couple of 2012 r1200gs adventure questions

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by farminhunter, Nov 21, 2013.

1. farminhunter

farminhunter n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting my first GS and noticed a local 2012 r1200gs adventure for sale. It has an extended warranty, five year. How much should this add to the cost of the bike? the bike was bought 13 months ago.
    In 2012 the adventure model has a larger gas tank, correct? How much larger? Where does it carry the extra fuel, under the seat, or in the normal in front of your gut location?

Just joined the forum, but the gs bug bit me bad, getting one has almost replaced the "other" thing that guys think about most often!
    thanks
  2. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    I cannot speak to the warranty matter - but certainly a nice to have item. The Adventure tank carries 8.7 gallons - or roughly 3 gallons more than the standard tank. The Adventure also has slightly different ride height and at least in earlier models had slightly lower gearing in the final drive.
  3. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Few things about the Adventure, but first, I wouldn't necessarily pay the premium for the extended warrenty, having said that, it's a hot bike and if it is priced fairly, it will sell quickly.

The GSA gastank is 9.6 gallons (or close to it) it is all stored up in front of you, not a big issue, but if I was going to ride it like I stole it, I usually only filled it half way.

I recommend the topic on this forum "100 threads every GS owner should read" TONS of info there.

After almost 160K miles on my '08 and '10 adventures, I whole heartedly recommend them for a bike that will thrill you and piss you off, many times at the same time! :evil

Take the plunge to the dark side!
  4. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    You also might want to add your location
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You own a K-bike and are calling the R-bike the dark side?:huh

Jim :brow
  6. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:

Wishful thinking. Try about a gallon less (8.7gal)
  7. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    The dark side, as in dark chocolate Man...
  8. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    My bad, maybe I was mezmerized by all of the dollars I spent filling it up, lol.
  9. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually go to kbb.com and look at high and low value, then grade the condition of the bike to determine what I'm willing to pay.

Be sure the extended warranty is transferable, factor in luggage if it comes with it.

Check service records as well, bike is still pretty new so it should be easy to do.

Come up with a top price that you are willing to pay then go for it, or move on if the price is too high.

I'm glad I went with the 2012 GSA.

Good luck, and welcome.
    Regards.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Jim :brow