Getting it straight-- the razor obsessed shaving megathread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RumRunner, Feb 13, 2007.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I've been doing that for 2 years now. Best one was a fancy gold plated (colored) Aristocrat (I think) that I got in a box of Gillette handles (60s and 70s) for $12. That one shaver sold for $167 on ebay. Most sell for $25-$65. Have the time people just give them to me. :evil
  2. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Yup...good stuff.
  3. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody got any permanent scars from their DE? I've got one up high on my left cheek, a Merkur Futur with a fresh Feather. When I say this one dug in hard, it dug in hard! Probably two years ago, and I'm pretty sure this one is with my forever. At least it's in a good spot and adds a bit of character!
  4. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    er nope, no need for a super aggressive razor and supper aggressive blade combo. Merkur 180 long + Astra SP or Israeli Personna's and i hardly get a nick even if i'm being dumb.
  5. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Ouch. :umph

That's one of the reasons that the Feather razor is such a "mild" razor. The Feather blades are almost over-the-top aggressive. In combination, they'll give you a really good shave. If you use any other blade, it's an extremely mild razor. You'll have to shave a couple of times to get a close shave. Edit: I see they've Feather has redesigned their razor to be more "aggressive" (and bumped the price up another US$25.00 :umph).

I'm still primarily using my "Mergress" XL with the Israeli Personna Red Pack blades. I'm really glad I picked this one up when I did. They've been out of stock for a while, now.
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I won't use the Feather blades, they are ninja sharp and I R stupid. I like the top of the line Dorco.

As for the scar, chicks dig scars, good luck. :getiton
  7. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Feather razor, but it's just too wimpy to deal with my beard, which is like sandpaper. I've been on the same program of the Futur/Feather/Cella soap for at least the past year. I have a lot of issues with ingrown hairs and I've been able to control it by shaving every 3-4 days. With the Futur I can literally get such a close shave that I don't start to show much shadow until late afternoon of the second day, and by day 3 it has more of the intentional beard look rather than the "I forgot to shave" look. Every few shaves I might get a nick with the Futur, but it has been a long time since I've carved out a piece.

8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

I love the look and feel of my Feather, but yeah... It just doesn't perform as well as my Futur or Mergress XL.
  9. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Nope..and that's one of the reasons I sold my Futur. Too big, too heavy and too aggressive....not enough headroom for my not being 100% perfect with technique. I'm much happier with my Merkur long handle (non adjustable) and the handful of 60s-70s Gillettes.

On another note...we took our daughters to a local huge mall as a surprise for them. They did great in school last year and are generally great kids. We don't give allowances so this trip each was handed a wad of cash and told to have fun. As I was walking along what do I see but a Art of Shaving store! Woohoo!! Badger nutsack hair brushes galore! I can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for the brushes, but I did spring for a $25 tub of their Lavender shaving cream. I'm cheap so that's really saying something. Smells great and lathers up thick. The 2 hipster/steampunk dudes working the store were helpful and knowledgeable without being pushy.

What was a bit disappointing was the huge collection of fancy handles holding modern multi-blade cartridges. I guess they need to support everyone.

BTW, buy their stuff on Amazon and save $7....I wish I had! :cry

[​IMG]
  10. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    It really depends on your face which blades work best. I suggest trying a variety pack first. You can usually but a 25 pack with 4 different brands to try for $5. They have a 6 pack for $12 as well.

I agree that Astra's have worked well for me but so have Lords and Big Ben. Sharky's, not so much. I can only get a week out of them while I usually get two out of the other brands.

I too use a Merkur Model 180 Long Handle. I'll never go back to cartridges.
  11. PrtclMn001

PrtclMn001 Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    CVS blades in my Merkur Futur still working great :D
  12. ivel_86

ivel_86 Chair Ranger

Oddometer:
    I have a nice Dovo straight I shave with love it. Best shave and it's worth the price and time
  13. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Just read up the Amazon reviews on Art of Shaving shaving cream since I am in dire need to order a new jar of cream.

Looks like the modern reviewers are leaving their products and claiming that since Proctor and Gamble bought them that the creams have been reformulated and/or watered down.

I made the decision to stick with Taylor of Old Bond Street, and just placed my Amazon order 5 minutes ago.
  14. biggziff

Oddometer:

That's a shame, but the tub I bought will last me years at the rate I'm using it.
  15. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying I have the experience with AoS products, but ...

I am supposed to hsave every day for work... sort of...

I find that even the tiniest amount of Taylor of old Bond Street makes plenty of lather, so I can guess what the old AoS products used to offer.
  16. biggziff

Oddometer:
    It's the same with Proaso or the AOS stuff. You need a dab about the size of a peanut to get more lather than you can use even when using the 3 pass method of shaving. Most people use way too much soap/creme just as I did when I started.
  17. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thing I have noticed about AoS, is the scent (sandalwood) in the shaving cream has become very faint, almost undetectable.

P&G probably reduced the scent to get you to buy the aftershave.
  18. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I cant' seem to get the same amount of lather out of the same amount of Prorasso compared to ToOBS.

That's what the modern reviews were saying.
  19. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started with a Merkur Futur and kept cutting myself. I switched to the much lighter long handle and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Using feather blades and some soap my wife got at a arts and crafts festival. I'll be glad when the soap is gone so I can switch back to proraso.
  20. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have great success with lathering on the surface of the shaving soap while it's in the tub. To start, I pour some hot water on the shaving soap, after a minute or so I pour the water off and use my wet brush to lather it up. Usually a minute of swirling the brush on the face of the soap produces enough lather for a quick 2 pass shave. Another minute gets a medium lather, 3 minutes gets enough stiff lather to last as many passes of my DE razor that I have time for.

I recently picked up a tube of Nivea shave paste (put a dab on a wet brush and lather on face) with great results.

I rotate between Proraso green and white, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and the Nivea.

Afterhave is a choice between Pinaud Vanilla, Pinaud Bay Rum, Nivea, or if I'm feeling extra manly, a splash of Aqua Velva. :deal