Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #91
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Dood... This is a sweet report, "introspective" to say the least! Keep it coming.

I'm really enjoying DSR II, btw.

Thanks NEDURO!!!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #92
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Awesome. I nominate this one to the Hall of Fame. Do we have a second?

PS: is that Al Gore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #93
edgy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Our eyes meet and right away I know, this is the one for me. I approach her, and I feel at once apprehensive about her supermodel legs and obvious athleticism, excited about getting to know her better, and warm because she responds so instantly to my touch.

I love this bike. I absolutely love it. This almost doesn’t fit in the sweep of this report, because it’s an emotion that repeated itself over and over, every time I saw 20x, but how can you leave your partner out? I’d peer over the balcony first thing in the morning, stretching to catch a glimpse of her at rest and excited to ride all day once I did. I’d come out of a tienda and spot her across the road and my heart would skip a beat, momentarily forgetting that she is mine, all mine. I find her exotic and smart and competent and sexy and dirty and classy all at once.

When there’s beer being consumed by one or more motorcyclists, the subject at hand is always which bike would be perfect. I always knew I had the best answer in the room.

I really enjoy riding a certain pace off-road, and having the bike respond to my inputs precisely. A KLR or DR 650 or XR-L or GS is capable of going all the places I went, but you can't ride them the same way, because they lack the precision of engine and suspension that make it pleasureable. These companies could make an awesome dual-sport, but they haven’t bothered, either stopping at a cheaped up commuter bike, or going too far and adding gee-gaw gadgets but forgetting that suspension and simplicity are the recipe for success. The bikes will carry you everywhere you could want to go, but your soul might not make the same trip.

This feeling of competence at speed the Superenduro gives isn’t just academic, here’s a picture of that very same bike at the finish line of the 2007 Baja 1000, in which Pyndon, Hilslamer, and I raced the bike to 18th Open Pro over 1300 miles, against mostly 450’s. Yes, that’s tire smoke.

It feels like a racebike, because it IS a racebike. I love that feel, it’s not necessary to the trip but it’s what turns my crank in a motorcycle. It’s the panache of the bike that makes me smile so wide.

But she’s not a one trick pony, far from it. She’s as good at 150kph on the quota as she is at 15kph on some nasty sand road somewhere. She hauls luggage and passengers without a care in the world, never straining to keep up. In fact, the motor gives the impression that the entire world is downhill and downwind from here. You never work it very hard, you never get that “I’m givin’ ‘er all she’s got, cap’n” feeling, she’s always got more in reserve if you have the balls to ask.

Next, I love her because she’s reliable. Nothing else can be ridden, or perhaps flogged is a better word, like this bike can with so little fussiness and maintenance. Here we are executing a passing maneuver on another advrider, who kindly snapped a picture:

A little work at the beginning to simplify her and set her up as God, Fabrizio Meoni, and advtank.com intended, free of charcoal canisters and the like, and she asks for almost nothing but rear tires.

She’s simple, no CANBUS to break, no FI to choke on watered down gas, no final drive to strand me. There’s nothing I can’t wrap my head around given enough time and some basic tools. I can count on her, and I have for many epic adventures and I will for many more.

I love this bike.
Love your "ode" to the SE!!!
Yours sure is sweet,nearly as sweet as mine!
`11 KTM690
edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #94
BRZ
Insider

Oddometer: 20
Excellent! I'm really enjoying this!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #95
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Nicer RR and bike! steve
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #96
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,771
Shit Ned, isn't there something you're bad at?
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #97
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,026
speechless.

great flow and passion, Ned.

'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #98
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
We are euphoric because we are living like men should, with their destiny in their hands and a price to be paid for dropping it.
Hemingway couldn't have said it better. Thanks for spillin' yer guts ned. Keep it comin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
BMW was winning the Dakar sponsored by Marlboro and Playboy?! And it was stylin' to rock the 'stache? :ymca

Man, sh*t used to be cool...

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #99
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
hello mr. ned!!! Now I know what you were scribling in your diary: brilliant prose.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #100
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
WOW! You have the words, I don't. Thanks for bringing us along
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #101
trent
rambler

Oddometer: 352
I was lended this book by a colleague a couple of months back. Great read so far. Small world. Diggin the RR.

Quote:

One evening, a classmate threw a garden party on the terrace of the house they were renting. I started speaking with a guy called Tony about things in general and Mexico in particular, and it turns out he wrote a book that many years ago planted the seed of interest in Mexico and in particular the colonial towns: “On Mexican Time”. .
Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #102
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Life report

Nice report - more like an introspective life report than the usual ride reports here. It is a bit hard to tell if you're dangerously depressed or not - fortunately, you're in love with your bike.
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #103
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,134
please and thank you.

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #104
azduster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
And thank you again, awesome!
azduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #105
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,888

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote