Touring on the SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Ohio_Danimal, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. I haven't been to West Virginia in years.

It's almost Heaven, ya know........
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lost1888 and I live in NE Ohio, and yet WV ranks right up there with the finest riding we have done in any state.

The person that coined that saying certainly rode a motorcycle

[​IMG]
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    got out Saturday, wandering around south central Ohio. Can't believe how nice it was for late November. My SV now has 103,000 miles!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

me
    [​IMG]
  4. Jimmym1296

Jimmym1296 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the SV650 I've wanted for years. 2000 w 20,000 miles. PO took pretty good care of it but put different dogbones on to lower it a bit. Not sure if he did something to the seat as well but after a couple of long rides it's going to be worked on over the winter. Hearing the high mileage numbers makes me look forward to riding it for many more years.

Attached Files:

5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Nice one! A friend of mine had a 02 and that was the bike that sold me on the motor. He has since sold his (in fact he's the guy in the pics with the showroom looking 99 VFR)

Unless you are short, I'd restore that bike to stock configuration. Better springs/oil up front and there are a number of used sportbike shocks that will make the rear end feel much better for little money.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Can you post a few more pictures of your 2nd Gen SV with the aluminum cases please?
  7. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! I've been wanting a round frame for years as well.
  8. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's a LOOKER.......

:clap
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Taking advantage of the nice weather we're seeing for late November, I took off yesterday for a 390 mile stomp on some of Ohio's best roads.
    Rode the entire lenth of Routes 555 and 666. Also did a wonderful section of Rt. 60 with beautiful fast sweepers.

Main camera was out of commission (forgot to bring a spare battery) so these pics are from my iPhone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope my fellow SV650 riders (and all Inmates) had a great Thanksgiving
  10. mg66

mg66 Touring since 1976

Oddometer:
    Lotsa names in this thread I am familiar with.

The SV650 makes an excellent sport/tourer with a few mods.

Riding a part of Route 66
    [​IMG]

Just out on the road
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite photos. Doing the sports/tourer thang!
    [​IMG]
  11. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice!!!
  12. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    I have a heavily modified but salvaged 2002 650S that was streetfightered (tiny headlight, lower vortex clip-ons, a sigma bicycle speedometer)...I didn't mind at first because i bought it to be mainly a track bike, but liked riding it so much i rode it for fun and, yes, even on a tour to Sequoia. btw, the wolfman beta bag was very secure on the back of the bike....worked well (bike has a full camping set-up in that picture).

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

the forward lean to the low clip-on was severe, the speedo was tiny and not lit up, and the stock seat was too soft and some wind protection would have been nice. but the thing rides like a champ, and corners like nothing else.

So I added a Trailtech Vapor (with modern convienences like a tachometer, speedo that is lit up oooh aaaah :lol3), those $$$$ but waaay adustable convertibars (and clutch, choke, and throttle cables off the standard model), mounted a Honda 599 headlight (the bigger more aerodynamic late model one that looks tits IMHO)...and it is a real nice streetbike...I just wish I was 6" shorter so I don't have to stray to another bike.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

the headlight itself provides a surprising amount of wind protection and smooths airflow....and it is nice and bright. BTW, the convertibars are in their lowest position here. Maybe add a little windscreen (F-15 maybe?) and i will be ready for another tour.

I am going through some life changes now and the other bikes will be leaving the stable but the charming and soulful "Blue Baron" will be staying.....
  13. SpaceManSpiff

Oddometer:
    Jimmym1296,

your seat is definately modified...much lower than my stock seat.
  14. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if this bike would be comfortable for semi long trips if my only expetrience with a bike is a 250 dual sport? Looking to upgrade to a naked SV650 for next year, after a qucik ride on my friends FZ6, I like the idea of an upright sportbike, but wanted more torquey of a powerband. Have a 4000 mile trip planned, with 500-600 mile days. This is a pretty good bike for this, yes? Fuel range is about 150 miles to reserve? If it matters I have done 400 mile days on my dual sport, all street without issue.
  15. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your ass can take a pounding...you'll be fine. You'll appreciate the minimal vibe compared to the 250. Little accessory padding wouldn't hurt.
  16. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Made a Little 368 mile trip yesterday.

Two lane down and I-40 back.

[​IMG]
  17. mg66

mg66 Touring since 1976

Oddometer:
    I find it pretty good myself and put in 8-10 hour riding days. The Corbin seat helps a heap. Even just a sheep skin cover goes a long way. I actually use both. Try http://forum.svrider.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56 for ideas on bike setup and answers to most SV questions.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The SV swallows 400 miles days. It'll feel like a couch compared to the 250, even with the stock seat.
    I do agree with the others. I also have a Corbin seat on my SV and it has conformed to the shape of my nether regions well.
    [​IMG]
    As far as mileage and range, my SV, with over 100,000 miles, is getting better mileage than ever. Some tanks I am at over 160 miles before the reserve light comes on. I usualy have a full gallon left when I fill, even after finding a station. I estimated about 55 mpg my last tank.
    It;s nice to see other SVrider members here finally.
  19. SpaceManSpiff

Oddometer:
    there are some nicely set-up pointy SVs here, what about curvys?

EastBoundandDown, in case you are considering setting up a curvy for touring...they have slightly smaller gas tanks and get worse gas mileage (about 45 mpg)...but look better :wink:
  20. mg66

mg66 Touring since 1976

Oddometer:
    The Corbin works for me and makes a huge difference. The SV takes a lot of miles to run in and I too am getting in the low 50s for mpg and that is usually 2-up and around 60 lbs of gear. my 08 only has 25k on it but I am working on it :)