Prudhoe Bay, Alaska 2010

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dreamtour, Oct 3, 2009.

1. GOMA

GOMA Get Off My A$$

Oddometer:
    Marion Lake looks great. Thanks!

Do we need reservations in Deadhorse or just rockonup and expect a vacancy?
  2. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Prudhoe bay, and am at the university dorm right now. (If I would have known about this a few days ago, I would have saved some dough as opposed to Super8).

Anyway, get a reservation in PB. You need to call a day in advance to get on the tour, anyway.

Prudhoe Hotel is 907-659-2449. Caribou Inn (where I stayed) 659-2368. $235 got a room with two beds, food, and the tour.

Caribou Inn is apparently now running the tour.

Weather wise, I hit rain in spots, and construction where they seemed to have grooved the hard packed dirt like you see grooved pavement, only with a couple inches of slop on top.

Road bikes could make it fine. With tourances or similar and a little judgement you will be fine. I'd say on 95% of the road, if it wasn't for speed limits and animals, a person could run it 80 mph in control. Good traction most places. Watch for moose.

Hopefully I'll have some videos and pics on my ride report soon.

Jeff
  3. GOMA

GOMA Get Off My A$$

Oddometer:
    Just called the Caribou Inn. Gal at the desk seemed like I had three heads when I asked her for the $235 meal and tour deal. Told me 190 for the room (two beds) and $45 per head for the two hour tour.

Other hotel was 220 for a two bed room.

WTF over?
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Jack, I see you've done some work on your driveway.......... and is that new siding on your place....???
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    The tour leaves from the Arctic Caribou Inn (as it has for many years), but you don't have to stay there to take the tour - you can stay anywhere you want to, or nowhere in Deadhorse.

In another thread I had pointed out that the Prudhoe Bay Hotel was the place to stay if you didn't require the deluxe accommodations. :dunno
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    That's the guest quarters, the mansion is on the hill with the view. Bring your own linen if you're staying overnight.
  7. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
    Just finished today and now sitting in the College Coffee house. As for weather... Well, looking outside the window right now and it looks as if it's raining pretty heavily.

Road conditions for the highway; a few slick areas. Road is good conditions to Coldfoot. Then it becomes more dirt and gravel. A good set of knobbies will do you fine. If possible, stop by Adventure Cycleworks (http://www.advcycleworks.com/) if you plan to change out tires. Dan and Shawn are two great guys willing to offer a helping hand. They also have a pressure washer to hose your bike down after you get back. Shout out to those two guys and the work they're doing.

Gas; I ride a 1200 GSA and my buddy rode a KLR 650. We had to stop at each gas station for him to fill up. As for me, I think I could have done it by topping off in Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Deadhorse, back to Coldfoot, then finish off in Fairbanks. My buddy carried an extra gallon of gas on his KLR, just in case.

Wait a minute, weather update; it's now hailing big time outside. Think I'll have some more coffee.

Some sections of the road past Coldfoot on your way north, we were able to ride 70mph +. In my opinion, the road is pretty easy. Then again, I had knobbies on which helped out the traction greatly.

Camping; free camping at Five Mile spot right past Yukon river. Look for the Hot Spot Cafe turn out a few miles past the Yukon. Free camping at Arctic Circle. No camping anywhere near or in Deadhorse (Prudhoe). Other opportunities exist for those who like a little more primitive or remote areas. Just keep your eyes open near the streams.

Bears; Saw two Black Bears (Mom and older cub) this morning after they got done tossing garbage cans around the Hot Spot Cafe. Watch out for Moose on the roads.

I would post some pictures, but for some reason my camera dumped them during the transfer process. Perhaps I should do the highway one more time just to redo the pictures and video. This blows big style. At least my buddy still has his, which are better than the ones I took.
  8. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd agree. I didn't see anything that I felt would have warranted knobbies (unless it snows).

Really, I felt the road was fun, but not as nasty as people make it out to be.

I'll find out in the AM how the Dempster is.
  9. bergsteigen

bergsteigen One continent at a time.

Oddometer:
    Jeffin, let us know how the Dempster is. Thinking the same thing after Anchorage. Also, if you find anything out about HWY 6/ Taylor Highway that makes it easier to get from Fairbanks to Dawson, would greatly appreciate that one. Last bit of news I heard is it's still closed to washouts. Wondering if it closed to cars and RV's, but still passable by bike.
  10. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I heard, Hwy 5 will be closed for a couple of weeks, to all traffic.

The gal I spoke to said they were working 2 12 hour shifts and having a hard time finding enough materials.

I had to go all the way back around to White Horse and up. I hadn't planned on doing the Dempster this trip, but I've got the time...
  11. JeffinTD

JeffinTD Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I hear, it is now long delay 1 lane pilot car kind of thing. Check before you head out.