Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #106
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I've seen it once on my 478. The route will be following the road just fine, then out of the blue it'll say you're off route and need prompt for recalc.
Yes, this happens now and then, but I don't think this is what the OP is tallking about when they say "route went into a straight line".

I avoid recalcs. In navigating any route, there may be a glitch or two where the route deviates from where the GPS thinks you are and you'll get a recalc message. I just hit "quit" and it usually re-syncs in short order.

Another problem is when you select "shortest route" in routing preferences. The GPS will route you off the main route going through urban areas or near intersections to save 100'. So when you stay on the main route, it thinks you're off-route. "Fastest time" solves this problem, but tends to route you off backroads and onto main roads all the time. What I'd like is something in between.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #107
FatThumz
Re-tire... as necessary

Oddometer: 9
First off, I appreciate the replies to my original post.

To tbirdsp:
I’m planning to revert back to version 6.13.7 (and thanks to the info within this thread on how to do it). My preferences were not reset to Offroad – never have been – my K1200RS no likey offroad excursions.

In my 276c I have Unpaved Roads checked to avoid and the Custom Road Prefs set as follows:
Road Avoid......................... Prefer
Major -------------|----------------
Medium -------------------|--------
Minor -----------------------|------
(Not sure how or if routes created in Mapsource would change based on these settings?)

To markjenn:
Humm, I don’t remember this being a problem with prior Mapsource versions but you may be right. And yes, the keyboard arrow keys and the “+” and “-” keys are definitely one’s friend when panning around in Mapsource.

My “route went into a straight line” comment was unclear – sorry. As I rode along I-85, it appeared that my route would leave the actual roadway and pick a point several miles down the road to intersect with. I’ve driven this stretch of I-85 hundreds of times over the last 30 years and the roadway path has definitely not changed.

My GPS acted like my routing was made up of a combination of “follow road” and “point-to-point” navigation found in marine mode. Again, this route was created in Mapsource and downloaded to my 276c. I just checked my computer created Mapsource route again and zoomed in enough to see the northbound & southbound lanes. It faithfully follows the roadway.

When downloaded to my 276 the route follows the roadway most of the time but arbitrarily leaves the roadway and makes a beeline to some intersect point further along the road. That’s when I would get the Off Route message where I would simply cancel it as I knew I was not off route.

The problems arose when I was on unfamiliar roads and it continued to do this. As a general rule I never select Recalculate..? when prompted by my GPS unless I know that I want to deviate from my original routing.

Me thinks the issue is how my 276c is handling this version of Mapsource and City Select. Probably the best thing to do is revert back to 6.13.7 and possibly even upgrade City Select to something newer.

Thanks again, Tom
FatThumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #108
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatThumz
First off, I appreciate the replies to my original post.

To tbirdsp:
I’m planning to revert back to version 6.13.7 (and thanks to the info within this thread on how to do it). My preferences were not reset to Offroad – never have been – my K1200RS no likey offroad excursions.
Yeah, I meant that maybe it happened unknown to you during a Mapsource upgrade or something.
Certainly weird behaviour from a 276C.

I'm still using City Select v7 and Mapsource 6.13.7 My compuuter is old and already slow, don't want to further burden it with the newer version of Mapsource.
I have a 60Cx and it does routing differently than your 276C
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #109
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Off topic but mine has recently been upgraded to 6.15.6. Sometimes behaving oddly when drawing a route. Can't change this to better from the settings.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote