fuel screw is already out 4 turns. Im doing my best to locate a #52 pilot screw (any help would be great). Im riding the TAT in two weeks so i hope i can get it sorted. The shop offered to drill out my pilot and i guess i'll do that as a last resort.

Overall, this would be a great kit if it came with the pilot. Too bad it doesnt.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #832
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Get a few small bits and drill out the pilot.
Trial and error. Start small and get larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
So... i had a Factory Pro jet kit installed in my 1994 XT600. So far, im kinda on the fence.

Ive ordered stuff from FactoryPro before and always had good success, but this kit is rather disappointing. the "kit" cost me $80+ shipping. After i got it to the shop to install they discovered the kit does not come with a new pilot jet... BUT the directions call for the stock pilot replacement. Seems kinda odd to me.

So the shop installed the kit.... the bike idles great and starts easier than ever. But it falls flat on its face from idle to about 1/4 throttle. After 1/4 throttle it is a whole new bike! It has gobs of power and pulls really hard. But at slow speeds like parking lot turns its almost dangerous from the stumbling.

Before anyone recommends it... the fuel screw is already out 4 turns. Im doing my best to locate a #52 pilot screw (any help would be great). Im riding the TAT in two weeks so i hope i can get it sorted. The shop offered to drill out my pilot and i guess i'll do that as a last resort.

Overall, this would be a great kit if it came with the pilot. Too bad it doesnt.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #833
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikesmech
Hello, nOOb to the forum here.
I need help IDing this one, its an '85 no call letters that I can find. On the ID tag it does state "meets epa noise specs" does this mean it WAS a road legal XT enduro? Some one told me the TT model was non existant in this model year? The displacement is 595cc. Great forum, thanx Mike
What part of western NY are you from? Im 20 miles south of rochester.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #834
Icehole
HOOLIGANZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando
Hey guys, I have been lurking on this site for a while, and registered just the other day. I have been cruising craigslist quite a bit trying to find a used dualsport for under $2000 or so, and found a 1989 XT600. Now, my only motorcycling experience was with a Yamaha Virago 1000 for 30 days while on my learner's permit last year (I am 19). That bike killed my confidence, not to mention that I crashed, but it was at a low speed and luckily I didn't get hurt. This spring I am going to take the MSF, which I should have done last year but was an idiot about it. I want a bike that can go more places and has less horsepower (that bike was quite snappy), and this seems to fit the bill. Now, my question is, is this bike too much for a new guy? I am a bit over 6' tall with a 32" inseam. I have never used a bike with kickstart before, but my dad had a bunch of bikes back when he was younger and now has a Harley (don't pick on him too bad ). Will this bike be too much of a bitch to kick? From the looks of this thread and a little googling it doesn't seem like parts are too hard to find for this bike. It would be quite a hual for me to pick the bike up, and I would wait until after the MSF before really riding it. Here is the link to the craigslist listing.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/545762468.html

So, are there any problems I should know about for this bike? This is the first bike I have found that is within my budget.

Thanks guys.

Ha, reading this entire thread, I'm 99% sure I ended up buying the above bike. I got it in Feb. of 2008 in Burlington, VT.
Glad to report that she runs, pretty much doubled the mileage in a year (now at 12k). Yup, learning to start her was interesting and tiring. I wasn't aware of the "closed throttle" thing.
Things it needed: new stator.

I've had a few bikes, new and old, but this 89 beauty is my favorite so far.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #835
Icehole
HOOLIGANZ

a couple of questions for you XT gear heads.
89 XT at 12,000 miles

Oil change: I've done about 4 oil changes and deal with just that one bolt (near the swingarm). I never touch the bolt on the frame in front of the motor. Should I start draining both? How much damage am I doing by not draining the front?

Gas mileage: Don't really know what I'm doing in the carbs, but I've taken them apart and cleaned them (rookie-style). Set the idle screw so she's around 1,200rpms when cold. She sounds very happy when at 1,200rpm, but my gas mileage is only around 45mpg. I'm reading I should be getting in the 60mpg range. But then again she's almost 20 years old and I don't really know how to adjust the carbs. I'm psyched I was able to clean them and re-assemble them. Anything that I can do to up the mpg?

One more thing, I way over lubed the air filter, last time I lubed it. The thing was dripping oil on my header pipe for days. Could a too wet filter be causing the bad mileage? But that lube job was in March.

Otherwise no issues. Starts up every time.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #836
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 247
Question Exhaust for 85' ???

OK, searching high and low, ran across two threads on another forum, that stated the aftermarket pipes for a XR600 will fit the XT. Of course they didn't say which or what year.

Can anyone confirm this for me and provide a year ? Would appreciate is very much.

On the other hand, I uncorked the end of my stock silencer and she purrs pretty sweet, albeit maybe just a bit louder than I'd like.

Thanks !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #837
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehole
a couple of questions for you XT gear heads.
89 XT at 12,000 miles

Oil change: I've done about 4 oil changes and deal with just that one bolt (near the swingarm). I never touch the bolt on the frame in front of the motor. Should I start draining both? How much damage am I doing by not draining the front?

Gas mileage: Don't really know what I'm doing in the carbs, but I've taken them apart and cleaned them (rookie-style). Set the idle screw so she's around 1,200rpms when cold. She sounds very happy when at 1,200rpm, but my gas mileage is only around 45mpg. I'm reading I should be getting in the 60mpg range. But then again she's almost 20 years old and I don't really know how to adjust the carbs. I'm psyched I was able to clean them and re-assemble them. Anything that I can do to up the mpg?

One more thing, I way over lubed the air filter, last time I lubed it. The thing was dripping oil on my header pipe for days. Could a too wet filter be causing the bad mileage? But that lube job was in March.

Otherwise no issues. Starts up every time.

Thanks
If you're not draining the oil out of the frame you're only draining a fraction of it then and it's not really a full oil chage. You should be replacing about 3 quarts each time you do an oil change. Mine is a '92 model so yours may vary.

I get about 55mpg around town commuting on my '92 XT. If you over oiled your air filter the bike may be running rich due to air flow being constricted by the extra oil.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #838
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947

She's running great! Only issue is a rattle that seems to only happen before the bike is fully warmed up and only at certain RPMs.. Haven't figured it out yet but it does go away once the bike is fully warmed up. Any guesses?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #839
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Has anyone ridden an old XT600Z Tenere?
I'm curious if that 28L tank makes it an unruly top heavy pig?

One of these.
I'm thinking I want one of those tanks.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #840
tombaisley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
suspension upgrade

So I bought an '86 xt600 this past spring . I have worked out a bunch of small problems and the bike has become a dependable daily ride. My biggest complient is the suspension. I installed some better progressive springs up front, but what I really need is more travel and a better shock in the rear.
Any thought or suggestions for a suspension upgrade?

http://picasaweb.google.com/baisleyt...36443330592770

tombaisley screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 08:21 AM Reason: add pic
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote