Rotopax Storage Box

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wnc96, Sep 1, 2010.

1. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered my cycleracks rack today and am planning to use rotopax with it.

[​IMG]

What i can't decide is whether to go with gas and water combo or gas and storage box.... Has anyone had any experience with the storage one?

[​IMG]

I would also love to see some pics your rotopax installed on your bike!!!!

Thanks Wayne
  2. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to find this pic online .... not looking like much room...

[​IMG]
  3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the shape's a little awkward for carrying anything but small odds and ends I think. Maybe a toolkit and flexible stuff.

I'd probably go with the water+gas combo. In fact, I think that's on the future purchase list for me.
  4. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    If your planing on stacking them I'd stick to roads. I had to gas cans stacked and the mounting hardwear broke within the first mile of a desert washboard road. I was doing sixty+, but I expect everything on my bike to handle considerably more punishment than that.

Cheers!
  5. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    humm .... That sucks I like mixing fire roads with some single track.... Did rotopax send u new mounts?
  6. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    I never asked. If something fails that miserably then I figure it wasn't meant to be on my bike. To be clear though, it was the spindle that holds the two mounts together. They used a low quality peice of all-thread. You could try using some grade 8 all-thread and see if that helps.

Cheers!
  7. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used the rotopax storage box?
  8. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Yes . . . . . I've used the r-pax storage box(top) along with their 2 gallon mounted fuel cell(bottom), on the rear rack (Pro-Moto Billet) rack of my Husqvarna 610. :thumb

The r-pax storage box is loaded up with tools, spare parts and there is plenty of space for these . . . . . Been using some rubberized mesh (cabinet liner stuff from Costco) to keep things steady in there . . . . . I'll probly go to some yoga matt material (as a liner down low)to totally stabilize things . . . . .

I've been happy with their product for my needs.
    If you need pix of this set-up (for the Pro-Moto Billet rack) I'll take them and post for you . . . . . . Let me know.
  9. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pics would be great if not to much trouble, Thanks !!! :clap
  10. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
  11. Watercat

Oddometer:
    Here's how I mounted it . . . . . . As far forward as possible due to known issues - Husky sub-frame under there have been known to break especially if too much weight is loaded to the aft.

I've put some miles on this set-up, and so far no breaky :clap :clap :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhhhhm, yes the orange shag carpet is original equipment from the 70's :wink: ; I know, I know, there's a lot of crap in the background ! ! ! :poser
  12. Watercat

Oddometer:
    btw - the fuel cell has never leaked when in action on the bike . . . . .

Just be sure to tighten them down all the way.

I had the screw tops loosened up sitting in the garage - :doh

so it dribbled a little go-juice posing for portrait. :lol3
  13. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thanks for the pics and info, how much stuff do you actually get in the storage box?
    :lurk
  14. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea on when it might be out?
  15. Watercat

Oddometer:
    Well, I put in there all the tools that I might need when "out there" . . . . . a small container of quality synthetic oil for topping off, chain lube (SPAM on: I F'n totally endorse :thumb 'DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant' from Lowes; SPAM off) - No affiliation, unfortunately, some spare parts (bolts, various zip-ties, etc.), tyrrrr Ierrrns, and stuff like that - there's still a little space in there for more stuff.

Also, check out the Rotopax website for pics that may have been posted of their product mounted on a rack such as yours.
  16. wnc96

wnc96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your info and input, it helps, I'm not so worried about how to get it mounted (i'm to stubborn to given up on figuring out how to get it done) as i'm trying to figure out if i want to spend the money on it, bang for my buck, .... LOL i guess you could just say i'm a cheepskate about some things :evil

I didn't mind spending the money for the rack cuz i think it will help save my subframe in the long run, and I do several rides each year were I need to carry lots of stuff, I had an extra ammo can around the house and my rack got here faster than i expected so I put the two together, but am still trying to figure out if I want to spend the money on the storage box....

Here are some pics of the ammo can i put on today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can still throw some soft bags on, I'm looking to but the rotopax on top rack, or I should be able to mount them on the side, so many options, now i just need to figure out what i want to do..... :baldy
  17. kevin2735

kevin2735 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a one gallon Rotopax on the back of my KTM 690. I am looking to find the right tool bag to strap to is or a Pelican case of some sort. I am hoping that some of you have tried doing something similar with the one gallon Rotopax and can point me in a good direction. Any help is appreciated, thanks!