Giant Arrows - US Mail Plane Route Markers

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Loose Nut, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut wannabe Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of Giant Concrete Arrow Markers for the old mail plane routes.......maybe if everyone can download and add their giant arrow waypoints and then upload a newer version we can get a good complete file of the locations.

Attached Files:

djadvrider likes this.
  2. Loose Nut

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

3. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    Have read a couple of posts about these arrows, and tried to get a bit more information about some closer to home.
    Ran across this site which has downloadable coordinate information.

This Link http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-western-u-s/
    is to locations in the western US, but the main page also has information on sites in the eastern regions.

If you zoom in with Google Satellite view, an amazing number of the arrows are visible.

I found one 10 minutes from my house. Have ridden by the darned thing for years and never slowed down to see what it was. That'll teach me.
    As if I didn't have enough projects, it looks like I'll be hunting down arrows this spring when it starts drying out.
  5. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a great link right there, it's been in my bookmark for quite awhile.

Three very accessible arrows in the St. George, UT area. I followed StG(L) & Simbaboy to the Black Ridge arrow last June. Near Leeds, UT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Loose Nut likes this.
  6. Loose Nut

Oddometer:
  7. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    Finally went out to get some photos of the locations near Boise. These are all between Boise and Mountain Home.

A GPX file of the locations is attached.

The beacon names were pulled from Airway Map No. 135 published in 1936.

Beacon 29. This is on private ground on a hill, but seems to be used by a number of people as a hiking area. Gates are locked.

[​IMG]

Looking toward the airport at Boise.

[​IMG]

There is no Beacon 28 shown on the airway map, so we skip to Beacon 27. Also on private ground, but not signed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beacon 26. This one is on BLM ground, but I got off on the wrong road and decided I needed the walk. Note the change in direction.

[​IMG]

The better half was much happier going out. After hiking for 1.2 miles in riding gear on a warm day, she was less than enthused about the return trip

[​IMG]

This is Beacon 25. This is at the entrance to the Mountain Home Municipal Airport. The tower and it's pad (covered by several inches if landscaping rock) appears to be original, but the tip and tail were probably demolished constructing the entrance to the airport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original contract airmail route (CAM5) to Boise started April 26, 1926, so these would have been constructed in 1925-26.

I got lucky that these were still here.

Attached Files:

8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite