Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :huh Jesus. Lolo didn't have that big a meltdown and she lost the !$^@$^ Olympics. I think if I were that cameraman, it'd be hard for me to keep from :razor but then I am a bad person sometimes.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Great so the cops are really on to the baddies.
    As usual the least common denominator is a cop.
    Big surprise.

"I focused on the purple clad chick".
    Loser.

Just drive on by and go look for some teens skateboarding, you might be able to handle that.

I'm guessing the officer a single, OK lets just go with big boned, white guy with issues...

Yes, I came of age in the 60's and I think most people in charge are asshats. Other than that I'm good.:lol3

I know a couple of lawyers who would beat that guy like rented mule.

:mulie

:rofl

3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I used to race against a guy at the track in Sandy Eggo with only one leg. He was tough to keep up with

M
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yea? Well, I once raced against a guy with NO legs and... :lol3

Seriously, I did once encounter another rider on the trail who was missing both legs. He was riding a specially designed recumbent which allowed him to pedal with his arms. I remember thinking to myself that he couldn't go far because the arms just don't have enough strength in them. Imagine my surprise as I was heading back to see him still on the trail, not far behind me. He had traveled about 15 miles by then. :huh
  5. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    HEY! :ken
  6. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    On Sunday my Daughters and I went for a ride on the tandem and trail-a-bike. It was a 20 mile ride on a rail trail. About 3 miles in we passed a guy with one leg...... It was quiet for a couple of minutes, I was hoping they missed it. I answered questions about it for the next 17 miles. When we hit the end and turned around I knew we were in for it when we saw the guy again. As soon as they saw him they started yelling "HEY DAD! THERE IS THAT GUY WITH ONE LEG!!!! HOW DOES HE DO THAT! WHAT HAPPENS WHEN HE STOPS!! etc. etc" Luckily he seemed to have a good sense of humor.
  7. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    hop and change ... gears?
  8. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    totally off topic execpt that its bicycle related.

bicycle was my gateway drug to the motorcycle universe. Now that I have been in the motorcycle universe my poor bike hasnt been ridden in a month not to mention it has been missing my general attention and focus. I enjoy both but I do miss my bicycle.
  9. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strange as it sounds, for me it was just the opposite. Since I started bicycling, I haven't ridden the motorcycle once. I put a new battery in it yesterday and was surprised to see that it fired right up after having sat still for so many months. :huh
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    My Adventure gets ridden daily. Until the weekend then I generally ignore it and take the bicycle. There was a time when putting 500 to 1,000 miles on that bike over a weekend was pretty normal.
    And the bicycle as often as I can. When I only work 8 hours I can ride everyday as long as I have daylight. Don't like riding in the dark with the critters.:cry

I don't mind the bunny rabbits, squirrels, and toyland deer. It's the coyotes and mountain lions I am not fond of coming upon in the dark. So far I've only seen coyotes and bobcat at night. This time of year we get more snakes about. I've seen rattlers here and they seem to like the climate so they get good sized. I also say a turtle on the trail it was a good 15" long at the shell and flopping along rather than scuttling. Very flat, green with a long snout. And it headed away from the river.

12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    sigh, my cruiser/hybrid that I built up from recycled junk and a lot of new parts got destroyed on sunday... I'd JUST switched the pedals to some BMX 'pin' pedals, which I was really happy with. it was on a hitch rack on the front of our E150 van, my wife was driving down I5 coming home from a 5 day camping trip up north, and had a blowout, lost control when she overbraked on the gravel and the trailer jackknifed, forcing her back out across the traffic lanes and into the side of a FedEx semitruck. Everyone is OK (ok, I have a busted #5 metarsal in my right foot), just wiped out the trailer, van, and bikes.

an hour earlier, we'd picnicked in Mt Lassen...
    [​IMG]

then, blam. next day at the tow yard, where we were loading our camping gear and my astronomy and photo gear into a u-haul...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RIP, Hybrid :(

a couple weeks before, just after I'd installed the pin pedals...
    [​IMG]
  13. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeebus! :eek1 Sorry to hear about the loss of your bikes, but you're incredibly fortunate that something much worse didn't happen.
  14. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Thank goodness it wasn't worse - that's a scary story bud.
  15. kannonbal

kannonbal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    holy crap! Sorry to hear this, but thank goodness it wasn't worse.

scary...
  16. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    Wow, Pierce, it could have been much worse! Stuff like that really puts life into perspective! The metal things can be replaced. Glad that you are ok...
  17. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that you and the family are safe Pierce!

Today its only 96 degrees, 5 degrees cooler than the last time I rode the bike! I think I will go ride here in a bit once I leave work!
  18. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Graphic pic.

Glad it all worked out as well as it did.
  19. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:

:yikes glad y'all are alright!
  20. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    North Baltimore down to the Harbor, then over to Fell's Point & back up Broadway in East Baltimore to 25th Street & back home . There are water mains & sinkholes showing up all over the city, so traffic is upgefuct and all the drivers are po'd. It's faster right now to slice through traffic on a bicycle, but man am I tired of dodging mirrors & doors. It's like being in a really slow mosh pit with a lot of metal hippos. .