Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #181
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
So, is the AK State Ferry the only option for guy and his 2 boys who'd like to take a ferry ride with their motorcycles for some camping and exploring?
We have to depart/return the Seattle/Bellingham area; the Seattle ferry rides are kinda short (just commuters, really), and at ~$1500 a head , that AK Ferry juice ain't worth the squeeze. Too bad, sounds unique.....

Any other ideas for a some fellas just looking for a little "Beginner ADV" 3-5 day trip that won't break the bank?
Sure....Ride up the Olympic peninsula. Go to Ozette....and then Neah Bay and then Port Angeles or Port Townsend.....ferry across to Vancouver Island. Victoria then up to Port Renfrew......circle back to the east coast of the Island, head North....ferry across to the Sunshine Coast.....South to Sechelt and then ferry to Horseshoe Bay.....Hit the Highway and back to Bellingham.

That would keep you guys busy for a few days.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #182
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Sure....Ride up the Olympic peninsula. Go to Ozette....and then Neah Bay and then Port Angeles or Port Townsend.....ferry across to Vancouver Island. Victoria then up to Port Renfrew......circle back to the east coast of the Island, head North....ferry across to the Sunshine Coast.....South to Sechelt and then ferry to Horseshoe Bay.....Hit the Highway and back to Bellingham.

Looks like fun http://goo.gl/maps/saojN

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #183
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
There is also the Black Ball ferry running from Port Angeles to Victoria: https://cohoferry.com/
That Black Ball Ferry looks like a great alternative -- thanks! Ideally, we'd like to be a bit more "remote" (mostly to avoid traffic for the noobs), but a $250 round trip is doable for 3 bikes & riders.

Quote:

That looks like a great route. I'll have to avoid Interstates with the CRF230Ls, but don't mind backtracking along that routing a bit; might keep it in the hip pocket for a solo ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Thanks for mappin' it out. Extra credit.

Appreciate the vectors, Fellas!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #184
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Hey...add the ferry from Campbell River to Powel River and back down to Sechelt. Much better circle route.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #185
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Quote:
Hey...add the ferry from Campbell River to Powel River and back down to Sechelt. Much better circle route.
http://goo.gl/maps/u9frK

Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #186
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Ooops...Campbell River, no need to go all the way up there unless you want some of the best Borscht and pastries at Steiner's.

Ferry is from Courtenay. Canadian route is like that:

http://goo.gl/maps/zOIIw
Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #187
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 230
Not sure bout this, I did it when I came in from Hawaii years ago. Look into putting your bike in the cargo container that is loaded into an aircraft. My bike flew with me so when I landed at LA I took a taxi to the cargo terminal put my windsheild on and drove away.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #188
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,484
Uh oh, the normally floating AMHS dock in Skagway has sunk and is closed till at least mid-May.

Dock update: It appears an internal water line broke and flooded the chambers within the dock causing it to sink. In the next few days they will pump it out at low tide and refloat it. If all goes well they just have to get the ramp operational and we'll be back in business! Stay tuned!

Updated update: Refloated. Most recent info: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/pubs/.

http://www.ktoo.org/2014/04/24/amhs-...way-collapses/

AKDuc screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 07:24 PM
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #189
havoc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Very strongly considering the Haines > Prince Rupert leg 19-21JUN. I was looking at Haines > Bellingham since I'm headed to Tacoma, but it seems awfully slow and wickedly expensive. Trying to get the rest of my leave days lined up so I can get the GS shipped up to Anchorage, fly up to get it (but where? Port? More research needed!) on 11 JUN, spend 12-18 June getting as far as Atigun Pass and then back down to Haines.

I'd prefer to ride it all, but the leave time won't allow for that unless I wanted to dedicate the trip to making miles rather than making memories. I figure the ferry towards the end gives me some recharge time before the last 3 days of riding to get back down to Tacoma.

Just cocktail-napkining it, these are my stop points:
JUNE
12 Arrive ANC, pick up bike, get to Palmer
13 (somewhere)
14 Fairbanks
15 As faqr as Atigun & back to Coldfoot
16 Fairbanks
17 (somewhere)
18 into Haines
19 Ferry from Haines, AK
20 Ferry
21 Arrive early & depart Prince Rupert, BC
23 Tacoma
24 Back to work. Ugh.

Thanks for a great thread! I figure this trip will be just enough to whet my whistle and get me fired up to do it again in the coming years with one or more of the kids.
havoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 AM   #190
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1 View Post
Trying to get the rest of my leave days lined up so I can get the GS shipped up to Anchorage, fly up to get it (but where? Port? More research needed!) on 11 JUN

Thanks for a great thread! I figure this trip will be just enough to whet my whistle and get me fired up to do it again in the coming years with one or more of the kids.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. About your bike coming to Anchorage, the company http://alaskaclassicmotion.com/ has been helping folks with shipping for years. You may also want to start a thread in the 'Alaska' forum on here to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #191
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1 View Post
Very strongly considering the Haines > Prince Rupert leg 19-21JUN. I was looking at Haines > Bellingham since I'm headed to Tacoma, but it seems awfully slow and wickedly expensive. Trying to get the rest of my leave days lined up so I can get the GS shipped up to Anchorage, fly up to get it (but where? Port? More research needed!) on 11 JUN, spend 12-18 June getting as far as Atigun Pass and then back down to Haines.

I'd prefer to ride it all, but the leave time won't allow for that unless I wanted to dedicate the trip to making miles rather than making memories. I figure the ferry towards the end gives me some recharge time before the last 3 days of riding to get back down to Tacoma.

Just cocktail-napkining it, these are my stop points:
JUNE
12 Arrive ANC, pick up bike, get to Palmer
13 (somewhere)
14 Fairbanks
15 As faqr as Atigun & back to Coldfoot
16 Fairbanks
17 (somewhere)
18 into Haines
19 Ferry from Haines, AK
20 Ferry
21 Arrive early & depart Prince Rupert, BC
23 Tacoma
24 Back to work. Ugh.

I understand you can get an inexpensive room at the college in Fairbanks.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #192
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,242
then at horseshoe bay, go north loop over hurley pass , south via west harrison

Quote:
Ooops...Campbell River, no need to go all the way up there unless you want some of the best Borscht and pastries at Steiner's.

Ferry is from Courtenay. Canadian route is like that:

http://goo.gl/maps/zOIIw