Anyone use a Clake

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RunningBare, Apr 18, 2010.

1. RunningBare

RunningBare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here have a Clake rear brake setup. What do you think of it and how long did it take to get used to it? Any problems?
  2. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    Not for $1100+:yikes
  3. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I have the Super Enduro and Sherco Trials bike at the Clake factory being fitted at the moment.. :wink:
  4. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    TerryAust got one for his Sherco Trials bike and liked it so much he got one for his 950 as well.

But as he seems to be a figment of Nev and My imaginations these days, I doubt he'll be online to comment.

My question would be, do you have a problem that you think this will help with or just want the bling?

Apparently new one retains rear brake pedal so you have both options.
  5. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    I have wondered about this device since I saw it on the ABC inventors show a couple of years ago.

At first it seemed like the answer to a question no one asked, but there seems to be a few specific applications where it is useful. Trials riding springs to mind as well as stunt riding.

Beyond that it would be interesting to hear from anyone thats used it.
  6. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about a rekluse for the WR, but it really needs a Z start clutch for it to work properly so theres more cash. The brake lever replaces the clutch lever and the clutch overide is bolted on top.
    http://www.rekluse.com/lhbrakekit.shtml
    I think they're only $200 US or so for the kit.
  7. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    I have never seen this before. I find that I am way too heavy on my rear brake and think this would help a lot. add to that the ability to use the rear brake when my leg is out I could really see myself wanting one of these
  8. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    One of the main reasons i`ve decided to try one on the SE.. :thumb

I came unstuck and parked the SE upside down last year when I lost concentration and came into a tight, down hill, off camber right hander too hot.. Locked the rear a couple of times trying to slow and decided to take the safer option by running through the corner rather than messing with the trees half way round.. Alpinestars Tech 8`s are great boots but give you bugger all feel on a sensitive pedal when your panicking.. :shog

I`m fairly confident the outcome would have been different if the rear didn`t lock up those couple of times and put me off balance for the turn.. The Clake should give me better feel over the rear brake and hopefully, once used to it, will help if that situation happens again..
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Well Nev, you may be interested in a new innovation that me and the lads from Swedish (meatball) Racing are currently working on, as another farkle for your SE mate...? Especially for those "caught me by surprise" moments :wink:

Just as the "Clake" combines the functions of the clutch and rear brake in one "easy to use" feature... We've come up with a multifunction control device, that we like to call the "F#¤%rottle" :evil

The "Frottle" is a "fly by wire" accesory, comprised of both software and componentry - that connects the ailementary orifice of the pilot with the throttle grip control of the motorcycle... The perfect accessory for all those "f#¤% me dead!" moments out there on the trail.

I can't go into detail here (international patents pending and so forth... you know? :wink: ), but suffice to say that we simultaneously link the throttle body of the carb or FI module, with a spring loaded return stop for the throttle grip, together with a high speed wastegate closure valve in the riders shorts, using a state-of-the-art microwave signal transciever.

In the event that you encounter a sudden unexpected "oh...my...gawd" moment while out on the trail; the sphinctre pucker control module instantaneously retards the amount of throttle application and carburettion the bike recieves, while simultaneously closing the "wastegate" valve, so as to avoid soiling. :lol3 This allows the rider to both maintain control of the riding situation... and their dignity in the changeroom at the pub later. :shog

Early field tests of the product have proven a significant reduction in "what the f"#¤ was that" incidents while riding... AND grossly reduced the drycleaning bill for internally stained goretex riding gear. :rofl

I have no doubt that had Rosscoact been using the "F#¤%rottle" device during his recent "close encounter of the worst kind", that his undergarments would be in nowhere near the soiled dissarray that they are no doubt in now, as a result. :wink:

So Nev, are you interested in me sending you a proto-type to test for us mate? :evil
  10. Vince

Vince Long timer

Oddometer:
    Porky, brother of Geoff,ADB founder uses one.Kinda handy if you have one leg,still fast and pushing I think over 50,top bloke as well
  11. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would be very interested to see the finished item Nev:evil Wondering if it could be utilised for operation of a sidecar brake.
  12. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Having used the rekluse and left hand mounted rear brake on a 625sxc and DR650 (not my bikes. just fitted them) I have to say that once you get used to it (one day about does it) you'll wonder why all dirt bikes are not set up like this. I've never used the clake but for 1100 bucks.... I would be going the extra functionality of the rekluse set up. Bike never stalls, snotty ugly hill climbs become silly easy and if your chasing a mate, fark up the gear coming out of the corner the rekluse covers your butt and makes you look super smooth and quick... Just Gas it!!!! .
  13. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    Troy,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is obvious that between them, the "Clake" and the "Frottle" have the market well and truly covered.
    I shall waste no more of my precious time in further development of my invention, the "Butch":lol3
  14. RunningBare

RunningBare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason I'm interested is that a mate of mine has a knee that don't bend too well and he has some trouble getting it onto the brake pedal. I'll tell him to have a look at it. Yes $1180 sounds a lot but if you think about it it's only a couple of sets of tyres and if you sell the bike you can change it over to your next ride. It looks to be well made and like anything that has small production runs costs $$$. I think it would be good especially on a dirt bike where your right foot can often be off the peg just as you want the rear brake.If you've had experience on a pushbike then I think it would be easy to adapt to it as you would be used to braking with the left hand. Probably a lot more feel with the hand too than a heavy boot. Thanks for your input.
  15. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    I`ll pm you my postal details.. :lol3
  16. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty simple device, i can't see that it'd be hard to make up one yourself using a clutch master cylinder, but thats just my 2 cents worth. I had a problem with the raer brake on the Duc locking too easy so i modified the lever to give a greater :throw" now its too light and i have t fit a heavy spring to get some feel back:lol3
    Or just follow Troys example .................i can't believe i just said that:huh
  17. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Have briefly spoken to the Clake manufacturer and asked if it could be adapted to suit a sidecar third wheel.. Didn`t come to any solid conclusions and will chat a bit more about it tomorrow when I pick the bikes up.. I`ll come for a visit Friday and show you if you like.. :wink:
  18. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    one of the hardest things I find with standup riding is the use of the rear brake.
    Since I bought the 990 I've been toying with the idea of building a 'Mick Doohan' stlye handle bar mounted rear brake thumb acuated device.

Anyone with any experience in this type of setup :ear
  19. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to read THIS ... :deal
  20. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Thanks mate and I have read it but I'm a typical tight arsed bastard and figure I can rig up something for a fraction of that price. I'm not after a clutch solution, just rear brake