The TAT Preparation Thread-the logistical side of it

Discussion in 'Americas' started by leftystrat62, Dec 13, 2012.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    If you have the safari tank on the WR then leave the extra fuel tank at home, you won't need it. Plus get rid of the bungee net, those will drop your items, bungee, nylon straps are better.

Carry two chain links and not one, plus a chain press. you can carry a voltage inverter to charge while ridding. Loose one or two pairs of gloves, better yet loose three pairs and add heated grips.

Try not to be redundant on clothing, If you go later int he year, I'd suggest loosing the heated gear, use the Klim with a fleece (you can wear the fleece around the camp site and be warm). For clothing, try and wash socks and underwear daily or every other day, that will keep packing less. Check out my clothing list below in link.

Klim padded shorts, leave them too and add hip armor to the ridding pants, like the aero stich foam type, sew vecro attachment points in your ridding pants. I think Ken did this to his. Reason being, those shorts are hot. I'm a big fan of good hip protection.

Astericks braces are bulky but worth it IMHO, not too bad unless you have to crouch or walk a long way in difficult terrain. I wore mine for 4 weeks, sometimes akward, but I was surprised the amount of support they offer, after crashing and being hit in the thigh by a rock.

With the camel back you won't need the extra water from the bladder till Utah, just in Black dragon/ eagle canyon, then Nevada.

Killer loop bag and a duffel, look at getting rid of the killer loop and use just a duffel.

Here's two WR's and one DRZ fully camp loaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DRZ
    [​IMG]
  3. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Yea, dump all that stuff. Way too much. But here is where I differ my opinion with OneLess, and that doesnt mean I'm right.

Take your riding shirt, whatever it may be, say a Under Armour, and jacket, then just take a Gerbing liner. It has a wide range of warmth comfort. Leave all the layering home.
  4. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    my bike won't run the heated liner:puke1....plus I had a head light cut off switch when running the heated grips....

You might want a way to monitor the charging system. This one is great
  5. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Unless you are planning to spend a lot of time and explore the areas really well as you travel, you have way too many clothes.

Your full time job on this trip will be to ride 6-8 hours per day. You are going to be filthy within 1/2 hour of leaving every morning. You are going to be tired and filthy when you get done in the afternoon. Once you get out of Mississippi no one will look twice at you when you walk into their restaurant covered in dust wearing unbuckled MX boots and jogging shorts.

I carry one pair of socks, one jersy and one pair underwear per day and I change those every day because it makes me feel clean. The guys that were on the last trip didn't change anything in the first 5 days.

You need one pair of pants for the trip don't bother trying to wash them on the road. I like the kind that you can zip off the leg bottoms. I carry a pair of lightweight shorts for hanging around or going to campsite wash rooms.

You aren't going to be playing basketball, you won't need the tennis shoes. I bring a pair of flip flops to wear around camp or to a restaurant if we go somewhere.

The weather changes a lot during the day, it will start and end cold and be hot in the middle. You aren't going to want to stop and dig through bags to pull out the perfect clothes.

You need a riding jacket that you can take off if it is too hot, put on when it isn't and put a liner in for the mornings or when crossing the passes.

Two pair of gloves is plenty.

The typical breakfast is granola and jerky. You will be stopping at gas stations every 3 hours. You can clean up there and get water (fill your camel back out of the soda dispenser don't buy bottled water) and it is really hard to pass up eating lunch at these establishments that sell hot food. You only need enough cooking stuff to heat up a can at night. I do like to percolate coffee in the morning.

If you are doing the whole three weeks, the weather will eventually force you into a motel. Go ahead and budget for a couple of nights. It will be a luxury that you will appreciate plus you'll get a chance to spread all your shit out, wash it and wish you hadn't brought so much.

You can't bring enough tools.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839776

The hand pump is all you need in that department. Do you have practice dealing with those mouses? Check your wheel bearings before you leave.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839776
  6. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    With all that gear your WR will be straining to make Calif. pass, one of our group (WR) almost didn't make it up. To tall of gearing. Both WR's were geared the same, Ken (Blaisew) made it with very little power to spare. Kevin we almost thought we were going to have to turn around as he just barely made it up.

I know Ken wanted to try different gearing and suspect he has some good advice on that.

On the DRZ 15-44 was perfect, but as fate and a wore out sprocket would have it I was running a 13-44 for the Colorado passes, and did them in second gear with no problem. Power was down just a little bit, but i was also running a little lean at 500 feet.

Make sure your WR fuel pump doesn't overheat!!

Check spring rates for front and rear!!! All three of us had revalved suspension and were all happy w/ that. My bike was set up for a 200 lbs rider so with gear I was spot on. I'm only 160lbs.

Tire- Dunlop 606's are my tire of choice, it's DOT and you'll get good miles from it, two sets will do the complete TAT. Hooks up decent on sand. Front more planted than the TKC80's
    The T-63 is a little grippier but I don't know about miles on it.
    TKC80's- not as grippy as the 606 and more money.

Get the heaviest tubes you can buy, carry standard tubes as spares.

OIl filter for oil changes, I used one of the stainless cleanable ones, just use brake cleaner to clean. Changed oil every 1,500 miles.

Steel chain rings are a must!!!!

Lube chain once per day and take that time to look for loose faseners. Carry a few extra nuts and bolts. I did use any for my bike, but the WR's used a few of my bolts.

Find one other person to ride with ....better yet find two!!!! Three people on the TAT is ideal froma safety stand point. In case someone gets hurt, one person to stay behind with injured person and one to get help.

Yeah don't forget to have numbers of parts distributors. I used a couple of different ones, depending on where I was on the TAT.Do a ride report and people will offer help if needed.
  7. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll kick in on the gearing for the WRR. The two of us ran 14-47, and doing it again I would use 14-50. Spring for a Ironman rear sprocket! You just can't wear them out on a trip like this. Don't go to the 13 front as it puts the chain too close to the swing arm. Several have found out the hard way! I also bought a DID X Ring Gold chain and never needed to adjust for the trip. Amazing. We all lubed our chains every morning, whether they needed it or not. As to gearing, yep, California Pass was the only place where first gear was maxed out after making the final switch-back. I never stopped, but the revs were way down and there wasn't a half horsepower to spare. The 50 would have made it a breeze. The other thing is that the 50 will let you use third gear a lot instead of winding it out in second. Lots of places where that happened out west. An option would be to change sprockets when you get to Colorado, or in New Mexico. Lower gearing is not needed until then.

Fuel Pump. Both of our WRR's were 08 models with the original fuel pump. I had no problem, but the other one would get hot and stop. Letting it cool down solved the problem and I think that bike is still doing fine. Mine just finished 2500 miles on the Forever West route this September, and developed a problem along the way. Whenever the gas level got below the pump, it would heat up and provide much reduced flow. Within sight of the finish line, literally, we had to stop and add fuel to the tank to get it to work. I've since replaced the pump with the revised unit and expect no problems for a while. I read very recently that BigDog is now on his third pump having replaced one not long ago. It's really too large to carry on the trip, but it would be a good idea to buy one and have it handy, all boxed up, at home or a friends so they can overnite it to you if needed. Otherwise, the WRR seems bullet-proof.

Carry a spare oil filter, and some pre-oiled Filter Skinz. The latter are great as you can just pull the dirty one off and slip on a new without having to go thru the drill of cleaning and re-oiling the main filter. Lots of dust out west! Check often in NV or you will be loosing a lot of horsepower from a choked engine.

I carried a spare clutch cable taped to the frame, up behind the seat, and to the frame on the other side. Didn't need it but I wouldn't be without a spare. Routing it and having it ready to go would be smarter.

Another item that I really liked was the Wolfman Carry All, hooked to the bars and resting on the headlight fairing above the lens. Very handy for things that need ready access. They come in two sizes and I use the small. I have the large on my Husky. 'Don't know if that will work with the Lynx, but check it out. It puts just a few more items up front and off the rear.

Enjoy the trip; I'm going to do it again before long, the West that is. We routed around just a few areas due to weather or time, and I want to put them all in the bag.
  8. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please tell me how to just quote part of someones response (I've seen others do it where it's quoted in a "box") so I can reply to your responses without copying the whole page? I'm sure it's simple-but I guess so am I:lol3

Also, I'm a little confused on the messages about clothes which relates to temps. I'm under the impression that I will probably see temps in the low 30's or even upper 20's in NV & OR in late Sept in the morning & at night?
  9. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    You just delete the part you don't want.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
  10. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to mail your colder weather gear to my house in CO and pick it up as you swing through.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  11. Abrupt Edge

Oddometer:
    Lefty, when you reply you will see
  12. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, It was the brackets that I was deleting-mucho gracias!
  13. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please tell me Frank you were NOT carrying any camping gear on that trip,cause I'd really look like a knucklehead. I do think I can get the same set up if I didn't have camping gear,which is what I'll be posting pictures of next.
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Lol ! No. No camping gear onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Abrupt Edge

Oddometer:
    Lefty, one more item of concern that I can't get a view of on your bike. Our WRR's had a larger side stand foot pad welded on. Three inch diameter 1/8" steel. It was invaluable. You may already have done something there, but if not, do it! Adjust the pad so it doesn't hit the swing arm when "up". 'Had to offset it just slightly.
  16. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, Thanks, had to do that shortly after I took my first trip with the bike-good thinking.
  17. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here's what I carry for camping: My MSR Habba Habba in a water proof stuff sack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the tent poles that I put in a water proof stuffsack that fits my folding saw in the blue sheath and my kermit chair. I can also store my maps in that stuff sack
    [​IMG]
    This is the Kermit chair (5.6 lbs-I know it adds a lot of weight) and the stuff sack is underneath that can hold the rest of the long shaped items.
    [​IMG]

folding bow saw for fire wood
    [​IMG]
    Dromedary- I think 2 1/2 gal??
    [​IMG]
    camp towel
    [​IMG]
    This opens up into a sink to wash clothes or dishes. I really like it to wash my clothes on the road when there no river to do it. Could do away with it,but it's small & light so I'm up in the air.
    [​IMG]
    on my saddle bags I put the fuel bottle holders on them(4 on each bag) I've found that I can fit these 22oz water bottles in them. I was planning to wear my 70 oz camel back,carry 7 of these water bottles-which will keep the weight down low,and the other will be my red aluminum fuel bottle that will carry my engine oil. The dromedary will be only used when I will be in desert areas camping,and I figure I'll only need the blue water bottles when I get to CO,UT,NV,OR-how does that sound??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cook set ,spork,2 orange things are colapseable cup & bowl
    [​IMG]
    They all fit in together
    [​IMG]

Killer petzl head lamp that has a rechargeable battery with a usb cable:clap also wipes
    [​IMG]
    My camp shoes-very light and flatten down nicely
    [​IMG]
    toiletries,etc.
    [​IMG]

here is the fuel bottle(full) with the device(cranky pump from aerostich) to siphon gas from my tank to use as fule for stove
    [​IMG]
    multi fuel stove
    [​IMG]

My down bag good to around 35F--2.9 lbs--not sure if it will be warm enough-may buy a 0 or 20F bag-really don't want to spend the $. Can carry my 55F summer bag and do a double bag system. I did it this fall-was good down to 22F with all my cold weather clothes on. Tough decision. No picture of my EXPED down mat-tried a lot of different stuff-this is the best I've found. I should mention I've got back & neck problems-big reason why I carry that kermit chair,exped mat,and camp pillow. I deal with lack of sleep/pain in general so I try to minimize it on the road.
    [​IMG]
  18. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
  19. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Backlash

Backlash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Came upon YAHBO near the last day:

[​IMG]

Took a truck and finally a large bicycle pump to set the front bead but got going again.

I will provide a short rundown on what I did but first Merry Christmas to all.

My plan was to do the complete TAT but met up with a couple ADV Riders at Tellico Plains. Their plan was for one to get to Trinidad and the other to ride to someplace in Arkansas. These are the guys and it worked out great sharing the lead and tag teaming the riding in the dust. Also getting across some of the deeper river crossings.

[​IMG]

A few travel shots--Is this the right way???:

[​IMG]

Everyone stops here---

[​IMG]

and here

[​IMG]

Sand in Oklahoma????

[​IMG]

That can get you

[​IMG]

And lovely flower lined endless gravel:

[​IMG]

Until you look ahead and see this:

[​IMG]

And get into a lot of this:

[​IMG]

Just like the TransLab--a little help with a grader berm:

[​IMG]

Leaves are at prime color:

[​IMG]

Replenish the scooter:

[​IMG]

A few weeks ahead I sent a couple tires(Dunlop 908's--I know they are expensive but very heavy construction along with HD tubes for this trip), two tubes, 4 oil filters, new air filter, front and rear sprockets, "O" ring chain, and a couple headlight bulbs to this Yamaha dealer in Buena Vista, Colorado. I consider this half way. Had an appointment at 8:00 in the morning and was out by about 9:30. Good guy and highly recommended.
    I ran 20 psi front and 20 psi rear and didn't have a problem. I also carried a spare front and rear tube, shifter, brake lever, fuel filter for in the tank and one in-line external to the tank. Tire pump--now pay attention--you can get the compact bicycle type pump that has the end connect directly to the valve stem. I prefer the pump that has the piece of air tube that is between the pump and valve stem. This way you can put it onto the ground and put a lot of pressure on it.
    Now with new rubber ready to throw some dirt. I think the first half of the TAT eats tires more than the second half due to the amount of pure gravel riding.

Passes went easy due to the low end of the KTM and the bike being real light--kinda like cheating.

But, I was more concerned about the downhills as there is no way to go but over the edge if you are going to fast. Not a place for my R1200 GSA or a bike heavier than 325 lbs.

[​IMG]

Bring a lot of water the desert & two tracks if any will make a tough few days:

[​IMG]

A real cattle drive with cattle & cowboy:

[​IMG]

Looks like Elk season--300 Weatherby Mag & has to get the hide off quick because it is 102 degrees

[​IMG]

They got this right:

[​IMG]

More of this:

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

Another TAT Hot Spot--Denio Junction

[​IMG]

A lot of fires, smoke, dust and high winds day after day with no photos as it was too tough on keeping the camera stuff protected.

[​IMG]

Looks like the way--gee not another gate to go through:

[​IMG]

Time for another oil change:

[​IMG]

Highly recommended by ADV Rider Phreaky Phil so I spent the night--note the thermometer at around 95 degrees.

[​IMG]

Problem here--my grips on the KTM took all the moisture out through my hands so I was dehydrated. Needed a 24 oz to get back to normal.

[​IMG]

Been turned around a few times during the trip but all easy to get back oriented--until Oregon. Triple turned around, back tracked, compass, laptop, Zumo 660. Note: I already went through my Zumo 550 as it had been on some trips up the Dempster, Denali, to Prudoe Bay, Trans Lab, Newfoundland, Gaspe Penisula, etc. but went out on day two. Got a Zumo 350 sent ahead a couple days so used my backup which was a Colorado 400t. The 350 lasted two days and was a real POS and due to what Garmin said it would do wasn't even close. They sent me a 660 which I finished with. Anyway was lost in Oregon about three times. If you load you route in Basecamp and take a close look you will see the maze of logging rods to get through.
    Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The following looks easy but is really about a 4 inch layer of fine silt with rocks underneath. Better not get going too fast as some are just poking out the top. Again, I wouldn't want a big bike through here for about twenty five miles of this.
    [​IMG]

Get off the trail and go to Crater Lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yup that is snow under the fender

[​IMG]

OK OK I guess I will stop and help this ADV Rider

[​IMG]

So we got it fixed and hauled ass (I mean had to keep it under 55 as the DRZ 400E is not a modern day fuel injected, six speed, lightweight, curvy road pavement pounder like the KTM 500 EXC) to Port Orford beach. I had to run in fifth myself to keep the speed down.
    [​IMG]

YAHBO headed to ship his bike home and I headed to Portland.
    Couple beach shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strip the bike and riding gear to send home via FEDEX

[​IMG]

Took the bike to the terminal

[​IMG]

Pallets look like this

[​IMG]

Hey, a train headed east--not going to fast--I think I can run fast enough to hop on

[​IMG]

Shit--way too fast just have to go get a ticket on the AMTRAK Empire Builder Portland to Chicago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Train took forty hours. Had a sleeper which was great. The KTM left the terminal on a Friday and was near Chicago the next Wednesday and I picked it up on Thursday. Really happy with the terminal-terminal way of shipping. Bike was happy too as it got to ride with a few Harleys.

[​IMG]

The weather was good as I only had a few days of rain. Could have been a game changer in some spots. Some of the passes had mist and rain which made the downhills kinda hairy.
    Recommendations:
    Start with new tires, chain, sprockets, cables, brake pads, air filter etc.

Have a laptop or something with internet access--you will need it

Be able to layer your clothes as it may be 30 in the morning and 100 by afternoon.

Bring spare front and rear tubes, patch kit, pump, brake pads, shifter, brake lever, set of 2 bulbs each

Bring a set of tools to access all fasteners. I mean good tools not cheap shit. Sockets should be six point to keep from rounding off hex heads. Screw driver lengths to reach those long ones and short ones if a long don't fit.

Good textile riding gear--I used REVIT Cayenne Pro Jacket and pants with upgraded armor.

Good boots--I used Aerostich Combat Lights

If you want to go the distance of the complete TAT send out your refurb stuff (tires-filters etc) ahead so you don't have to go shopping.

Have enough range for about 200 miles. I had 250 miles and it worked out but wouldn't have wanted less.

Be in shape for a long day. With going west my body clock had me up by 4:30 am and packed and on the trail no later than 7:00am. Usually rode until about 5:30 in the afternoon.

I rode steady and at a pace I thought was safe. I ran Enduros, Hare Scrambles, and some Six Day Qualifiers for about 15 years--about 26 events per year so had ridden in a lot worse terrain than the TAT.
    But the TAT can take you out easily. It is not a piece of cake.

Now the bike--I raced an Open Class (390-430-500) Husqvarna for most of the years but also had a few Penton/KTM Open bikes. On a 175/250 or smaller bike I would have been twisting the grips right off the throttle as I use the power to loft the front wheel when needed. The KTM 500 EXC was the bike for me but can also put someone in the hspital pretty quick.
    One of the guys had a Suzuki DR200 that did an amazing job but was a light bike. Would be trouble in the passes. I recommend a bike no more than 350 pounds to lift off the ground when tipped or dropped in the creek. I used steering damper but that is my preference.

Again--Have a Merry Christmas
    --Backlash