Scooter rear tire life? How many miles are you getting?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by pjheckel, Nov 19, 2009.

1. pjheckel

pjheckel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK so I bought some pirelli SL 26 tires and put them on my Helix and my CH250, both lasted under 1000 miles, ouch! That's with normal commuting and aggressive weekend riding, no skidding or anything crazy. I just wanna ride my scooter, not change tires or work on it! So what is everybody else running and how many miles are you getting? BTW I just replaced the pirelli with a IRC MB99, will see how long it lasts and post the results. Happy scootering!
  2. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You must be really flying.
    Burning up a tire in 1000 miles? Wow.

With a CH250 I'd expect at least 3500-4000 out of a rear tire.
    Fronts usually get cupped before they wear out.

I once put 3.50-10 tires on my CH250 - Hey, I had 2 of them from a junked 150 -
    Those even lasted 2000 or so.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Pirelli SL-26 100/90-10 as my 2nd rear tire. Lasted me about 3,000 miles, my normal somewhat-aggressive riding with cargo on the rear rack most of the time. Either you had the bad luck to get a botch tire or...I don't know. 1,000 miles is just way too short of a lifespan!!:eek1
  4. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    I got my '04 Helix with just over 3K miles on a year ago with what I'm sure was the OEM Bridgestone. I put a Bopper on at 5100 and while in AR this past summer, stuck a new OEM Bridgestone on again at 9800. I would have made it part way home to MN, but didn't think I'd make it all the way. There's over 4K on this rear and I'm sure it will make 5K like the first one.

I don't run them until "Cord" and with my longer rides, seldom get maximum use out of tires because I like changing them at home.
  5. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Getting 15,000 miles out of the rears on my Burgman 650 and double that on the fronts.

.... and I'm talking under all conditions - round town commuting, freeway, twisties, gravel and sand...

WTF you doing to get so little?
  6. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting around 4,000 miles out of my rear tire on a Daelim s-2 250. About double that on the front.

I used to get over 3,000 out of cheap Chen Chins on my old Honda Elite 250 rear. If you are only getting 1,000 something is wrong or you kid is doing burnouts on it when you are not home.
  7. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Silverwing got new rear shoe at 11,000 and the front has 15,000 and still has good tread they are Bridgestone stock that have been replaced with the same. The front tire is 14' the rear is 13". The front tire ware seems it will go a long way.
    I still had tread on the rear when I changed it but I was headed on a 6 week trip so I change it out before leaving.
    There is a ware bar on your tire that will show when the tread has worn to the suggested replacement look for an arrow in a circle on the side of your tire then look in the tread and you will see a recessed rubber bar between the tread if you have ware down to the bar you have reached the recommended life of the tire.
  8. brockster

brockster Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer:
    Is this you???
    [​IMG]
  9. pjheckel

pjheckel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! I weigh far less than my scooter. That guy is probably riding a scooter because he couldn't find a car that he could fit in!
  10. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    I've got a Kymco Vitality 4T, one of the last real Kymco small displacement scooters, not that Chinese crap they sell now, and it's got about 14000 miles on the original tires.

There is no good reason to put sport tires on a scooter, unless you are seriously racing. The bodywork will scrape long before the tires let go, if you know how to ride.
  11. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Got a pair of Sava MC16 tires on my Peugeot scoot, put on by previous
    owner about 6000 miles ago. Front looks like new, rear is showing signs
    of wear, probably partly my fault.. sliding the rear end in the turns all
    the time, SM style .. :wink: but I'm sure it'll do another 4k if I behave. :evil

But it's a lot less weight to scoot around then your basic Helix.. being
    only 200lbs and not more then 5hp.

I remember seeing over 20k miles on OEM Huthinson tires on these
    Peugeot scoots (worked at a workshop), they _never_ wear out.
    :huh

That said, I got 15k miles and still counting on my 650R's OEM
    Bridgestones.. :evil

EDIT:
    Get these for NoWearAtAll, but similiar on grip.. The Hutchinson Funzy!

[​IMG]
  12. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    The MP3-250 loves to eat rear tires. Anywhere from 1500 to 3500 miles out of those. Not complaining, though...the grin factor is too high on that bike.

[​IMG]

Everything else I have - Stella, Super 9 -- seems to last forever. I haven't bothered keeping track of tire mileage on 'em.
  13. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I bought my Kymco with 16,000 KM on the clock and it is now over 27,000 KM. I still have the same front and I changed the rear at about 22,000. I may have changed the factory original for all I know. The front is getting close to the wear bars and I am a fair load to haul.

Kenda front and rear. I put on a Shinko in the back. I read many good reviews from the racer boy sites and they were cost effective.
  14. fish3006

fish3006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7,500 on the kenda rear on my people s250. wife's s250 has the same mileage; hers looks like it can 7,500 more. must be different driving styles ... :)
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm betting it also has to do with tire diameter. Less rubber to space those miles across, so they wear faster for the same distance travelled as, say, a 16" diameter tire.
  16. Roose Hurro

Roose Hurro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, when I was a kid, I knew a guy that fat who drove a VW Bug... the original air-cooled kind (this was back in the late 60's). I remember seeing his gut "engulf" the bottom of the steering wheel! :huh