So......Am I an A-Hole?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by JOKER650, Oct 5, 2012.

1. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you use twisted logic to ignore the lessons of your own upbringing and to justify being an asshole. I had always assumed that the Golden Rule was a simple lesson, apparently not so.
  2. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Twisted logic? The Golden Rule?

Act like an asshole, get treated like one.

Pretty simple. Like everything else, it's a 2-edged sword.

Although I suspect any further discussion of this involves stuff like religion--in mine, forgiveness is left up to the individual, not mandated dogmatically.

You want to yield to everyone and everything, I do not.

And on that note, I'm done.

No CSM for me.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    After careful consideration:

You are an asshole for roosting the guy...

He is an asshole for not taking the 10 seconds it would have required to let you pass...
  4. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess, due to your question marks, you do not understand my post. In your first post you say you were raised to follow the tenant of the Golden Rule.
    As opposed to following this rule, you have reasoned it into "Act like an asshole, get treated like one." You seem to do so by making the presumption that everyone always follows the Golden Rule, thus if I simply treat people as I presume that they are treating me, then I am somehow acting benevolently toward them. This is close to the opposite of the premise of the Golden Rule and that is why I said you are twisting the logic.

You'll get no religious dogma from me, but I am curious though, just which religion is it that espouses, "Act like an asshole, get treated like one."

Finally, what is CSM?
  5. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

We're still assuming the Jeeper saw him in the first place. We don't have that side of the story.
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    On a dirt road in the forest, I came upon a car going my direction just as she stops to talk to another person, drivers conversing through their driver's side windows. I stop my 950 and wait since there was no room to sneak by on either side with my saddle bags attached. Driver facing towards me obviously sees me. The woman going my direction looks in her mirror at me, too. I wait some more. The 950 ain't a quiet bike, even at idle, so they must surely hear me. I know they're not deaf, because I don't see sign language going on. Now it felt like a long time, but maybe only 2 minutes. Eventually, we all start to go on our merry way. Except she doesn't pull over to let me pass. She hogs the entire road, taking her own sweet time. This is one of those tight roads through the trees, so passing areas are limited (again, with Zega cases on the 950). It took a mile or two to finally get by her (with no assistance on her part). I didn't try to roost her, but I certainly did not make the cleanest of passes, either. Lucky for her, it was pretty much a dirt road and didn't have many rocks when I finally made the pass.

So, am I an asshole? Maybe. I was hot and ticked off by the time I got by. Stooping to someone's level just because they act a certain way doesn't sound like a teachable moment to my kids, however. Pointing out someone's bad behavior doesn't justify your own.
  7. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    The asshole move would have been to turn around and point the pipes in their general direction whilst blipping the throttle. :augie
  8. Squarehead

Squarehead Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer:
    Big Sky Country, you should see my backyard
    If you have to ask...........:rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Don't stop watching.

Your right, not just BC, in North America drivers tend to follow the rules of the road at most times all over. It just that from the protection of there cage, and darker side of some personalities, at times pull some stunts that would get you killed in other parts of the world. In places there seems to be no rules of the road, and the bigger the vehicle the more rights you have - and it's absolute chaos on the roads, but you don't react to a perceived miss-treatment. Guess there no misconceptions that your cage can protect you from all.

We can assume the OP followed the Jeep with; his left turn signal on the entire time, flashed his highbeams and sounded his horn, all to indicate his intentions. :evil
  10. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike to faster than everyone and pass on double yellows. So my answer is pass when you are ready.
  11. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    I was on my bike once, and from behind very fast came a guy on a KTM. Since I was on a Buell with 17" street tires, the gravel had me scared shitless, and I really was concentrating on not falling over or putting my front tire in a rut or hitting a rock. I was very new to riding. I knew the road widened right around the next turn, and hoped the guy would understand my predicament, but frankly I was so nervous I figured he'd go around me if he absolutely had to get to the next donut shop that fast. Finally, just before where I was going pull over, the guy passes me within inches, then guns it and sprays gravel all over my face. sonofabitch.
  12. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I bet the guy in the jeep will think twice about being an A-hole again. :lol3
  13. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Either that or he'll get nasty toward bikes. Maybe he'll start to block every time a bike looks to go around now. Did the OP signal, beep the horn, flash the highbeam, or just assume the guy saw him? Can't excuse either behavior really, deliberate blocking or retalliation. Just pass and get on with life. Just because you feel slighted by someone isn't an open invitation to mess up their stuff.
  14. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Read carefully

15. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OP assumes he was seen. Without the Jeep driver's side of it this is a bit one sided. Maybe he didn't notice the bike, which isn't exactly unheard of.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    give it up.. its obvious
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    You read it on the internet............................it must be true.:rofl
  18. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha....pretty sure I threw it in there about hitting the horn to let him know I was there....he looked at "US" behind him a few times.
    Yeah...it might have been a slight ass'ish move on my part . But I give what I get.
    This area is completly covered with 4x4 roads, dirt bike trails , old and new FSR's. Many hunters bikers, quaders and fishermen every where you go.Even horse riders(then we stop, turn the bikes off and wait for them to pass) It's a GREAT place to ride or head out with the family for a drive to some out of the way lake.
    95% of the people you meet out there are awsome people.
    Weather I'm on my bike, in my truck or in the bush on a job with my service truck, when someone pulls up behind me I make room for them to pass. That may be a complete pull over and stop or a slowing and moving over to the right as far as safely possable.
    95% of the people you catch up to around here do the exact same thing. There is the odd dumb-ass that will buck the system every time. I have had people pull out when they clearly see you coming because they do not want to be behind you.....YET THEY COMPLETLY DOG IT IN FRONT OF YOU.:deal

I know some of you say that "I don't know for sure that he saw me/us behind him" Give your fucking head a shake.....HE LOOKED AT US A FEW TIMES...HE KNEW WE WERE THERE:nod

Did I pass in a fit of rage?...NO
    Did I have ill feelings towards the guy for the rest of the ride?....NO

The guy was blocking because he did not want to get passed...and was an ASSHOLE.

I ASSHOLED him back.......:lol3

Would I do it again?
    YES.
    I would do the exact same thing. Pull up behind, let then know I was there and give them plenty of time/distance to safely pull over , slow a little or move over....safely.
    If they don't....well ......:ricky

I LOVE riding...I don't get pissed off out there when I'm on the bike.:happay
    Try riding a 100HP dirt bike and be pissed off :wink:

I really need to start bringing my DRIFT cam out:1drink
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I likely would have used a bit of front brake to get to the point across.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that the Jeep driver was a French Model.