Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Zumo 550 car/suction cup cradle (power)

I'm trying to figure out if my Zumo car cradle (the suction cup one) is either stupid or broken. My kit didn't come with the car power cable (with the cigarette lighter plug), so I'm trying to brew my own to get power to it.

There's a mini-usb on the side,

And some other proprietary plug on the other side,

On Garmin.com, that proprietary plug is shown on the end of the "vehicle power cable". Yeah, I don't have that one, nor do I want to pay $30 for it. So why not the mini-USB? It should provide power, just like it does via the bottom of the Zumo unit itself when plugged in to my computer via USB (this works, I've updated the unit). Nope, doesn't work. I've tried 3 different USB-miniUSB cables, and plugged them into my car, the wall, and my computer - anwhere I could get juice into a USB plug. In no cases does the Zumo register power going to it via the car cradle.

Then the question: is my car cradle busted? If not, wtf is that mini-usb jack for, if not for power?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Just tried mine, car cradle + usb = bugger all!!

I used the cradle with the Garmin fag lighter lead yesterday and it was fine so...

I guess it's just another way to separate us from our cash

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Oh, forgot to add that the usb in the bottom of the unit is a working perfectly.

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

bugger indeed, thanks for trying anyway, Simon.

I got an audio output to work with my cradle, so indeed, another score for Garmin screwing us out of more money. You know, because using a standard input like miniUSB for power would just be too easy.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Mike in Atlanta
Oh Noes

Oddometer: 989
the mini usb plug on the cradle is for the GXM30 sat antenna only, it does not tie in to the usb plug on the bottom of the zumo. It actually supplies power to the GXM30 and is energized when the cradle is plugged into power by the normal $30 cord plugged into the proprietary plug on the other side.

07 R1200GS
Mike in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Atlanta
the mini usb plug on the cradle is for the GXM30 sat antenna only, it does not tie in to the usb plug on the bottom of the zumo. It actually supplies power to the GXM30 and is energized when the cradle is plugged into power by the normal $30 cord plugged into the proprietary plug on the other side.
Thanks Mike - I got the same reply from Garmin for the email support request I submitted.

Lame with a capitol L!!! How hard would it have been to connect the pins inside the cradle???
Old 05-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
sandstorm
Odd

Oddometer: 257
Thumb I realize you know this but I'll repeat it anyways...

It's just like the older Nuvi's, and 3xx series...that miniusb is the accessory out (gxm-30, fm traffic) and it uses any standard nuvi power connection for the in of the cradle.

The new Zumo 660 uses the same connection too. It's actually nice because all the Nuvi (car based GPS) accessories also now work for the Zumo.

The good news is yes, while the regular cords are 30$ a piece you can typically find them on ebay for 15-20$ OR the ones with the traffic adapter built in for 30-40-50$. If you're using it in a cage - sometimes it's nice to have the traffic stuff.

btw...try plugging in the usb plug on the bottom of the Zumo to a power source sometime and tell me what happens . It's not the cradle that's the issue it's the Zumo itself.
sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
sandstorm
Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie
Oh, forgot to add that the usb in the bottom of the unit is a working perfectly.

-Simon
What you mean? are you using a power adapter from a newer Nuvi with the "special pin" , because any standard mini-usb power adapter puts the Zumo into charge mode or PC mode.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm
btw...try plugging in the usb plug on the bottom of the Zumo to a power source sometime and tell me what happens . It's not the cradle that's the issue it's the Zumo itself.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll hit up ebay and at least gain the traffic function in my shelling out of cash.

However, the Zumo, when plugged in via the miniUSB in its own bottom panel (not cradle) definitely DOES charge via the computer. It's a slow trickle charge, but when it enters mass storage mode, it does indeed get juice (verified this on Garmin.com/support and tried it myself, the little battery icon goes away and the screen gets bright = power IN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin Support
Question: How do I charge my GPS unit?
Answer:
There are three ways to charge the internal battery in your GPS unit.1

1. Use the provided vehicle power cable that came with your GPS unit. The unit will charge while powered on and using the device as well as when the GPS unit is powered off and plugged into a running vehicle.

2. Use an AC power adaptor. Some units come with this power cable to plug the GPS unit into a wall outlet allowing the GPS unit to take a charge. For units that do not come with this cable one can be purchased from the accessory link below.

3. For most units, the final way of charging the battery is to plug the GPS into a powered on computer with a USB cable2. This way of charging will be a trickle charge and may take longer than the other two options however will still charge the battery. A USB cable will come with some of our GPS unit, for those that don't come with this cable one can either be ordered from the provided link or if you have a USB cable that fits the unit and plugs into your computer this will work as well.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
sandstorm
Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
However, the Zumo, when plugged in via the miniUSB in its own bottom panel (not cradle) definitely DOES charge via the computer. It's a slow trickle charge, but when it enters mass storage mode, it does indeed get juice (verified this on Garmin.com/support and tried it myself, the little battery icon goes away and the screen gets bright = power IN).
It definitely does charge and obtain power...but it does not run like that (outside of trickle mode or mass storage mode) is what I was saying.

essentially: even if you could bring some miniusb to the party sans cradle...it still wouldn't work sufficiently for navigation.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm
It definitely does charge and obtain power...but it does not run like that (outside of trickle mode or mass storage mode) is what I was saying.

essentially: even if you could bring some miniusb to the party sans cradle...it still wouldn't work sufficiently for navigation.
Now we're clear - ah, the beauty of typing