Etymotic ER6i earbuds discontinued: now what??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. nfranco

nfranco over macho grande?

Oddometer:
  3. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
  4. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting - too bad it doesn't work with any Bluetooth headsets. One technology I would LOVE to have would be the ability to pump my Cardo Scala G4 microphone input into the earbuds with the push of a button (automatically would also be good!). This would let me hear people more easily with the Er6i's in. The Awareness app looks close - but not useable with my G4.
  5. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:

I tired them and the drivers were crap. The molding material was poor quality as well.

Run away. Huge waste of money.

Tempted to try Sugru.
  6. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I think Sugru would be a bit too stiff to be comfortable in your ear, but it is worth a try. Pics please.....
  7. stegs

stegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is this feature available anywhere? As a result of 40+ years of working in noisy factories I am very hard of hearing and have no show of understanding what anyone is saying to me till I get my earplugs out. Something like this mike-input to earbuds would be great.
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
  9. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

That's what I did. Expanded the ear pocket just a little. You won't even be able to tell.

[​IMG]
  10. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I formally submitted this idea to the Cardo guys through their website and got a polite "nope" note back. I don't see them doing this as their system is not designed for earbuds (I had to modify mine - JetGirl in Phx can do yours for $40).

We need one of the electrically-talented gurus lurking out there to figure this out.
  11. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    At Bike Week this year, I finally got a custom set of earbuds made. I got the basic model which ran $185 and use the older, "tube" technology...there are not actual speakers in the earpieces. At speed, I don't think a more expensive set of earspeakers would matter.

A custom set of earbuds are supremely comfortable, long lasting and transmit music at enough fidelity to make the miles go by quickly. No more problems of pulling an earbud out (like I had with with Sennheisers and to a lesser degree, my last set of Shure)..no more "ear itch", no more instances of yawning/coughing, etc and having the speaker move out of my ear.

I wish that I'd gotten these custom earbuds years ago vs. buying that set of Shure earspeakers.

YMMV.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    I have the Westone 4 which are similarly shaped. They sound fantastic but I can't use them under a helmet. Due to the over-the-ear design they come off my ears when I put my helmet on unlike my er-6i which always stay put. You might not have this issue but thought I should mention it.
  14. Texcollect

Texcollect Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    I used to have that problem, but a helmet liner that covers the ears cured it :)
  15. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be clear, are you saying that you use the westone earbuds with a helmet liner and they work fine?
  16. Texcollect

Texcollect Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    I wore these with a helmet liner. I believe that they are a similar design to the Westones. The liner lets the helmet sllip over the ears without disturbing the earphones.
  17. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Fawk. I lost my er6i 10 days ago... Bought some cheapies at a drugstore, but I need something better. How I wish I could just buy another set of new er6i headphones.
  18. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Well, just want to chime in. I got a set of the hf5 and will say that they fit comfortably under the helmet and the sound is extremely good.
  19. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Those don't sound like a good fit for motorcycles - from what I read, they are for construction workers, etc where they are exposed to short burst of loud noises - kind of like automatic welder's goggles for your ears. I that situation, regular plugs are never in when you need them, so I think the idea is to leave these in all the time and they will protect your ears if and when required.

I guess they might be useful for riding around town where you want to hear at low speeds but get the noise cut at higher speeds. :dunno They are also $$$$$ - almost as much as Shure 535's!