Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hadye

hadye The Pharaoh

Oddometer:
    Did anyone try to connect the J&M handlebar mounted CB JMCB-2003 to the SR10?
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Although there are certainly a few of us in here with the both the SMH10 + SR10, there is an actual thread for the SR10 where you might get better feedback? - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703705
  3. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    I have actually tried a couple of them and they work ok. The only problem I've had is maintaining the pairing. I would have to manually go through pairing anytime I powered the SENA. Not difficult, just got to be a PITA.

I'm hoping the SM10 connection is more consistent and I need something to put on my christmas list :deal
  4. GioDeez

GioDeez n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been covered (i feel it's likely it has) but I haven't been able to find it in this thread...

Has anyone had any luck trying to hack a way to share an audio input? Would love to be able to listen to the same music between two bikes.
  5. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Well, good news is you don't have to hack anything as Sena has developed the SM10 - http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sm10.php?tab_menu=overview

It's main purpose is to share a music audio input between 2 headsets. However, I think its more meant for a rider/passenger setup and not 2 bikes. I'm not sure what class BT the SM10 is, but I'm strongly doubting its Class 1 like the headsets so getting it to cover the distance is going to be tough. Its probably class II which is about 10ft of distance. So unless you and your partner frequently ride that close together, the 2nd person is going to lose out.

[​IMG]
  6. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    The SM10 is good for two headsets in close proximity to each other ie. rider and passenger. Bike to bike, unless you ride like these guys, you're outta luck.

[​IMG]
  7. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting...two points I wonder about...
    1. The jog dial has been all the rage of this unit...now it's gone. I've never used one, so can't comment
    2. Where does that battery stow?
  8. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was definitely one of the main points that attracted me, but Sena might be doing this right since one design usually doesn't satisfy everyone. Hopefully they stay with the jog dial on future designs, but this may just be a spur off to satisfy those where smaller and sleeker design is more important.

I saw a pic somewhere where the battery was "velcored" or attached somehow to the back of the helmet. Might be an option? Its out of the way and not very noticeable.
  9. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Pair of SMH10's and One SR10 with a Montana GPS plugged into it.

Last weekend everything worked perfect. We road all day with intercom turned on (and connected), when GPS needed to say something, SR10 took priority and I can hear the montana perfectly (just like it always works) when we got back I charged everything without removing the SMH10's from the helmet.

This weekend same setup, only now with intercom turned on (and connected) when SR10 takes priroty the sound from the Montana is so distorted I can barely understand what the voice says.
    Now get this; If I tap the jog dial to turn the intercom off, the GPS voice sounds perfect.
    What changed? During the day I rebooted everything several times and nothing fixed this problem.
    The same distoration no matter if I was running a Route made in Basecamp, or if it was a route generated on the Montana. I even tried to switch inputs to the SR10.
  10. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Sigh, you know. After seeing what others went and go through trying to update this POS I don't know why I decided to do this. Well, I do, it was to fix some bluetooth bugs. Anyways, I try to update and after going through hell to get Windows 7 64bit ver to recognize the darn thing, now it is stopping at 12% and going no further. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it? Use Windows XP?
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Windows XP works fine and reliably. I keep windows XP on my little netbook and that's what I update them with.
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    That's what I have done and it has always worked flawlessly ... I'm just not up for a fight...............
  13. TowPro

Oddometer:
    me too. Windows 7 64 bit. It recognizes it, starts to climb up the scale, then stops.
    Tech support said "it must be a Dell thing".
    So I continue to use my Eee machine which is XP.
  14. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Works fine on mine (Win7 64).
  15. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went and used my garage WinXP machine and it worked first time. Figures.
  16. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Are the SR10 and the Montana powered from the bike, or from internal batteries? If both powered from the bike, try running on internal batteries, or at least one of the two on internal battery.

Did you try doing a 'fault reset'? Power on the SMH10, and gently press a paper clip into the small hole on the back of the main BT module to reset.

If that doesn't help, I'd try doing a factory reset on the SMH10's and the SR10, and the re-pair the devices and see if that helps. The world of Bluetooth - ain't it fun? No wires does not mean 'no problems', just no wires... :huh
  17. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Adam said, plus try cleaning the SMH10 contacts. I have on occasion had all kinds of audio problems, including exactly this kind of distortion, due to fairly tiny amounts of crud on the contacts. I'm assuming Adam's advice about running on battery is to eliminate ground loops and it occurs to me that a dirty pin can create one.

-dan
  18. wingwing

wingwing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A $10 ground loop eliminator from eBay fixed all the weird problems on my goldwing.

Dennis
    EMFB
  19. TowPro

Oddometer:
    The SR10 is battery powered, so it's not a ground loop.

I will try to clean the contacts as well. The only thing that was different is a new rear tire, and I washed the bike between rides (washed it so the rear tire was not so dirty when I changed it). The SMH10's, or the SR10 was not near the bike when I washed it, and the Montana rugged mount had the rubber cover on the contacts when washing. But the wash job was Tuesday night, the tire was changed Wed night, and the audio problem was Saturday.

Keep in mind, the strange part of the problem is if I turn of the intercom, this problem goes away and the GPS voice is normal again. :huh
  20. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @TowPro:

My SR10 and SMH10 are also internal battery-powered, but my Valentine 1 and zumo 600 are bike powered, so they can introduce the noise into the whole system, especially because they plug directly into the SR10 in my setup.

One reason that these problems show up with the intercom in play is that intercom uses up some of Bluetooth's bandwidth and what is left my not be enough to carry clean audio to your helmet. Whenever I have the distortion problem, tapping the dial and killing intercom fixes it, just as in your case. And I've noticed that a two-rider intercom call is less likely to cause the problem than three, adding some more support for the bandwidth theory.

Depending on the Montana cradle, you might clean its contacts too, especially considering the wash aspect. Deoxit works wonders.

-dan