Fathers Day Weekend - Central West NSW Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by DustyWheels, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    Seems its been left up to me to do the ride report, bit time poor atm so just few pics and words from from me, I'm sure the others will fill in the gaps

Day 1
    Where we went
    [​IMG]
    as arranged arrived at Chrisscross's right on time and low and behold Chris was actually ready, although a little cold in the crisp morning air
    [​IMG]
    First stop was to meet V-Chops @ Bilpin for a Coffee at the Pines, but Don obviously has a slight Slight impediment as he couldnt find it or the Fruit bowl :eek:mg:
    The run through the watagans/ St albans was a bit of a challenge given the low temps and rolling fog along the River at St Alban.
    Wheelbarrow Ridge was a blast as always.
    Mount lagoon was "interesting" given the thick layer of freah pea sized gravel yikes
    after meeting Chops and Uncle Dave at Mount Vic. servo we headed towards O'connel for lunch via Cox's Gap.
    after lunch we circumnavigated Bathurst with a next stop at Ohpir, via Lower Lewis ponds
    Ohpir
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the plan then was to head out from Mullion Ck and link up with long Point rd, but a closed gate and road closed sign had us think we'd need to double back, but after Chris consulted the locals, we pressed on out intended route.
    wasnt long and we arrived at Molong our destination for the day, with enough time for a world Famous Geloto drool and Coffee .

Day 2
    Where we went
    [​IMG]
    After getting a bum steer from the publican re breakfast at the cafe, we high tailed it to Cumnock for egg and bacon Rolls and a Caffiene hit, then it was a bit more slab to warm up on before hitting the real dirt just out of Trewilga.
    Nice open gravel roads with a slight biuld up of gravel to keep you honest, but a hell of lot of fun
    [​IMG]
    After a refuel at Tullamore, Chops decided to slab it into Albert, while the rest of took the opottunitty of exploring a few backroads that followed the train line to Albert Silos, sure glad we did as it turned out to be a pearler, will be viisting it again next time I'm in the area for sure :thumb:
    Lunch was at the infamous Rabbit trap hotel, an icon to locals and the Adventure set
    [​IMG]
    after lunch we headed to the Cairn the denotes the Geographicial centre of NSW, made from Slag from the now long gone Copper mine the operated during the 50's
    [​IMG]
    we then headed to Tottenham on fast backroads,
    [​IMG]
    Dave decided relucantly that he should head back home to the Blue mountains, as he was unsure if his leave for the monday and tuesday had been approved.
    A big call at 14.30 in the afternoon, but Dave loves a good ride so took it in his stride
    Tottenham was a buzz for a Sunday afternoon ::rofl, so we headed to Warren via Nevertire, on thin strip of bitumen that is the road
    after checking in to the Royal Hotel, a dust settler or two was comsumed before a rather enjoyable Chinese meal the the Local RSL.

Day 3
    Where we Went
    [​IMG]
    After breaky at the local Cafe, we headed for Gularganbone via a sandy detour through Pine Clump, it was a challenge to be sure and hats off to Don for wrestling the V-Strom through the sand, tourance tyres and all :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one things for sure these roads were built for big Adv. bikes :thumb::yo:
    [​IMG]
    our next point of call was the Warrumbungles as seen here away in the distance
    [​IMG]
    The Slab run through the Warrumbungles was a change of pace with some great twisty sections
    [​IMG]
    Chris obviously enjoying the moment
    [​IMG]
    Some breath taking view from the lookout at the Telescope
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A washed out bridge just out of Ulamimbri meant our run through Box Ridge and Ropers Road was looking doubtfull, but a side road just as we headed into Purlewaugh (a town of significance to a certain Trans Alp rider Whisler) had us pretty much on track, after much consulting of Gps's and maps.
    lots of sand on this section some of which was quite deep, usually when you least expected it (lots of "oh shit" moments)
    but other sections were a joy to ride
    [​IMG]
    We finally reached the Black Stump Way, enroute for Pandora's Pass, where I once again had an "encounter" with the same Causeway I came to greif on in march on the way home from my Bingara ride, but the less said about that the better.
    Chris showing the correct line
    [​IMG]
    Pandoras Pass, seem to be making a habit of stopping here lately
    [​IMG]
    from the Pass it was a quick blast into Coolah for a well earned refreshment or three after a eventful day
    anyone remember the movie "the Sheralee"
    [​IMG]

Day 4
    where we went
    [​IMG]
    our last day, so the plan was to just headed towards Broke with enough time for everyone to get home at a reasonable time, taking in some great backroads enroute.
    The first of which was Rotherwood Rd which ends with a nice down hill run into Cassilis, next it was Wollara Rd and a quick stop at Lee's Pinch Lookout
    [​IMG]
    these pics don't do the distant vistas due justice, so get out there and have a look for youself, in fine weather it's truely breathtaking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after a spirited run through the Bylong Valley, we had a hearty lunch at one of Denmans fine cafe's, before heading towards Broke on more backroads were we waved good by to V-chops, at The Broke Servo it was a Splash and Dash, with Chris and I going our seperate ways
    I arrived home tired, but still buzzing from a most enjoyable few days on the road, having clocked up 1645 fun filled ks
    Thanks to Chris, V-chops and Dave for your good company, look forward to riding with you all sometime soon
    mr bones likes this.
  2. pugsley

pugsley Little Man

Oddometer:
    looked like a good time fellas!
  3. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Ripper :clap

Thanks for sharing.
  4. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great read. Alot of the tracks/trails/roads you wer on around Bathurst/Orange/Cumnock/Molong are in my backyard. You have inspried me to dust off the 'Strom and go riding.:thumb
  5. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    Love the Bathurst/ Orange area sooo much good riding