Sandflea FFs Hooliganize the South or The Splendiferous Emphysema Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This trip began as a thread in the Sandbox. It was birthed by one guy's (Buzztail) brilliant idea to bring together a bunch of Florida Feckin' Fecks' for a week long trip exploring the Southern Dual Sport loop and blossomed into a group of Southern hooligans terrorizing back roads and small towns from the FL panhandle through AL and GA and back thanks to another Flatistanian's (DR Z) efforts to "organize" our unruly group . "Why the hell would you do this when the temps are in the upper 90's and there was a tropical depression looming on the horizon?" you may ask. Well.....Why not?! :deal

Before I "get to it" I will give you a bit of info about myself. I have been riding dirt-bikes since I was 9 years old (I"m now 37) and have had my KLX300r for the last 9 years. Is this "9" thing some type of pattern pattern? No, just a strange coincidence. In that time I have never done a multi-day trip on my KLX. While I have done plenty of multi-day/multi-state rides on street bikes ,this type of dual sport ride would be a first for me ( and several others in our group) and for my trusty steed.

2 weeks before the trip I realized that my bike was...ummmm... not equipped for a week long ride......I needed to prep!!

So I bought these pieces of metal...
    [​IMG]

...and came up with this....
    [​IMG]

...and these....
    [​IMG]

...So that I could hang a set of throw-overs. Here's the setup on a shakedown run in the Everglades.
    [​IMG]

I also added a bit more light.
    [​IMG]

I also put on some fresh tires (Kenda K270s) and a new F&R sprocket combo that would give me a bit more top end (though not enough as I would soon find out! :lol3 )
  2. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Great job on the racks :freaky
    I can't add anything until you get past Sugar Valley :deal

3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks man. If you squint really hard the welds actually look nice. :rofl
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a long drive we arrive at Ed and Bernices Fish Camp. Little did we know what critters lurked in the grass.

They were nice enough to allow us to leave the vehicles for a week. And the campground is on the route.
    [​IMG]

Dirt Ninja on the prowl. The campground had the worse case of ants I've seen in a long time. If you stood in one place for too long you were guarnteed a bite or 6:huh.
    [​IMG]

Time to ride with the arrival of this FF. KTM Connoisseur Buzztail
    [​IMG]

First river crossing of the day
    [​IMG]

Connies Kitchen, Blountstown, FL:clap Meetup with some FFs coming from the west. Chow was:super
    [​IMG]

After gasin up we were on the way north. At this point I think there was 8 in the group and 1 shadow rider on the pavement.
    [​IMG]

It was a bit dusty in spots
    [​IMG]

Lunch time somewhere in Alabama
    [​IMG]

Fried pork chops:clap Who needs trail food. These things have a 10yr shelf life:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barney gettin it done on the tracks. The longer legs on the Dirt Ninja surprised me and I drop it between the rails (no pics didn't happen)
    [​IMG]

Sand had turned to clay as we headed north, dust was an issue
    [​IMG]

We arrive at our first camp spot and find they had built a Days Inn in its place.
    [​IMG]

End of day one - it's been a blast
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    So like Sanjoh said ,he and I had a long drive to meet the others up in the pan handle of FL.

Bikes all loaded and we were on our way.

[​IMG]

On the way up we stopped to get a bite and some gas when we noticed that for a few dollars we could both get polished!! What a deal!! Then we found out that the person that "polishes" you also drives a big rig and their skills were a bit ....suspect. :huh
    [​IMG]

sanjoh and I get all set up just in time to catch a glimpse of kelly duke 2000 rolling in...

[​IMG]

All setup and waiting for the "others" that would be spending the night within the solemn confines of the Fish Camp.

[​IMG]

As it turns out there was a bit of poor planning on our parts. It seems that we scheduled our overnight stay at the fish camp on the same evening as the Great Southern Fire Ant Gathering. It's kind of like burning man but it's your ass that gets set on fire when the ants bite the hell out of you. Apparently Kelly duke 2000 stores bologna or caramel candies in his boots because within 20 minutes of his arrival he and I were dumping thousands of ants out of his riding boots!! :eek1

We were joined later that night by DR Z and Philip Kuntz. The alcoholic beverages flowed and great merriment ensued (okay, we acted like idiots until we passed out but hey, it's our ride report so we can make up whatever we want!!). After a good nights rest we were greeted to 80 degree temps and 100% humidity but the sunrise was gorgeous!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wait for Buzztail to show up and then we are off to meet a few more FFs at a diner for some eats before we finally RIDE!!! Take a good look at his tires ,chain and sprocket...(SPOILER ALERT!!) They will be a shadow of their former selves in a few days. Oh and YES,yes he did do a 1200+ mile multi day ride on an RFS bike!! Freakin' super heroes on this trip I tell yuh!

[​IMG]
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Breakfast was great! One of the things that I learned about myself on this trip is that I eat too much...WAY too much! But life is short so what the hell! :lol3

[​IMG]

Ooooohhh... Look at all the bikes!!
    [​IMG]

And WE ARE RIDIN"!!

Some beautiful North FL scenery.
    [​IMG]

Another thing that I learned is that I miss "the way it was". See that lady on the 4 wheeler? Well, when we braced for her to kick us out of her front yard we were instead greeted with a "Do you need any water or food?" . I truly hate living in the city and the older I get the more I have come to realize why. Mam, I didn't catch your name but if you ever come across this random internet post I want you to know that people such as yourself are a big part of why I ride...I need a reminder from time to time. :freaky

This type of thing became commonplace while on this trip. The kindness of strangers was almost overwhelming at times.
    [​IMG]
  7. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Ok, I am hooked...:deal :ear
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    More great scenery courtesy of mother nature and the beautiful land known as The South. That's Ineptizoid on the KLR (or Adeptizoid?) :lol3

[​IMG]

Dot's for lunch somewhere on the Alabama/ Georgia border.
    [​IMG]

In case you were wondering what I look like, here's a Myspace style portrait....Are you sorry that you wondered?:lol3
    [​IMG]

The infamous railroad crossing where sanjoh *information deleted* .
    [​IMG]

Taking a rest and meeting up with Vico1. He's a great guy. Wish he could have joined us for the entire ride.

[​IMG]

Another short break...There is a pattern developing here.:deal
    See that KLR with the big yellow bags? That's Barney's. For the next six days he would proceed to humble the hell out me with the way he rode that big ole bike.

[​IMG]

Sunset in the hills. From here it would be a mad dash on the slab to get to our camping site...errr...ummmm... hotel and an end to day one. :D

[​IMG]
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Hey Oscar, good that you could join us here. Next year you can join us for the second annual SDSL ride on yer' new bike. :evil
  10. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to put this report together fella's.

You mention Barney's riding abilities on his KLR.

First time I rode with Barney, he was on his daughters Honda TL125 trials bike.
    Showed SEVERAL riders what the back end of that little dirt dobber looked like disappearing around the corner.:evil
  11. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great start!!:clap

Notice a lot of stuff on the RFS bike... like the lack of a headlight:huh

Top shelf FF's kept the trail lit up when we didn't make it to where we were headed before dark:bow
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thread title updated as per your request.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow very well written. :clap
  15. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Will do:D So where's the rest???...:ddog....:lol3
  16. sjeff35