Poor Sealing of CPR Rottweiler Filter-Anyone Else Notice This?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by AdvRonski, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Kafn8td

Kafn8td Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea on the reflective insulating material, I didn't think of that.

NYLuke, reread CPR's first post. I think they said they stand behind their products 100%.
  2. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.

Thanks for understanding my intentions back at the beginning of all this.
    Really.

BTW- This gentleman's post is what being helpful looks like, folks.
  3. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    I've been interested in this filter and reading about this issue it seems that the solution to this could have been quickly handled to satisfaction if the OP had first contacted the manufacturer.

First off I find it challenging to take seriously a "40 year Automotive Master Tech" who also seems to have an attitude of, "If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway." :D (tongue in cheek here, don't get your feathers ruffled)

Secondly, rather than simply asking if anyone else has ever seen this, the OP could have been more resourceful than trying to paint the product and the OEM as the source of the problem before any attempt to resolve the issue with them directly.

On the other hand, I think that the CPR guy was trying to keep it light and was taken as being flippant. One of the hazards of being a normal guy learning the pitfalls of customer service. His point regarding how the OP brought his problem to the forum before contacting the manufacturer is illuminating, just the same.

If this filter was not lined up correctly on install, and the Dzus was forced, and the filter frame distorted over whatever amount of time it was held like this in a higher temp environment, then, I can see how the OP would need to do something to get everything back to its natural shape. However, I would think someone with this amount of automotive experience would know that the best way to accomplish this would be to remove everything, warm it up, line it up, then leave it in a box with a warm lamp for a while to return to its original shape. Rather than trying to clamp it in place at ambient temps and expect this to undo a deformation that happened over time at warmer temps.

In answer to the OP's question, the OEM rep and several other users of the product indicated that, yes, alignment is something that takes a little finesse, and, yes, taking a more ham-handed approach could result in a poor fit.

At this point I think that the OEM is offering to do whatever it takes to make things right, asking that the OP will only contact them directly so they may use the appropriate channels to accomplish this.

This is an issue of physics, clouded by emotion. Remove the emotional aspect and address the physical and the solution will become crystal clear.

Then, maybe CPR might have a returned filter in stock that I could procure on the cheap along with a new base plate. :evil
  4. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
  5. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    SW, thanks- I may take you up on the template, but I'm going to have to think about just making a filter holder for a simpler, cheaper filter, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a $6 paper filter on there that could be easily swapped out.

Jesus.
    Some of us have admired Ronski's projects here for a few years- aux tanks, suspension rebuilds, etc. I don't know where you got the idea that he started off trying to smear the manufacturer, it looks like someone asking a question and trying to fix a leak in his air filter to me.
  6. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Like I said, wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, but following this thread it seemed that emotion from a number of posts might have been taking precedence over getting to the solution.

Just pointing it out in hopes of you getting the bike back in action, that's all.

Please accept my apology if what I wrote came across differently than I intended. I'm just excited about the prospects of this filter, and from what I've seen in this thread the problem could very well have been caused during installation.

As for the ham-fisted aspect, I was really talking more from my experience than I was accusing you of being ham-fisted. I've made similar mistakes trying to "fix" something without taking the time to disassemble and ended up with similar results as your pictures show. No offense intended, other than to myself.

I remember reading that thread on the tank. Nice job!
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Yeah, one idea I had was to just make two individual aluminum plates, and put a KTM dirtbike filter over each. . . or a uni cylinder.
    But the other option is to make a frame to hold in a long rectangle filter above the trumpets. The filter on my f-250 looks roughly like the right shape, and it's less than $5 for a replacement filter. I don't have too many worries about getting enough air through a filter made for a 7.3 liter diesel truck. We'll see if I get to it. . . . .

Foam filters are great, but I think a paper filter would be fine too if I could replace it quickly and for $5 instead of $40.
  9. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Very much so. We did extensive back to back temperature sensor testing originally with aluminum base plates vs injection molded plastic and a myriad of other composites and found the intake temperatures with aluminum to be as much higher as 50 deg or more F as aluminum is a natural heat soak. This was unacceptable and we found great results with the Super Tough Nylon second gen.

Almost all intakes these days are made from Nylon plastic for this exact reason and moving forward we found numerous reasons to use Nylon with the additional benefit of weight savings and a factory fit and finish. We will post a video in a few moments showing the proper technique to fit the filter. It is very simple when done correctly with just 2 fingers.
  10. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    http://rottweilerperformance.intuitwebsites.com/Videos.html?_=1359499507164

Proper Filter Installation:

Here is a link to a simple video demonstrating the proper way to attach your Rottweiler Intake System Filter to the CPR Fab base plate. Please take a moment to see how simple it is when done properly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j8JWPSXSFcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. jjohn82

jjohn82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is exactly how mine works. I like it.

12. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Just a little off track here but, is the standard airbox with a decent filter in it really that bad? $300 worth of better?
  13. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Just a little off track here but, is the standard airbox with a decent filter in it really that bad? Is this set up $300 worth of better?
  14. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Weird. Posted twice!
  15. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    $300 for a dynoed 10 hp gain on a superduke seems like a great investment to me. Usually a 10%+ hp increase will cost you a lot more.
  16. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:

299.00 Rottweiler Intake System all KTM Big Twins
    10 HP = $30 per HP and - 3.6 Lbs less weight

2000.00 Typical Akropovic Exhaust System, very few models full system
    10 HP = $200.00 per HP

You decide...

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/
  17. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    10 increase over standard? Measured or claimed?
  18. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
  19. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Quite the salesman aren't you?
  20. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the first wave of the CPR buyers when these hit the market. I didn't buy it for more power. It is a cleanable full size oiled foam filter like I had been wanting since I bought my 950. In extreme dusty conditions, the stock paper filter plugs up in a long weekend. The CPR filter along with quick-remove pre filter is far superior to the stock set up, and also to the uni pre filter set up, which is too small and is a power restrictor.

It is expensive, but you don't have to buy paper filters anymore. Maybe it is not for everyone but it is just what I was needing.