A Norton and Vino go North East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by oldxrider, Aug 19, 2013.

1. oldxrider

oldxrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The motivation for this ride was my wife's longing to visit the Tuscany region of Italy and what better way to do it than by motor scooter ( Edelweiss scooter tours ) the only problem was that she had never ridden more than 20 miles from home on her 125cc Vino. She and I are pretty well traveled having ridden through all the lower 48 states, Alaska and Nova Scotia all on an E-Glide but she has never traveled on her own bike or scooter. I'm all for scootering around Italy but felt she needed a little long distance riding or at least something that would simulate the days we would experiance on a tour. We decided to ride from the north Pittsburgh area to North East, Pa. ( about a 130mi. ride sticking to the back roads ) to visit my wife's sister for the weekend. I know it does not sound very challenging but it's her first solo trip and to make things interesting I decided to ride my 72 Norton Commando. Now this still might not sound like much of a challenge except the Norton has never really been more than 20 or 30 miles from home either. I aquired the Norton in the mid 80's as a basket case ( threw a rod at around 4500 miles )and restored it but never rode it very much because or a cronic low oil pressure problem. Last fall after rebuilding the engine again after a seizure I felt the oil pressure problem was solved and had been riding the bike at least once a week . So we made plans to leave on a Fri and return on Sun. travel the back roads and pack light.
    [​IMG]
    Packed up and ready to leave.
    [​IMG]
    First stop for lunch about 25 miles from home, the weather looked like crap but we were commited
    [​IMG]
    Had to take a picture of this guy's house in Sandy Lake, has a couple trees carved into a lighthouse and palm tree in his front yard with a little beach scene.
    [​IMG]
    The vino was very thirsty running flat out, the Norton mostly 3rd gear [​IMG]
    Got to Titusville and the road was blocked off with outhouses so we decided to stop for a beer.
    [​IMG]
    Excellent beer at the Blue Canoe.
    [​IMG]
    typical Pa. tree lined roads, no traffic except for a few Amish buggy's.
    [​IMG]
    Stopped at a local wood carver on route 6 that had some unusual pieces.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made it to my wife's sisters house around 5 pm ( happy hour ) and my wife was pretty proud of herself. The next morning I looked under the Norton to see how much oil had leaked onto my brother inlaw's new conc. and was surprised to see this.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it still had oil in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to get pictures at Lake Erie and the welcome to North East sign.
    The ride home on Sunday was pretty uneventful, another nice day with little to no traffic.
    [​IMG]
    Stopped for lunch and beer in Slippery Rock at the North Country Brewery.
    Made it home without any problems and my wife had a great time.
    Looks like I'm booking a tour to Tuscany.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your wife looked like she was having a fun time. I'm glad you two went on this little trip. It looked fun!:D
  3. Ks-Rydr

Ks-Rydr from the land of Toto

Oddometer:
    Wow, Love :tb that old Norton.... and It's just "Too Cool" :thumb using that green "Cycle" magazine bag. I still have one of those in the closet, :webers got it back in the 80's I think for renewing a subscription to Cycle. I've got a black one also :nod , Cycle offered it maybe 4 years later, again for renewing your subscription. Cool old bags, from a good magazing (IMHO). Looks like you guys had an enjoyable ride, thanks for taking us along ! :ricky
  4. RydRy

RydRy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    couldnt have said it better KS- that bag and norton are just awesome- very nice- love to see pics of it on a longer tour as you are no doubt planning!
  5. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "We'll done" for riders and bikes. :clap
  6. Fallstonray

Fallstonray Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Cool trip, love the Norton and scooter combo... We just picked up a scooter and my wife is beginning to ride it (although my 13 year old daughter rides it more), she has always rode 2-up with me in the past. PA has great back roads to ride, I love them myself. Have fun and enjoy!

BTW, that Blue Canoe Brewery place looks great! I would have stopped there for too.