Te Hopos Suzuki DRZ400E

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Te Hopo, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    So with the old XT225 getting a bit long in the tooth it was was definitely time to upgrade.
    Basically I was wanting some more power, better suspension, similar weight and more capability, all while still having a relaxed maintenance schedule.
    I had narrowed it down to the DRZ400 and the WR250R, well this DRZ came up first at the right price with about 75% of the mods done already, only 10,000kms on the clock and only $4500

[​IMG]

Already fitted:
    Half used Pirelli MT21's front and rear (the only tire I use, I get them cheap and like them)
    Hyde Racing polymer skid plate
    CFC Engine Armor on both sides
    MSR large footpegs
    DRC Edge2 LED tail light
    Ballards Free Flow Exhaust tip (still very quiet though)
    Aftermarket air filter
    Rejetted carb
    A heap of suspension upgrades front and rear for an 85kg rider (I'm around 90kg so close enough) with a lowering link (I'm a bit of a short arse :lol3)

So I rang the owner, got to talking and decided it was the one.
    Only thing is it was up in Auckland, the good news been it was only a few kms from my Dads place.

So last Thursday I flew up, spent a few days with the old man and collected the bike, kept a real close eye on the forecast and then Saturday, I booked it down to Wellington.

It was a gorgeous day, I left Auckland around 9am in beautiful sunshine and got into the groove (or was that the seat got into my butt groove? :huh).
    Yup, the seat is certainly not forgiving and I was having to stop for 5 mins every 50km just to stretch out a bit.

The desert road was certainly spectacular:
    [​IMG]

My sisters tell me I take too many scenery pics and not enough selfies, well I ain't one to take a selfie in front of a bathroom mirror:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there I rode through 25kms of snow showers down to Waiouru, the temps weren't that bad really, I've commuted in worse:
    [​IMG]

Further south it got colder again:
    [​IMG]

But from Hunterville south I was back into clear sunshine, it was a stunning ride down to Levin where I stopped in for a short visit with my Nana before finishing the ride down to Wellington, getting in at 7pm after 694kms for the day.

It seemed like only a few beers and a curry, yet it was 2am?! :freaky

After a cruisey morning to let the head recover, I caught the afternoon ferry and was finally home:
    [​IMG]

So now onto future mods, I have already ordered:
    Seat Concepts seat
    Seat Concepts rear rack
    Zeta Armor Handguards (those are just some flimsy Zeta wind deflectors on there)

And others to come yet:
    A change of gearing, maybe a switch from the 14/47 to the DRZ400S gearing of 15/44
    IMS 15+L fuel tank
    A windscreen, maybe an upgraded lightweight headlight/screen unit?
    Folding mirrors
    Some form of panniers and racks, I'm really liking the Andystraps Expeditions for their shear simplicity.

So far the honeymoon is going well, it rides nice on the road, has heaps of grunt and sure carves up the corners.
    This weekend I'll be looking to hit some trails somewhere and get a feel for it's gravel handling. :deal
  2. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike :) That must have been hard work for your arse if they're as bad as a DR650 seat.
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Haha I think it might have been worse as its only about 100mm wide down it's length.
    I did think of taking some padding but it was a rush trip and it got better as time went on, I guess I was just going numb. :lol3

But thats only a short term issue.
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good buy! Will be a bit of a weapon compared to the XT.

Your rear tyre budget might have to be expanded a bit with more hp on tap :wink:... I like MT21 fronts for a lot of riding also but I've found the Motoz Tractionator rears last heaps better than the MT21, give very similar traction, & cost about the same or less.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yup, having the power to roll on and overtake is certainly nice.

I'll have a look and see what price the MotoZ local dealers can do for me as I'll give them a go for sure if I can get a longer lasting rear.
  6. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Mr RMoto was just murmuring something about producing some fibreglass screens today :evil Although not a whisper on price yet, I'm sure they'll be reasonable.

No doubt you've seen it, but...

[​IMG]

I reckon you could just about pull off black studded leather jacket and pants to complete the look of that bike haha. Functional and probably a future purchase of mine too none the less :D
  7. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Nice....
  8. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yea I spotted that this evening but it's too bulky for my liking.
    I'm thinking of switching out the headlight/speedo unit as there's apprently a few kg's up high there.

I'm still not sure whether to go for a plastic 8" round light and screen, I reckon I could make up something similar to this Baja Designs light and Carducci Dual Sport screen for a lot less cost....
    [​IMG]

....or ultralight and sleek like this Trailtech X2:
    [​IMG]
  9. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    When I was helping you move the other week, wasn't that a studded gimp mask I saw under your bed? :lol3
  10. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    First pic hasn't shown up, but I guess it depends where you prefer to be buffeted by wind :D I never asked how you liked the standard one on the ride down? I'm not a fan of the 350s but it's tolerable.

Couldn't say as I haven't seen that since you laid eyes on it....:dunno
  11. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I made my own light screen setup to mount the std 7" H4 size round light:

[​IMG]

A bit of work to make it light, strong & compact but it came out quite well.

Cheers
    Clint
  12. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    They're a lot of fun.
    Funnily enough a guy from Auckland was looking for an adv bike on KB a couple of weeks ago. A DRZ came up in Nelson which he had shipped up to Auckland. Pity the timing wasn't better for both of you.
    I bet you got to know all the petrol stations on the way down, my one drank like a fish. I had to get a safari tank to satisfy it.

I see a traltech vector in your future
  13. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    Just wait until the leather handlebar tassels are fitted, then we'll be stylin!

Bulky but practical for my style of riding plus I need a big dash to house all my doohickies.

There is the Lynx screen option which has the option of of HID lighting:
    http://www.britanniacomposites.com/index.php/productmenu/lynxmenu

[​IMG]
  14. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same model DRZ a few years ago. Bloody good bike. I used it for trail rides, adventure, and road.

Only issue I had was the close ratio gearbox. Had motard wheels for the road and multiple sprocket options from 13/48 to 15/39. I found the best option was a 43 tooth rear, and swap between 13/14/15 on the front depending on the terrain. It lugged a little with the 15 front, but mine had a standard pipe. Yours may pull a little harder.
  15. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Taz, I edited my post above to show my inspiration for a light/screen set up which is actually extremely similar to Clints set up.
    The stock one did nothing but let every gust of wind hit me square in the chest.

What brand is your light Clint?
    The 7" looks like a great size, also what size bulb are you running?

Yea Padmei, I'm thinking a Trailtech might be good for the added features besides it's compact size, the stock gauges are pretty basic.
    I had called up the guy to view that DRZ in Nelson but I missed out by only a day.
    Oh well, that's the way things happen sometimes.
    And yea, there were a lot of fuel stops on the way down, it's certainly fun cracking the throttle open and actually been able to easily pass another vehicle on the road but it doesn't help the fuel consumption. :lol3

Rmoto, I do like the Lynx but damn thats some dollars.
    I read your article about your bike, definitely an awesome setup and I can see the appeal of your screen unit, I bet it's awesome on those long highway stretches.

Bart, thanks for the gearing suggestions, that sounds like a real good compromise.
  16. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    hunt down someone wrecking a djebel they have the large round headlight and a good mount system
  17. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Any more info about that top bike?
  18. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Look in the build section here for jimmythehogs dual sportster or google carducci dual sport :D

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
  19. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Ahh, yeah we've talked about those before. They sure do look purrrdy. Guess it comes down to cost?
    One of those X2 units went for $50-60 bucks on trademe a few weeks back.

And that Britannica gears is minnnnttttt, but hell spendy to get it here, well even before you add the bells and whistles and convert it she's up there.
    There was some place in Greece that does a whole bunch too but I can't remember what they were like price wise.

I'd probably work out what you want light wise then see how it all comes together from there.
  20. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'm now only wanting some durable, light, simple road lighting and a bit more wind protection.
    I can see that with a good quality headlight and home made screen.

For the additional lighting wanted for gravel and tracks, I'll stick with my powerful headlamp clipped onto my helmet peak. Its been working excellent on the mountain bike

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2