Annoyed by Garmin Zoom Level detail? - Act now!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by MotoTex, Aug 1, 2012.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I think that was the OP's motivation for this thread--tell Garmin!

As for the "going riding" comment, I'll take that as a snub to those of us that live in snow country. :cry
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Going down "Memory Lane"? :lol3
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emm, weren't you just talking about using 'Canadian Enhanced Basemap'?

Isn't that the same age as US Road & Rec?

So you just might want to be careful talking about going down memory lane....

And Drtbyk - R&R shows more detail WHEN ZOOMED OUT. This particular discussion was about zoom levels and detail.

The latest maps definitely have more up to date information, but R&R often shows the old stuff that isn't on the new maps... stuff that might be closed, but then again, maybe not - and if it's not it's likely to be really fun!

Oh, and I've called Garmin several times.. long calls and discussions... Garmin is going to do what Garmin is going to do. They don't really seem interested in what WE (adventure riders) want. Even talked with a regional sales manager IN PERSON for an hour.... their priorities are not ours. I have over a dozen Garmin units, now I'm looking at an Android tablet and software. Worried about the ruggedness and viewability, but as my older Garmin's die they can no longer be fixed.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Of course, but I'm not using the gps equivalent of the 55 Chevy Belair to get there.

And I think you're taking my little joke the wrong way. I was being facetious.
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I understand the OP's discussion topic--I was the second poster on this thread and have been having this discussion here for going on 10yrs.

My experience with Garmin is quite a bit different from yours though. I have found them most willing to listen and occasionally they make requested changes. They don't always respond to my input, or others from this community that have taken their personal time to engage with Garmin, but I understand that since this community is a small percentage of their Motorcyclist customers. That being said, I always encourage folks here to communicate in a civilized manner with Garmin. These days, Garmin's preferred method for your communication is via the Garmin.com/ideas webpage. And, no, you won't receive a reply but your request(s) will be recorded with the appropriate group at Garmin.
  7. haket

haket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just happened across this thread, I've spend the last three weeks going back and forth with Garmin about this very detail, I cant see any roads on my Mexico topo unless I'm zoomed in to 0.5mi or less. No way to make it better either, it seems such an oversight and makes routing on the until next to useless. Why they just didnt tell me three weeks ago it can't be done is a mystery....
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    What Garmin GPS are you using? I've been using BiciMapas (Garmin Mexico Topo) maps for years and don't have any problem routing on it.
  9. haket

haket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've a 62s, the smaller roads are not visible over 0.5mi zoom. Topo lines rivers, waypoints etc all ok.
  10. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    If the software boys (Mac BaseCamp) can get dirt road and trail detail showing in BaseCamp at a 5 mile scale, it should be possible on a GPS unit I would think.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Pretty small display for wide area route planning but we all would like to have more road detail at higher zoom levels.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was very refreshing but over dressed. It got up to 80 and I had to make roll chart for 20 Mi of very tough trail. Think I will go to the club house and soak in the Jacuzzi.

Attached Files:

13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Possible maybe, but pixel density is an issue even on a 2.5"x4.25" (5"diag) display. Not that that is the reason we don't have more detail; because it isn't. The bottom line is that Garmin On The Trail & On The Road group's don't think you need/should have/want more detail and they have no justification to spend the money coding the additional data-layers feature that would allow folks to decide what they wanted to see or not see. Apparently, the masses agree with them.

There are only 25 people who have posted here. How many have sent Garmin a Feature Request? How many of the thousand(s) of viewers have sent a Feature Request? I, like I'm sure you (all), think there are tens of thousands who would prefer more map detail at higher zoom levels. But, I also think that most are like one inmate who shared with us in another discussion, "I'm not wasting my time communicating with Garmin to help them make their products better."

If you want to have a real impact, get 5,000 inmates to send the same Feature Request to Garmin.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was refering to detail at same Zoom level. Not even close. As soon as you zoom CN out to where you can see somewhat of a big picture the picture fades to blank.

On public land, almost all route designation included all roads that show on the 80's 1:100k maps (R&R).

Safe travel? Don't understand that one. Where I ride, you better not ride faster than you can see as you may come to a 10' drop off that was not there last week. I put on rides and people ask me how I ever found some obscure trail, it was on R&R or old topo but I probably had to hunt for it.
  16. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Keep the political crap in CSM and your career highlights in JM, please.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Sorry Dave... :hide
  18. Cheaperthanyou

Cheaperthanyou n00b

Oddometer:
    I am also frustrated with the lack of detail that is available on the screen. I used the link provided by the OP to try and help the cause.

I'm selling my bike with a Zumo 220 with plans to buy a new GPS with my new bike as i hate the thing. With the large screens and a faster CPU i presumed a new GPS would be better. I guess not?
  19. ArturS01

ArturS01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Check the detail on a TomTom unit i just spotted at Bestbuy.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461107817.427059.jpg
  20. ArturS01

ArturS01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is a Garmin from the same didplay. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461107906.393228.jpg