The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    how many hose's on an 02? :scratch

on my 96, there are only 3, fuel and 2 vent/drain hoses, that point down..
  2. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Played with mine a little yesterday at the shop. Its super clean. Had an easy life. Have original MSO and bill of sale where he traded in a DR350 on it here locally :D

-followed the kick instructions here and was only 4 kicks cold :evil idling it up helped a lot
    -my tires "only have 4 rides" but must be old as shit as they are chunking like hell
    -the purple headlight shroud and bars are growing on my: proud to be '96 :freaky = the year i lost my virginity, got drunk, and listened to Smashing Pumpkins "1979", Fugees "killing me softly", Oasis "wonderwall"

Had a few bikes there
    '07 Husky 610SM: 318lbs full of gas, no mirrors, no tag bracket, no passenger pegs, new pipe, no bark busters
    '07 Yami WR450: 285lbs with 3 gallons, rear rack, gps, skid plate, ready to go street legal
    '96 Hondo XR400: 283bs with full tank, skid plate, dirty tires, gps mount, bark busters
    '11 Husky 310TE: 263lbs with full tank, big bark busters, stock pipe, dirty tires

The 450 rips :eek1 lofts the front end immideatly, at any moment, too much for me in woods really, out west would be cool
    The 610 has very, very solid power and street manners, but is long and top heavy (it's all relative) great for dirt rds
    The 310 is nimble, wedgie giving tiny seat, fun to catch air, revs to moon, sexy
    The 400 weight feels little like the 310, but tractors like the 610, solid power, better street manners than 310 ... I like it! 100+ mile ride in 26 hours and counting ....

::: excuse my Moto ramblings- just pumped about new bike :D :D
  3. Tachedoutoffroad

Oddometer:
    I'm a noob to this bike, but I've had 8 in the last year Looking for the happy medium and this one seems perfect for a 20 min ride to woods, 5 hour atv trail, dirt rds, and ride home, ole faithful bike. All the DRs I rode I wasn't impressed with. 350 and 200 were underpowered and the 200 and 400 were as big as 610 but 1/3 the power :huh
  4. Tachedoutoffroad

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah....

[​IMG]
  5. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    mine "almost" looks like that! :D
  6. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is an XR650R wheel a direct swap onto my xr400 forks? If so, will the brake rotor need to be changed or are they the same as well?
  7. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:

The one time I went riding in the desert, (Barstow, CA), I rode an XR200, bored to 230. That sucked because it was too small for me. I am 6' 3" 230 lbs. However, my friend also has an XR400, and I rode that as well. It was a dream to ride. He lives out there and swears by the whole XR line for desert riding. Bullet proof reliability, and plenty of power to get you to Funzville.
  8. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the search so if it’s been covered my apologies.

Has anyone installed a Scotts damper using the BRP sub-mount upper triple clamp and forward-mounted tower? I like this setup because there is no welding and it doesn’t block the oil fill location.

http://www.brpmoto.com/products?pag...page.pbv.tpl&product_id=1213&category_id=1471

I’m still in love with my 14 year old XR even though I ride with a bunch of orange “button pushers”. :norton

[​IMG]
  9. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    well..you what they say, if you play with barn dirt, you'll start to smell like the barn! :lol3

:amazon
  10. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:rofl
  11. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I have willpower!!!!

:flip
  12. cynicwanderer

cynicwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had the opportunity to ride my 29 yrs old xr200r in a desert enduro this summer... I agree, the xr200r is _NOT_ a desert bike, but having said that, it's bullet proof and did pretty well, considering. I never had any doubts whether I was going to be able to finish the course or not, just not very fast.

in general, the XR line is bullet proof, and only lack modern suspension and high output motors. the xr400r and xr650r have the most modern stock suspension, out of that line, but the xr650r kind of deviates from the XR philosophy and seems more like a crf than a xr to me.

13. spawn_x

spawn_x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted here in a while.. lot of hours at work and no time for fun. With gas prices the way they have been, and both of my vehicles being large and heavy V8s, the XR became a daily driver / commuter (still in dirt form though). Some random thoughts and questions...

No problems with the 440 kit yet. Hearing some noise from the top, I want to say it sounds like the dipstick is rattling against something :huh will check the valves, but don't think that's it.

Need to figure out the right jetting / carb (stock carb), just doesn't feel the way I think it should. Looking at that bst40 (the polaris carb) when time and money allows

Riding around with a cracked rear (Excel) wheel after hitting a rock (was very low on air), need to get that fixed

I see a lot of straight (supermoto?) type rear fenders - the Acebris ones, are those the same style? Can't find an actual picture.. prefer not to pay 60 dollars for the Aloop or Maier or other fancy names, Acebris ones are cheap, and I want RED

Little caliper screw (one covering the slide shaft) is stuck on the rear again.. need to rebuild the rear m/c, any tips to get it out? Heat it with a torch?

Its great there is still love for the XRs. It is unfortunate that there's nothing on the market now that's as bulletproof as these bikes.. I did ask the guys at Scott's what they thought about USD conversions, and their take is that you're messing with the physics of the bike and the forces that the front part of the frame will see

Have to buy an fmf header too, one that came on my bike never did match up with the fmf rear and leaks, so its time to take care of that

I'll post a pic later.. :D
  14. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:
    Love the clean rear fender - do you have any close up shots of hows it mounted and what you used.
  15. German Trick

German Trick Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. spawn_x

spawn_x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got tired of those baja designs blinkers. Seems they are made of cheap rubber that dries up and breaks apart eventually. I was going to go with something flush, but ended up taking blinkers out all together
  17. cirell

cirell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello
    Was wondering how long you guys stretch an oil change out to, my manual says 600 miles ( 1000 km) but its a bit restrictive on a long unsupported ride - does anyone increase oil change intervals by using synthetic oils for example.
    Any feedback appreciated.
  18. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:
  19. spawn_x

spawn_x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go by color, smell, and how it feels between fingers. All depends on temps, type of oil, how hard you've ridden it, condition of engine, and other variables. I run mostly Honda synthetic, and will vouch for better oil quality vs regular oils and different brands. 8.95 a quart at the dealer, reasonable enough
  20. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    The manual suspect that you will be riding or racing your XR hard in the dirt thus the recommendation of 600 miles between oil changes. My XR is tagged and rides 80-90% dirt so I give it 1500 miles.