This boggles my mind.

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by georgej, Sep 7, 2014.

1. georgej

georgej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of money, but it's a very nice bike. Not very long ago, I think there was some discussion on here about how the 100S would be the next collectors bike in the airhead world, since so many of the 90S's are in collections. Looks like maybe it's time has come.
  3. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    For that price, I'd want more than the book in the tool box. At least the tools, with rag and first aid kit!

I'd also want a seat that didn't look like an afterthought and suspension that worked on the rear much better than oem too. Koni's/ikon's at the very least.

The pinstripes don't look right, so premium $ non original?...if you're into that. Correct me if wrong on the stripping.
  4. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    Doesn't make sense to me. The bike is in Boise. Is there an acute shortage of airheads in the mountain west? That's collection level money, and not a collection level bike.
  5. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somethin fishy there. That is way over bought. $6K bike at most...
    For some reason it is privately bid so no one can see the bidders. Weird.
    After more thought, I bet he has friends bidding it up and we will see it again or he is hoping for a miracle and someone not in the know will think it is a rare bike and bid on it1 That price is insane.
    I sold a perfect 82 R100S/T last year with 11,000 miles on it for 8500. Totally original.
    I'd sure like to see who the owner ends up being, but it won't happen with a private auction.
  6. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty stunning, but on any given day...

What blows my mind is that a good friend has a pristine, updated, under 9k miles GS for sale and can't get anyone to buy it for $7500. It's ready to go - anywhere.

Que sera.
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't agree that the R100S is going to ever compare to the R90S in collectible status. With collectable vehicles being the First often counts for a lot of status. The R90S was the First.

I think /5's will gain in some value. But the R90S will be the top of the pile forever. In Airheads that is.

What is happening is people use Ebay to try and drive prices up. This $10,000 S bike is a loser. It is a nice rider maybe but not worth that much. Original is collectable. If you are going to "restore" a bike then it should be "restored" to original. But "restored " is still worth less than original.

I personally hate the word "restored". Please. If you are new to this and decide to clean up your bike and paint the frame, please, don't call it a "restoration". You may call it a rebuild or a paint job. But it is not "restored."
  8. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
  9. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    17K! Wow.

Anybody know the record?

I am surrounded in my neck of the woods by people for whom that is not an amount they need to really worry about. Strange days.
  10. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I knew I should have hung on to the old bikes .... $17k :eek1
  11. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was a Daytona Orange R90S that sold on ebay for like $21K. If I remember correctly it was a one owner '74 in original condition with pristine paint and had about 9K on the clock. Crazy.
  12. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    A new top end bike will easily cost more than any of these. Their value is almost as arbitrary, based as much or more on marketing as materials and engineering, and they are decidedly not rare. So why shouldn't these be expensive? And as we all know, or should know, restoring a bike will cost a not insignificant amount of money.

What we all need to get our head around is that a loaf of bread can be $5.
  13. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I agree with disston. Someone is attempting to raise the market value or perception of the 100S. And, yes, the pin stripes aren't stock. The bike looks nice but probably isn't worth more than $5K if everything is pristine.
  14. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Up to $10,100.00 smackers :eek1...looks like some folks want it badly....:huh
  15. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    That one isn't worth the $10K.

I had a Smoke Red 78 R100S. Bought it new. It did not have glossy side covers. That seat is UGLY, but the stock seat was like sitting on a board for ME. Too many points off for non stock/original stuff.

That said, PT Barnum said it best.... The seller just needs one.

Gerg
  16. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    This is a good point. Interesting too, is how quickly a new bike will depreciate relative to an old airhead. In fact it would seem that most airheads are either holding their value or appreciating relative to their mileage and condition.
  17. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all old bikes are. I chatted with a guy today on a ratty hondamatic 400. He told me how he got a deal and only paid $1400. :huh
  18. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    So, we need to change our tune. Whenever an overpriced airhead comes up, there is a collective groan that it's only worth $1500 or something lowball. Wait, we all own airheads...

Let's talk 'em up!
  19. ccmickelson

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on whether one is buying, selling or holding.
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Non-original paintwork ruins it for me. A '78 S should be smoke red with gold pins. Like this:

[​IMG]

In spite of what the seller claims, the pinstripes were actually applied before the clear coat on '78 S's.

Whatever, it's a good, clean-looking R100S. But without the original style smoke red paint it'd be like buying an R90S in blue and yellow. :dunno

[​IMG]