VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    Just traded in my 2005 KLR650 last week for a 2005 V-Strom 650....

And I am loving it. The KLR was great and took me to Alaska twice....but now its the Wee's turn.

[​IMG]

11k miles on it SW-Motech Engine guards and center stand. Rear luggage rack, Cee-Bailies (SP?) windshield. Flush mount turn signals, Givi top box plate... I'm probably forgetting something....Nicely Farkled!

And you'd think with all that I wouldn't have much to add....But I have a running list already.
  2. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    Have one almost the exact same. Same year, color, sw motech engine guard and what not. A great bike for a small amount of $.

You might wanna get a skid plate for it, the oil filter is placed a really akward place, and if you are heading for AK it might get a tad dangerous.

Cheers

Martin
  3. cb4017

cb4017 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've only had my DL1000 a few days and managed to put a little over 100 miles on it between snow flurries. The more I ride it the more I like it. It's comfortable, has plenty of power and handles like a smaller & lighter bike. Mine runs pretty good and does not seem to be afflicted with the fueling issue horror stories I've read about.

It's a real smile machine... :D
  4. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 45 years (started young) its the best I have owned. I buy at least one new used bike each year, sell another, but this one stays. Bought it 3 years ago. Watching out for 96-98 XJ600s next because they are so pretty and I want to rejet those carbs.

Synching the DL throttle bodies helps with low end drivability and its free power under the curve and free usable rpm range.

Madstad and large windscreen, and don't tighten the hinges too much- you can reach out there while riding and move back and forth while riding for more wind blast or less wind blast if you set those nuts right. No need for electric operated screen with those brackets.

Battlewings are great for road.

I like my Suzuki gel seat. Fork braces, and extension for the hand guards are both from sellers on VSRI. German centerstand. The brushguards and belly armor came with it but do no harm for road riding. I bought a new speedometer faceplate from someone off the forum who made them at home 3 years ago, seems to have stopped. Looks OEM but the numbers are where they should be.

I took off the extra tooth rear sprocket it came with, I think its balanced right with stock gearing. Most bikes are. I love that it is so quiet and feels right while moving.

Getting ready for spring, the suspension is the weak point. Have springs and emulators for the front, need a shock for out back.

Am considering darkside tire. Worked wonders for my Burgman 650, which really needed the help as presented by the factory. Ride that full throttle all the time from all stops and the tire will last the rest of my life.

Stromtrooper is better than VSRI as more people use Stromtrooper. Go read everything Greywolf wrote.

I cannot believe the KLE 500 was not offered in US all those years. An EX500 set up for adventure from the factory. WTF Kawasaki were you thinking?

-Johnny ro
  5. MuleDawg

MuleDawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i actually went up a tooth just on front sprocket and love this gearing match up, can run 70mph easy. had it on the interstate back in June headed to W. Virginia and it run fine at 80mph.i was pleasantly surprised. motor wasnt balls to the walls if u know what i mean. didnt seem to lose any low end either.love this machine but its up on the market for sale only to venture to a 1200 super tenere or tiger explorer? It has lots of farkles
  6. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    Yep a skid plate is top on the list for upgrades. When we were up there this past summer on the KLRs we bounced some stuff off the skid plate that would have done some real damage....So far I am loving it.

Can't wait for warm weather so I can ride it more.
  7. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my Vee today!! Put about 100 miles on it getting back to my hotel. Noticed a little surging around 2800-3000 rpms. Nothing to bad. The fuel gauge don't seem to be working though. Still shows full after the 100 miles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. BornAgain

BornAgain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steady hwy riding I'll see 100 miles before the gauge drops a bar. I get a surge between 2500 - 3000 in third gear its annoying but not enough to worry about.
  9. cb4017

cb4017 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good choice Nitro. I think you will be much happier with the DL1000 over the DL650 for your intended use. Mine also has the lean surge but runs good otherwise.

You may end up wanting to move the top box back for 2-up use. I found some ways to do that when I was researching the DL1000 Adventure on V-Strom specific forums.
  10. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may end up wanting to move the top box back for 2-up use. I found some ways to do that when I was researching the DL1000 Adventure on V-Strom specific forums.[/QUOTE]

What ways did you find since I am too lazy to look and you may remember.
  11. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Very Nice! Love the red. Congrats on the new ride.
  12. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    Rode it home in the wind, rain and occasional sleet. Bike handled really well. After 180 miles the fuel gauge still says full (took 4.4 gal to fill up) so off to the dealer this weekend to get checked out
  13. cb4017

cb4017 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just when I start to find little issues that bother me with the wee I go off and have an awesome ride.
    She's sneaky like that....
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361489614.752693.jpg
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

Nice pic, and nice bike... :thumb

...too bad about the owner. :nah

:augie

:wave Goodcat

16. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    :wave JJ
  17. locksmith777

locksmith777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sold my K5 and picked up this very clean L0 .
    [​IMG]
  18. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    Dropped the bike off at the shop to get the fuel gauge up and going... Mentioned the bit of surging also but from what I hear they'll most likely "not find anything wrong" with that.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's cool, but who figures this stuff out?:lol3

When I was in college, there was a guy that figured out that if he went behind the vending machine and got a shock by putting his fingers on 2 terminals. he could get a free ice cream. He'd even take the zap for some of his closest friends.:1drink
  20. Nitro1970

Oddometer:
    Intercom systems... What y'all use on the Stroms? Mostly just for two riding... Something wireless maybe. Bluetooth?