New Shoei GT-Air Full Face Shoei J-Cruise Open Face

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both with internal sun visors! :clap

We are really excited to check out these two new helmet models here at Competition Accessories. The all new Shoei GT-Air and J-Cruise borrow the very popular internal sun visor design from the Shoei Neotec

Shoei does it different - rather than compromising on the thickness of the EPS foam liner, Shoei builds up a recess into the outer shell of the helmet to accommodate the sun visor. This allows them to provide this great feature without compromising on safety.

The Shoei GT-Air is a full face helmet with a very nice looking shell design:
    [​IMG]

Some of the Shoei GT-Air Features:
    [​IMG]

While the J-Cruise is an open face design which will also be very popular:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have full details on both these helmets on our website at CompetitionAccessories.com

Hopefully we will have these helmets in our hands in the next week or two and we will be sure to bring you a detailed review including videos. Stay tuned!
  2. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We got to take our first look at the Shoei GT-Air and Shoei J-Cruise helmets yesterday.

A lot of people have been waiting for Shoei to come out with a full face helmet with an internal sun visor!
    [​IMG]

Here is the full detailed review:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NZvMbAm1Hl0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The J-Cruise is a great option if you're looking for an open face helmet. After reading Colebatch's ride reports :clap I'm really considering picking up one of these. I really like the idea of being able to see everything in front of you unrestricted, and interacting with people on the open road "face to face" is definitely a big plus.
    [​IMG]

Detailed review of the J-Cruise:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NEnfxmEw35o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you guys have any questions feel free to post them here in this thread, comment on our videos, and connect with us on Facebook (if you do the FB thing): http://www.facebook.com/Compacc
  3. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Can't play the video on this laptop, but could you tell us if the fit of this lid similar to the RF series of Shoei helmets?:ear
  4. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fullmonte. I've spent a bit of time in the RF-1100, and compared to the GT-Air, they do actually feel fairly similar. In the video we weigh a Large RF-1100 at 3.65lbs, and the Large GT-Air was 3.7lbs. Obviously the biggest differences are the GT-Air has the internal drop down sun visor, a different outer shell shape, and a different ventilation system. The top scoop on the GT-Air bring in a LOT of air, but it's right up on top of your head, whereas I feel the RF-1100 might have a bit more of an even ventilation throughout the helmet.

In terms of fit I felt that the GT-Air was a little on the snug side compared to the RF-1100, with the same overall internal shape.

So I guess the short answer would be... kinda. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    What shape head do these best fit?
  6. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The full face is Snell certified, right?
  7. Bravo21

Bravo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's my question as well. Early reports are only DOT, which doesn't make sense, considering it's a full-face Shoei.
  8. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Similar to other Shoei's, the GT-Air has an intermediate oval internal shape.

Actually the GT-Air is DOT only. I am sure the current Snell requirements would have led to a heavier helmet. None of the full face helmets equipped with internal sun visors that we currently carry have the Snell M2010 certification.

That being said, you are still getting a Shoei helmet with AIM shell construction and a multi-piece EPS foam liner. I wouldn't have a problem trusting this helmet, but of course that is a personal choice.
  9. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried one on at the Progressive Motorcycle Show in Charlotte, NC and then ordered one from Competition Accessories. Today was my first chance to give a real tryout with a 212 mile ride to Virginia for lunch and back home.

I like it. It is at least as quiet as my Qwest or RX-Q and I am now a big fan of the tinted, flip down visor. Most of the time, I don't want sunglasses, but sometimes I need them. Today, I flipped the visor down when needed and up when going north. I am way sold on the idea. Near the end of the ride we headed right into the low, late winter, late afternoon sun and the visor was plenty dark enough for me.

There isn't a Snell sticker inside so I assume those who say it is not Snell certified are right.

Some say it is tighter than other helmets. I can't tell for sure because I wear a medium and they all seem very tight in the jaw area when new and comfy after a few thousand miles. I assume this one will loosen up a bit and a bit is all I'd want it to loosen.

Regards, Chuck
  10. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear Chuck. The GT-Air really is a fantastic helmet, I was really sad to send my sample back after putting a few hundred miles on it myself. The Shoei internal visor is one of the best I've tried. It is one of the only visors with an ANSI certification, guaranteed optically correct.
  11. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've lost weight recently so my Shoei Qwest Large no longer fits. I was really hoping the GT-Air would be the replacement, if only for the sun visor, but alas, the fit on the Air is way different than the Qwest-- the large is too large, and the medium is smaller/tighter than the Qwest medium. The medium GT-Air feels fine once it's on my head, but it's the first helmet I've ever tried that is literally *physically painful* to remove-- no manner of finger-finagling could get the helmet off my head without painfully bending my ears.

It's a shame because I love the GT-Air, I just wish it fit. My other choice was to go to the Shoei Neotec in medium, but at a $100 more than the GT-Air (and $300 more than the now-discounted Qwest), that's a rich price to pay just to get a sun visor (and I don't really want a modular).

Anyway, just be aware that IME the GT-Air is a significantly different fit than the Qwest.
  12. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    daveinva - I found the large fit me quite comfortably (maybe slightly loose), when I almost always take a medium - including a quest/rf-1100 etc. So I agree, the sizing on the GT-Air is just a bit different. Not enough to really recommend going up or down a size right off the bat - but just be aware that it's a little tighter than what I've seen from Shoei in the past.

Here's a little follow up video with my initial thoughts/impressions after putting some miles on the GT-Air. If anyone else has any questions we are happy to help!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3S15L_eHfLg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>