Misaligned forks

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MazeWSP, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MazeWSP

MazeWSP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, this question may have already be answered and if so would someone point me in the right direction. noticed last night that my forks are not aligned with my handlebars and are slightly bent to the right. rhode hard this weekend and I'm sure that is the culprit. also have sw-motech crash bars and they are slightly bend. not sure if i need to bend the forks back or the crash bars or both. just looking on what to do and the procedure
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first step is loosen the axle bolts and bottom fork tube bolts, stick the tire between your legs, grab the handlebars and give it a twist. Tighten and check it that solves it.

Since axle bolts are loose give the suspension a few bounces.
  3. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    check the handlebars as well...may need to adjust the clamps
  4. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Yes exactly what they said! I've "mis-aligned" my forks/bars many times. Both will twist under the "right" circumstances and that's Ok 'cause it may save something from being permanently altered.

The twist is especially true if you have some risers on there.

Dave
  5. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tweaked mine the other day and easily loosened the four fork tube bolts, held tire between my legs and lined them back up.

The guy I was riding with (extremely seasoned) said he leaves his bolts purposely a little loose so the forks will twist in a wreck as opposed to bending something else. Not sure if thats good advice but I suppose it makes sense. I set mine back to torque spec.
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would call that bad seasoning. Like putting curry on a ribeye.