Missing Directions Tab in Mapsource Routing

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by 9Dave, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    OK - aside from a bigger screen, probably my biggest desire in my III+ is to be able to have routes that are generated by picking a start and end point and the cities I would like to go through. So I was playing around in Mapsource to see what it would do.

As my version of Mapsource is 5 years old, I downloaded the latest and started to work through the Help screens to see what was included in the updated version. The Help referenced using "vias" to influence the route created.

I put together a simple route with waypoints at key intersections. When it calculated, all I got were direct legs between the waypoints, not using the roads. The Mapsource documentation says there should be a "Directions" tab on the route screen, but it is not displayed, not even grayed out.

I'm guessing the reason things didn't work as expected is because I have a 5 year old U.S. Road & Rec disk, v2.01, and the routing information is contained in the map data, and the software is smart enough to know it can't provide directions, so it doesn't show the tab. Anyone know if I am guessing correctly?

Thanks,

Dave
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether you get direct point-to-point routes or auto-routes is set by a global setting in File > Edit > Preferences > Routing > Route Style. This is a strange setting - it basically influences the way MapSource will compute the route then next time you create, edit, or recalc a route, but doesn't change routing on any routes currently open or saved. Having this setting be global, rather than a property of a route, is a another one of many aggravating things about MapSource.

I think most Garmin databases will auto-route in MapSource, but only a few will auto-route on the GPS. I don't think Roads and Rec ever had the info for GPS routing, but it might do it in Mapsource.

- Mark
  3. hgulledge

hgulledge Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can get auto-routing with Roads and Rec software.
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Correct, not even on the PC.
  5. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Bet I could if it were on a Mac, eh? :D
  6. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Well, that's interesting - I don't get the Routing tab in the File|Edit|Preferences. Tried Ctrl+Shift+P and that, as one would expect, is the shortcut to the same place.

Then I deactivated the Roads & Rec and went to "No Map" and tried again. Still nothing.

Weird....

Dave
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well, I meant PC as in personal computer, not Mac VS Microsoft. I know nothing of Macs.
    It wouldn't matter anyway though:D
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my MapSource (6.8), "No Map" still gets me the Routing tab. So I don't know what to tell you other than perhaps MapSource has been watching if you ever installed a database that auto-routes and leaves it disabled until it has seen one.

- Mark
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Same here, I'm still using 6.5 and I always get the "routing" tab, even if I select no map (or even Roads & Rec). I do have City Select installed though, so it can autoroute with that one.
  10. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Yeah - don't know. I'm guessing it's because Roads & Rec v2.10 has not routing information.

I sent an email off to Garmin's tech support this morning. I'll let everyone know what I hear.

Dave
  11. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Received a note from Garmin this afternoon. The confirmed my suspicions - Mapsource is keying off of Roads and Rec, which doesn't have any routing information. I'd love to know (in layman's terms) how the routing works with units like the 376C and the data from City Select.

Dave
  12. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Well, just got my 376C with the City Select v7 DVD. City Select has its own install which is in addition to Mapsource. Once I installed it, everything shows up!

:D

God, I'm having fun with this thing - and I haven't taken it out of the house yet! :clap :clap :clap