Zuma 125 blog......

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by AngryScot, May 3, 2010.

1. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make a wind deflector for the front? Took my Z125 into work the other morning with the temp in the high 30's and the only part of me that was getting a slight chill was the top of my knees. Not bad, but it was the only part of me that seemed to be catching any of the slight chill. Was thinking of maybe making a little wind deflector out of some old Truck mudflaps to send the wind up and over.. The windscreen kept the rest of me nice and comfy. Been raining pretty good the last couple of mornings so drove the pickup in to work like a weenie. :D
  2. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I have seen whole leg covering skirt pieces but nothing else really. Some flap design may work but it is few and far between with the chilly mornings now :clap
    Off to pack the might beast for the trip
  3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    No kilt?
  4. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Eh no. :D
  5. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Dust off the cob webs, get the tent out and go for a good honest burn up the coast, ok a slow burn perhaps :D

A 2 day trip, nothing major, approx 270miles round trip. redwood city to russian river the sideways.

Equipment:
    Me
    Wee Beastie
    Tarp Tent
    Sleeping bag and pad
    change of clothes and a tooth brush.
    extra can of gas
    water
    gps & spot
    ipod

The Mayday Melee in West has been going on for a few years, I had time for just the friday party and to head back the next day. On the GS it takes 2 hours on some of the funnest twisty roads, but why do it so quick. I need to smell the ocean, take in the air and scenery as it was such a short trip. The mighty beastie would be the ride of choice.

Small upgrade to the scoot, some reflective pin striping to the tail lights, what can I say I like my bling!
    [​IMG]

Packed up and ready to go:
    tent and pad along with a few tools etc under the seat, the sleeping bag and tent etc. in the top bag. The bag on the floor board holds the 1 gallon gas can and water bottle.
    [​IMG]

I thought I may pick up a few things on the way so I loaded up the trailer just in case.
    [​IMG]
    Bit slow pulling up the hills and the twisties can be interesting
    [​IMG]

Darn wind kept the speed in check
    [​IMG]

Stopped to pray at the water temple.
    [​IMG]

Climbed the first big hill, but this jerk wouldn't move over! It only takes me 30-45 seconds to pass geeze!
    [​IMG]

Quick snack stop and then back on the road
    [​IMG]

Views were BORING!!!! :snooze :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got the camera setting wrong and what was a view turned into a painting
    [​IMG]

back onto hwy1 into the city
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My summer home, why are those people walking on my front path
    [​IMG]

My fountain was working fine
    [​IMG]

the GG off in the distance, sideways route means little traffic but a few more miles. No freeway for the Wee Beastie.
    [​IMG]

Here we go!
    [​IMG]
  6. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    OK, where are we?
    Oh yeah, drop off the GG and back into town. Not a bad view
    [​IMG]

ugh traffic, they had a one way light but I had bad timing and they had started by the time I was close to the front.
    [​IMG]

Slowly picked them off one by one and I was alone again
    [​IMG]

extra detour via mnt tam
    [​IMG]

awful views again
    [​IMG]

The road sucks too
    [​IMG]

then into the woods for some pot hole and bumpy down hill goat trail action, I even managed to make the beastie jump as I hit a rather large tree truck that had pushed up the road. Slight pucker on the seat on that one!
    [​IMG]

slowly dropping back to sea level
    [​IMG]

some of the corners are like a roller coaster, who knew you could grind out a scoot!
    [​IMG]

some nature and shit like that.
    [​IMG]

This is why I filled up the gas can, I knew the mnt tam detour and hills to get to the top would drain the fuel a bit. I can normally get to the first gas spot without issue, I just made it though. About 80mpg this fill up.
    [​IMG]

After gassing up, pulled out of point reyes and headed further up the coast, pulled over to get this guy off the road. Shame really cool looking snake.
    [​IMG]

zoom, zoom, the scoot really makes you work for it, the speed for the corner has to carry through so you don't have to crawl up the hill on the other side of the twisties.
    [​IMG]

If the damn headwind wasn't so strong I could have tried for a top speed on flattish road sections :lol2
    [​IMG]

damn closed for lunch? :D
    [​IMG]

the twisty part before tomales is one of my favorite road sections this trip, so smooth and great corners
    [​IMG]

Stopped for another snack.
    [​IMG]

warp speed I got it!
    [​IMG]

then finally the destination
    [​IMG]
  7. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Some camping and chat with some friends and a good night in the tent
    [​IMG]

I won the tiny bike award :lol2
    [​IMG]

more twisty forest roads to get me back to the coast
    [​IMG]

A side trip for next time perhaps
    [​IMG]

flying through the meeker
    [​IMG]

so much traffic!!! :ricky
    [​IMG]

I better be careful I don't want to end up vulture food!
    [​IMG]

This is not a tape worm but a fresh baked cinnamon twist, I ate it and I liked it so there!
    [​IMG]

It came from here
    [​IMG]

Pinned and maybe even hit 52mph
    [​IMG]

I needed the speed the fun section was next
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mini off road to get the view
    [​IMG]

No this "(^*&^(&*% in front, would not pull over and did 35 through the 55 sections until a bike in front of her made her slow down and the road gave me the opportunity to pass her. some people make the list, she is one of them. She was harshing my buzz.
    [​IMG]
    The motor spun up and this is where I eventually hit mt top speed of 61.7! :lol2
    [​IMG]

Again it was gas time, had to wait for these folks to get out of the way! I only need a gallon motherfuckers!!!! :lol2
    [​IMG]

cool car in town
    [​IMG]

Passed many of these too, some bike race. most were cool and stayed on the edge, only a few asshats thought they owned the entire lane.
    [​IMG]

again those views of suckage!
    [​IMG]

The wee beastie did rather well uphill this time, no wind and no traffic so I could keep the throttle pinned and weave my way through the fun.
    [​IMG]

an again across the GG, no wind which was very nice, those expansion joints on my tiny wheels are bad enough but add wind and it is pucker time
    [​IMG]

Lots of sand this time on HWY1, almost lost it just a bit further up, it had blown a huge amount of sand on the road and I hit it before I noticed how deep it was. wiggle, wiggle I think I may have tingled myself! was the oh hell mount of the trip.
    [​IMG]

Problem with sat return day was traffic on 1, especially near half moon bay, so some lane splitting was in order.
    [​IMG]

back home via the twisty roads and some shade was welcome
    [​IMG]

not bad for a 270ish mile trip and all side roads
    [​IMG]

The scoot did great as always, if this keeps up I may just have to tweak her with some better shocks etc, she is fun to ride.

FIN
  8. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    :lol3

The 'Wee Beastie'!

:clap

Loving the trailor!

:freaky

Missing CA...

:cry

Thanks for posting!

:wave
  9. savit260

savit260 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip! One thing though... your ocean appears to be on the wrong side of the street ( a little East Coast humor for ya)
  10. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    I like the taillight idea!
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    You are right but not correct :lol2

Too cheap for the led conversion is all :hide
  12. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but this way youre still visible even if the tail light cuts out or the bike is off.
  13. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you don't mind me asking; what's your size and weight? i'm thinking of one of these for summer commuting and i gotta figure if it'll pull me up a coupla hills at a reasonable speed.
  14. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Eh "stocky"? :lol2
    The scoot had a tent, pad, bag and clothes plus an extra gas can (1 gallon) and with me (190-ish) and most hills up to 18% grade and can hold 35-40 or better, it is changing speed while going uphill that is a pain, cut the throttle and it is going to be a while :rofl
    For none highway communing even in a few 50 zones I don't have any complaints really. 35-45 is the sweet spot for me I rarely find I cannot obtain that unless a really steep hill or have to drop the throttle and open it up again. Most of the times I find that I am being slowed down on misty twisty uphills by cars not the other way around as they cannot corner as well and I can keep up no worries, passing :poser that is a downhill with a wind and some drafting involved for me at least.
    Where are you, maybe someone has one you can take a spin on?
    The dealer let me test ride this one.
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Of course I thought of that as I am really clever!
    :hide
  16. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riverside
    that was going to be my next question :D

sounds like it'll work for me.
  17. EvilGenius

Oddometer:
    :smooch
  18. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was always told that the 125cc Zuma was the quickest, fastest 125cc scooter.
    Yamaha is the quiet scooter brand that nobody thinks about when they first want a scooter.
    Yamaha doesn't much promote or advertize their scooters much, when you visit a Yamaha dealer the scooters are in the dark corner of their show room.
    Brother-in-law asked for my opinion on a 125cc scooter and i recommended the Zuma but he doesn't like it told me it looks too much like a childs toy, like a mini bike and he's a big guy and he's afraid he will look bad riding it, then I told him don't buy any scooter, a scooter isnot for him, instead buy a big cruiser motorcycle
    I look at myself and maybe other scooter owners-riders as we are practable people that don't care what everybody thinks or how good we look or how bad we look riding one, we love our scooters so much we don't care what anybody else thinks.
    Was out yesterday watching the guys on their cruiser bikes, notice how they look and dress, they have to look cool, when we ride scooters we don't have to dress up in all black with a doo-rag and look like clowns, we are more free, we have more freedom, we don't have to follow the culture, we are rebels in our own way. Come to think about it I was once that way, owning cruiser bikes in the past, I discovered I was pretending to be something I was not, the motorcycle controled me, I didn't enjoy riding that big cruser motorcycle, I just rode it to show it off and thinking I was impressing everybody but I wasn't impressing myself. Now I have a scooter, when the tough looking guys make fun of my scooter I just sit there and point my finger at them and just laugh cause they don't know once I was the same way and they are lost, then the same crotch rocket riders can't match my scooter speed on a tight curve, or if I see a crotch rocket ahead of me I always see his brake lights on rounding a curve, my favorate comment I always tell other riders: "Nice Bike, too bad you can't ride it" ha ha ha!
  19. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:

Ride a Zuma 125 then a Genuine Buddy 125 back to back and form your opinion then. Zuma is not the fastest, fun scoot none the less.
  20. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice p0st tacoma. I still have a harley and I ride a 70cc scooter more than any other of my bikes. I am 270... only cuz I lost 20 lbs and I am 6 foot 3. I don't know how ridiculous I look on a honda passport but I have had a van of ladies filming me for 3 or 4 stop lights and laughing the whole time. I don't care, cuz every inch on a passport is better than any ride at disneyland any day!