The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone know best fix for rattling clutch baskets
  2. AckAckFlack

AckAckFlack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just recently treat my mistress to new suspension.
    A set of Ohlin rears.
    The bike has been transformed , taller and sweet over the rough stuff[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also changed the fork oil for some heavier grade - much less dive now.
  3. Twiniver

Twiniver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey AckAckFlack.

less dive you say, from front fork oilchange.... I was told that the oil was controling the rebound.....

Im confused....

Twiniver<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_18063930", true); </SCRIPT>
  4. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    Gary - I hope you've moved the remote preload adjuster to the exhaust hangar since you took the photos..................:evil:evil:evil
  5. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Sell the Ducati :D

With old damper rod style forks (like on the AT) the oil viscosity affects BOTH compression and rebound. That's why they are so difficult to get right. If you don't like the pitching forward under braking, you go with heavier oil but then you pay when you hit sudden hard (think running over a 2 X4) bumps.

IMHO, the most cost effective fix for the AT forks are Ricors Intiminators. That way you get the dive reduction AND in improvement in bump control.

A few inmates have used these on the RD07s and have had good things to say. Search the thread for more specific data.

............they paint Ohlins GOLD for a reason...........
  6. Twiniver

Twiniver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ladder106.

Thanks for your answer, its not that i dont belive in you, but since i was told that it only effects the rebound, i guess im not convinced. When i took my fork apart, i also put in some heavier grade oil, and the small spring on top of a progressive spring, the small one was not there before, so im really looking foreward to trying the new setup when it the bike out next thursday.

Twiniver
  7. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Well next time you have your forks apart, remove the spring and keep the oil inside.

Then push down hard on the fork leg. If the tube drop like a slide hammer, then there is no compression damping. If it take some force to compress it and it compresses slower (what really happens, trust me) then there is compression damping. The ONLY thing that creates damping (other than the slight friction in the moving parts) is the oil trying to flow through small holes.

Or you could just put some STP or other horrendously thick oil in there....grease maybe....and see what happens when you hit a bump. (refer to avitar)
  8. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Replaced the front wheel bearings and getting ready to put the wheel back on. Do I need to pack the area between the speedo gear and the bearing with grease or is grease on the speedo drive gear all thats needed?
  9. AckAckFlack

AckAckFlack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeh dad I moved it hehehe
    Actually I moved it twice as I then got issues with the end can. I just used that pic as you can see both units in the shot.
    Re front fork oil changing - I use my bike offroad an onroad - I had no issues with the ride on road but being 105kg it was causing issues offroad. On a couple of occasions I had them bottom out and the bashplate was hit hard. As the original oil was old and I had the bike in for the rear I decided to change from 5 to 10 (thanks for the advice from Johnathan at www.ruggedroads.co.uk for all the advice). The old oil was well ready for changing and the new has made it feel stiffer - agreed, but far better on the rough stuff.
    The long term idea is to change the front end for a sexy sacchs front end from rugged roads , once I have saved pennies and as such decided that the Richor intimidators was only going to be used for 6 months or so.

Next time I am out I am going to ask one of my mates, who had a twin and now rides a 950ktm to take it for a run on the rough stuff to see how it compares.
  10. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats good or we were going to visit and put a BAT up your night dress:evil

when you get the Sachs ill come visit and give you a hand , then once they are on we can drink beer and stare at the bike:freaky
  11. AckAckFlack

AckAckFlack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I knew there was something I was going to warn the forum. When ordering from www.ruggedroads.co.uk
    When you get to the end there is a tick box that asks if it is ok to visit you with a BAT an put it up your night dress ... Remember to untick it.

Chad I told stormforce you were not getting close to my bike as I have seen what you have made people to to dirty bikes (think 4x bats!)
    ;-)
    Looking forward to Sachs , beer, staring though
  12. Twiniver

Twiniver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope that i wont have to take my fork apart for along time, but when that time comes, i sure will think of Ladder106 and do the Ladder106test :nod.

And once again, thanks for your answer...
  13. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    got my 750 lump back from having its output shaft and a good internal overhaul done today:wink:

the offending shaft
    [​IMG]

and the new one in place:D

[​IMG]

my build can now begin in earnest:bubba im like a bloody kid in a sweet shop at the mo:evil
  14. AckAckFlack

AckAckFlack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First time I had brought the 2 twins together since fitting the ohlins - monster on the left
    [​IMG]
  15. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    High and happy :D
  16. @dreamer

@dreamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this questions already out there but does the Sachs front end need their front fairing as well or can you use the original from the RD04.

Keith
  17. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you sure can :evil heres a set on an RD04 thats going to be stormforces next wee project:deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Next project.....hmmmmmm...what, praytell, will become of those nice standard body parts.

hint

hint
  19. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that he hoards parts worse than a squirril hoards nuts :evil:D:D:D:D
  20. Dutchy506

Dutchy506 Adventurer

Oddometer:

did you have to pull the entire engine apart to fit this?