Good Chile / Argentina Guidebooks & Resources?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by clintnz, Nov 21, 2013.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi All, We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to Chile, 5-6 weeks with a loose idea of starting in Santiago, exploring into the Andes, maybe crossing into Argentina a little, plus down into southern Chile. Hoping to mix in some hiking & camping with the motorcycling too.

I just realised I have a book voucher about to expire so thought I might use it on some reference material for the trip - any ideas on what's good?

Cheers
    Clint
  2. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I can't recommend any books but be sure to pick up a Copec Map, they sell them at all the Copec stations. The compact size of the map is nice for a tank bag and the maps are reliable.

edit:

this looks like it could be useful
  3. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    I hate to contradict, but I have been unable to find mapas de Chile at ANY Copec station. I have given up, however, being told at least 20 times no such maps exist for purchase.

Plus, they look at you like you are crazy for asking.

I am using a combination of Chilean Turiscom (www.Turistel.cl) online maps printed, and Garmin CN2013.40 South America in the GPS.

My best recommendation would be to check in with Thomas at Ride-Chile.Com and have him sketch out a route. I'm following his highlighted map and it is wonderful.

Leave some room to play and explore. The best routes are the tiny two lanes that might turn in to ripio or just stop, even though the maps say they go through.
  4. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any good map from Chile will do.

Copec maps are good but scarce in Chile. It is like everything they publish thousands then they do it in small quantitates. Now, will be summer in Chile, so I ma sure will be re stocking.

Copec also have a virtual map in the web . Google Copec.
  5. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    For your Garmin, download the free "Proyecto Mapear" Chile and argentina map. It's much better than the one you can purchase from Garmin in Chile, and it's kept updated by the users.
  6. bouldergeek

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks for that info. I did download the package, but I don't have my own computer with me. I tried to be bold and cutting edge by doing this trip with only a 10" Android tablet and an iPod touch.

I borrowed a computer to update my Garmin maps, and the Proyecto Mapear installer application was seen as a virus by the security suite. I couldn't get it to compile maps, and couldn't make complete sense of the Spanish directions. The website is terribly organized, so I may not have gotten everything. it became way too much of a hassle, especially since I didn't know if they were good.

Is the maps are based on Open OSM, they won't work with my GPS. I have a 285W and a 2455LMT. Neither of these are compatible with open OSM project maps.

It's funny how many times my GPS has gotten me into bad or at least humorous situations when traveling outside of the US. Plainly wrong information, leading me through people's farms, backyards, work sites, etc. It's made for some interesting encounters with locals. I haven't been shot, yet.

I have one nice map of Argentina that I bought at a petrol station near Cordoba. So, paper backups are good for Argentina and Chile with my printed turiscom sectionals. I plan on using Ruta 40 to go from Bariloche to Mendoza next week.
  7. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Are the ITMB maps of Chile and Argentina good enough?
  8. Acampao

Acampao WInd Jammer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing, I rode from Santiago to Mendoza last week. Thanks to my Garmin maps it took me about 350 km to get there and 460 to get back...
  9. bouldergeek

Oddometer:
    Either your GPS found you an awesomely efficient route the first time, and skipped it for the return, or the GPS has a serious rounding error dpending on direction of travel. :rofl

How is Ruta 40 from Bariloche to Mendoza? Will one week be ample time, or will I be grinding to make progress each day?

Is Bariloche a hotbed of crime against tourists? I just heard of a heinous theft of an R1200GSA, there.
  10. playball

playball n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Clint, am from santiago, if you need any help here just contact me here is my number 9-319-5656.
    villafrei@gmail.com

Roberto.
  11. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our bikes are arriving in Valparaiso January 26 and starting the ride first week of February until March (South Chile and Argentina) when we come back to Santiago.

Any rider going that way during February welcome to enjoy my ride. We have a nice planned route.